Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, anyone changed their horn because mine sounds camper than Butlins and I have to do something about it? How easy is it to do and what will i need?

Cheers

·
Registered
837 Posts
MkIVs should have fairly beefy sounding horns. You might want to check that both of your tones are working. I had the low-tone fail on my R32 leaving me with just the camp high tone. 

·
Registered
837 Posts
Not to sure to be honest as I had mine fixed under warranty. It'll be quite difficult to work out if yours has broken unless you have another Golf to compare it against.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Just get a second hand one from the scrappies.  Should be cheap as chips and easy to fit, it is mounted behind the bumper, under the battery.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Jose_Golf's 1.4 has a very funny sounding horn, it sounds quite high pitched and, er, French?! The car had a French dealer sticker on the back when new, maybe it's a Euro spec horn or something? Always funny when he drives along and toots randomly [:D]

Anyway, get one of these bad boys [:p]

Posted Image

·
Registered
299 Posts
I know not everyone likes the haynes manuels but i wouldn't be without it. I've had one for every car i've owned. Im sure it would cover the horn. You can get them in Halfrauds or play.com or amazon.com

·
Registered
216 Posts
Has anyone tried the PIAA Hi/Lo Euro Sports Horns Kits? I want to know if you get two horns in a single kits or do you have to purchase 2 kits

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yeah, its a pain, i would love to get mine sorted actually, just unsure how to do it. How much is the VW replacement? Where exaclty is the horn located?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Is it the sort of thing thats explained in a haynes manual? maybe i should get my hands on one.
maybe i can interest you in a haney manual, its a 98-00 r-x reg manual and its in 100%tip top condition, interested? because i shall no longer need it as i wont have a mk iv soon

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I have a pair of MKIV horns for sale if intrested, used of course but in fully working order.

I updated to twin air horns, bought from halfords for ?16.99...including all the hoses , bolts, pump the lot. The horns mount perfect onto the standard MKIV horn bracketry and sound the dogs all you have to do is cut one of your old horn plugs off and put connectors on to suit the air horns pump.

At the moment they are quite loud and make people jump. Although i have another low tone air horn to put on mine [y] just to make it a little beefier.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts