1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought it would make an interesting pic [:)]

Posted Image

Good pic/bad pic? your thoughts please [:)]

Ps - incase anyone is wondering its an old hard drive.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
At first glance I thought it was meant to be some esoteric vinyl turntable that every hi-fi buff should recognise, then it clicked. I hope you opened that in a clean room so it still works when you put it back together [:)]

I think it looks just as striking without the negative effect, as it's a very high contrast image, and that's what stands out to my eye more than what the subject actually is.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Cool. I'd probably crop it in on the right & left a bit (maybe top & bottom too, lol)

Would make a good base for a poster or something

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments peeps [:)]

Here is the original cropped image with no effect`s applied, I got to the final edit of the pic by splitting the CMYK channels.

Posted Image

I think that applying that effect brings out alot of detain that you wouldnt normaly see [:)]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
What were the original lighting conditions like, or did you use filters or a very quick shutter to avoid glaring? I must admit I love studing computer parts, especially motherboards, they're functional works of art. Everybody at work just lets me get on with it, which I love when we get in a very high tech multi-processor server board, I'll stare at it for ages and nobody else can see the fascination. Do you have any more similar pics?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lighting was from outside, the pic was taken in a windowsill from an unlit room, I there are minimal reflections of clouds in the HD platter surface if you look closely at the unedited pic [:)] I intentionally angled my camera in order to get the minimal reflection of the clouds outside to get the best mirror effect I could from the platter [:)] no filters were used, just creative angling and several shots at varying angles with my digi cam. The below pic illustrates how things were set up.

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks mate! [:)] I quite like your Sky of fire pic [:)]

I'm off to rip some more stuff apart and take pics of the innards [:p]

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In keeping with my close up abstracty tearing electrical things to bits theme here I thought I would post some more of it as I enjoyed making the HD pic [:)] All opinions welcome on the below pics [:)] hope you like...........

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

[:p]

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think the first shot has the most impact, the contrast in the shot is REALLY extreme - again, would look good as a large print on sretched canvas in a minimalist enviornment.

So what's next for the stripping appart treatment.

Any of you guy's been on www.ephotozine.com before?

Keith.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glad you like them Icedub [:)]

I'm not sure what`s next for the pulling apart treatment [:p] Im sure I can find something expensive to tear apart in the name of photographic art [:)]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I once ran an old drive like that on a 2foot ide cable (it was on my
desk) with no cover as a secondary drive for 2 months before it stopped
working, it made rebooting my pc really interesting watching the
platters spin and how fast the head moves, could be intersting to slow
expose moving heads.

How about tearing apart an LCD or TFT panel (broken obviously) and
photgraphing the backlight in action (be carefull the backlight
inverters can chuck out 1000v)

Or how about some precise machinery, camshfts and valves maybe? or a rebounding speaker/sub on slow exposure

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Aye! some top ideas there mate [:)] I dont have any LCD`s or TFT`s apart from the one Im using now [:D] but I do have access to old engine parts such as cam`s, turbo`s, crank`s and pistons, I will see what I can come up with on that [:)] Somewhere I have got a HD that will power up that has the cover removed but unfortunatly my camera is unable to take long exposure pics [:(] Need to get me a DSLR [:p]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts