Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what i've been doing on and off for the last couple of weeks. Its my first install, so the quality of work isn't exactly brilliant! Sorry for the long post!

This is my install idea:

Posted Image

I've got some pics of all the sound deadening going in but its pretty boring, so i've just included one of the boot (the front doors and rear 3/4 panels were also deadened):

Posted Image

Shame about the mess the wiring's in, in the above pic! The RCA's were run under the centre console, the power left speaker and remote down the LHS, and the right speaker cable down the RHS.

Finished box below. 18mm MDF. Sealed with silicone sealant around all edges:

Posted Image

Box is bolted to the floor using the threaded hole at the bottom of spare wheel well:

Posted Image

False floor cut to size:

Posted Image

I backed the false floor with 3 layers of underlay stuff left over from doing a wooden floor at my dads flat!

Posted Image

False floor fixed to battons on the side of the box, and also bolted straight to the car. Genesis amps and dodgy wiring in position:

Posted Image

As far as i've got. JL 12W6 is in, and everything up and running:

Posted Image

The VW logo was waterjet cut fom 12mm aluminium, using an autocad drawing I did. This is it after being given a brushed finish at a local polishing place:

Posted Image

Well thts it so far. It sounds good although it hasn't been set up properly yet. All the sound deadening, underlay and bolting down paid off because I don't have any really bad rattles.

I'm trying to finish up before the show on sunday.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Very nice ! I need to sort mine out asap.

I dont think thats a W7, maybe a W6 ? The screws look different (Ive
got a W7) and if it is a W7, the box is too small for it ! The box Ive
made for mine is the exact volume they want it at

Faisal, if that IS the W7 and that is the right sized box for it, Im
going to put mine in the spare wheel area too !! Too much of the boot
is taken up at the moment :/

Looking good - cant wait to see the finished result [:D]

edit: Just read this in Faisal initial post

As far as i've got. JL 12W6 is in, and everything up and running:

That explains the size of the box. The W6 isnt as deep in size as
the W7 and also, thats a sealed enclosure hence why it can fit into the
spare wheel area. If it was vented then itd be larger

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the positive comments people! I tried to take my time and do the install as well as I could, but there was still lots to learn and things I might do different if I did it again. Its 90% done now, I ran out of time before VW festival to cut out a window for the amps, but i made a plywood boot floor and got the VW emblem in it an trimmed it anyway.....pics will follow.

Paul GT - yep, I've got a little more scrubbage on the rear than before, but then 9" wide wheels with 15mm spacers is asking for trouble!

sonny - its 12" JLW6v2, and its great! nearly got a W3 but then this came up 2nd hand.

MRK IV - thats a very very impressive install there mate! A lot more complicated than mine! Good stuff!

kris - Nearly...its a profile sub and a profile 2. I'm using the standard H/U and front speakers at the moment, with the rears disconnected. I want a P77MP H/U eventually, but i'm happy with it as it is for now.

Nudda - lol! So thats how i should build up my post count... I used the seatbelt bolt on the passenger side for the earth. I sanded down the paint around the hole and the bolt itself before fixing the wire. I used 4G wire for the earth, going to a dizzy block where its split ito two 8G wires for each amp.

tibs - Most definitely, I've got the acrylic but haven't got round to it yet.

golkman - not a chance. Don't want anyone else having it! Not telling where I got the cutting or brushing done either! lol

Thanks again for the comments. I'll update this post when its all finished.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have nearly the same spec install in my mk2, and boy does it
thump, I Dynamatted the boot floor completely, missing out the rear
turrets, as they are cast iron on the mk2!

Spec is:-

Alpine 9833r

Genesis Pro 4 & Sub

Focal 165 Polyglass' (full fat not slims!)

JL 12W6

Pheonix Gold ARX750 RCA's

****loads of MDF & fibreglass

But no loss of skin in the process, I got someone to do it for me!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts