Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd start my own little journal and try to keep it up to date of all the stuff I've done. Admittedly, in my 3 years of ownership I've not done much but the stuff I have done has been fun and interesting. Learnt a whole lot of stuff too [8-|]. Now to start digging up old threads to update this one with! [:)]

Ok so I bought the car around the beginning of October '07, really low mileage and seemed genuine. It's only a 1.4S, so not the quickest thing - but was great on insurance, easily the best car in it's class for what I could buy at the time (still is I reckon), by far the nicest of the slow hatchbacks. Was totally standard lookswise (and still is):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So being a 1.4S it wasn't especially spec'd up, no MFA trip computer, armrest etc it did have nice stuff like electric windows, electrically adjustable + heated mirrors and electric tilt + slide sun roof, big improvements on my Mk3!

The first thing I bought, alongside some cleaning stuff, was some new wipers as the ones fitted were totally finished. I went for some Bosch Aerotwin replica type blades. Turned out they worked really good, looked way better than the standard ones, and in fact are still fitted to the car over 3 years later lol. Will be buying some replacements shortly. This thread has more pics: http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/161507/1067164.aspx#1067164, but here are a couple from there:

Before:

After:

Liking my toys, the next stuff I looked at doing was not upgrading wheels or installing R32 body parts, but to see if it was possible to upgrade my cluster from the poverty spec one to one with an MFA - with the full on trip computer, outside temperature display and so on. My car also only came with one key, which was annoying. I wanted at least one spare, ideally the full set (with the valet key etc) - and VW at the time were charging about £90 odd for an extra main key and plastic one I think. Was put off by people telling me to just pay a forum member that knows what they're doing do it, but I like to learn and am very much into this sort of stuff. Anyway, after a lot of time spent reading, learning, spending some money and experimenting I eventually figured it out. Did spend over a year reading/buying stuff though lol. This thread has a bit more detail and a few more pics: http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/239912.aspx

So after buying an upgraded instrument cluster, and upgraded wiper stalk with the integrated MFA controls, stripping the dash and doing all the neccessary wiring to get everything to work, recoding the instrument cluster and my key I went from:

Posted Image

to:

Whilst I was at it, I also enabled lit-needles as well as the miles-to-empty feature, VERY HANDY! Don't know why VW didn't do this standard on our cars:

I actually did this job in 3 parts, first I did the cluster swap (beginning of January 2009), then I think a few weeks later I did the wiper stalk upgrade (end of January 2009). I think a few weeks after that (some time in February 09) I got a spare (normal non-flip) key (purchased off ebay) cut and re-recoded my keys for a 2nd time. This gave me my main key that came with the car plus a good solid fully functional spare. I have a few good pics of the wiper stalk upgrade - quite a PITA, but enjoyable and great when it work. I'll update this with some pics later on. (Would still take me well over a year to install and wire up the outside tmeperature sensor though lol!)

Around the same time I did the wiper stalk upgrade (beginning of Feb 09), as I had to strip the drivers side dash as well as drivers door, I thought it was a good opportunity to kill two birds with one stone and also install a remote locking system. Although I did want to go for an OEM upgrade, it was a bit expensive for me at the time as well as I wanted to install the stuff whilst I had the car stripped, rather than waiting whilst I sourced the parts and loom etc. Though I am still interested in doing this though. Instead I went for the next best thing, an aftermarket remote locking (no alarm) system that had replica style fobs. I also have some good pics of this process, will upload and insert shortly :)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts