Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a while back that the rear interior light had buttons which didn't light up like the front. So I finally got round to it and also added the ambient lighting like in the front

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cost about £20 in parts, and modify your existing one

You need to get power from the front light

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice dude. Could you not have got power from the rear light switch?
No

because the light needs the switch feed that is only live when the main lights are on

·
Registered
299 Posts
No

because the light needs the switch feed that is only live when the main lights are on
Ok yea I got ya. As I said though, very nice mod, it's on the list! Is there a how-to coming or would that spoil the fun of figuring it out!?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I probably can do a How to, you need to be good with a soldering iron

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Slightly OT but does anyone have any information on the different design variations of the Mk5 rear interior lights and models/spec comes with which and if they are cross compatible (i.e. if I was to upgrade one with two bulbs to three with map reading lights?

I have seen:

1) Single switch with two bulbs.

2) Double switched with three bulbs with opaque map reading light lenses.

3) Double switched with three bulbs with clear (or not there) map reading light lenses.

·
Registered
37 Posts
AFAIK, as the Mk5 model years went by, the amount of lights (and switches) decreased. My 2004 model has the same 3-bulb and double switch rear dome lights whereas later models (lets say 2006+) come with a 2-bulb solution. The single switch might be a low-end model option.

As a side note, later model years didn't come with 3-bulb dome lights in the front also. As I've seen, at first the center light position is empty and later there is no center light at all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
AFAIK, as the Mk5 model years went by, the amount of lights (and switches) decreased. My 2004 model has the same 3-bulb and double switch rear dome lights whereas later models (lets say 2006+) come with a 2-bulb solution. The single switch might be a low-end model option.

As a side note, later model years didn't come with 3-bulb dome lights in the front also. As I've seen, at first the center light position is empty and later there is no center light at all.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've managed to replace the twin rear light (single switch) with the triple rear light (double switch) successfully and it was all plug and play. Not a bad mod for £10 I'd say.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've managed to replace the twin rear light (single switch) with the triple rear light (double switch) successfully and it was all plug and play. Not a bad mod for £10 I'd say.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts