Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd put a couple of quick pics up as I haven't done so yet.

It's on 18s and I just fitted the FK Highsport coilovers yesterday, although the car still needs sorting out a bit as it's rubbing on the front when cornering hard and I really want it a little bit lower still. I'll have to see how that goes though!

Mods so far ... just the wheels, coilovers and Revo remap.

Next mods ... Miltek, Carbonio and Forge 007P.

BEFORE:

Posted Image

AFTER:

Posted Image

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Looks nice and low at the front [:D]
Either raise it up a little or go for an aftermarket front ARB with larger hoops for driveshaft clearance.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I've checked the ARB for clearance and it seems fine. It's only the wheel catching on the plastic arch liner that rubs. Have put a post in the suspension forum asking if spacers might cure this as I really don't want to raise it up any more. And the back does still need to come down a bit, but after nearly 10hours of fitting and messing about with them I had to leave it as it was yesterday!

When I first fitted the coilovers I thought I'd put them almost as high as they can go to start with, had actually put them nearly all the way to the bottom and when we dropped it and managed to get the jack out from under it, it was absolutley decked! Wheels tucked under the arches and it looked so sweet. Shame it couldn't stay that way really!! [:D]

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep. Much happier. Just need to get it sorted properly and hopefully sitting just that little bit lower, especially at the back and it should be good. [;)]

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fited them myself mate, with help from my dad and both my brothers.  Wouldn't recommend it though as it's a real pain.  Think most garages want between ?150-?200 but looking back, I'd say it's worth it!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Looks the biz mate.... if you go lower, the front ARB will become an
issue i'd say.....had to change mine because of clearance issues

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I liked the colour as well. Haven't used anything special on it yet but will polish it next weekend. My brother runs a valeting company so use his products which seem to be really good.

Which ARB would you suggest for clearance and do you remember how much they are they usually?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Arr the dreaded cant get the jack out!

Had the same prob myself it was very low tho had wound them down instead of up! D'oh.

Looks great love the colour.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Looking good but i think its your liner fasteners that are broken or yes you are catching on the arb. I had the same probs on my bora but raised it 5mm untill i get a fk arb. Also the liner fasteners break easily and cause serious rubbing but its a less than ?1 fix. I feel sorry for you taking that long to fit them as i fitted mine in an just over an hour and i'm no mechanic

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Looks nice and low at the front [:D]
Either raise it up a little or go for an aftermarket front ARB with larger hoops for driveshaft clearance.
I'd agree with Gary on this one... Love the colour of your motor & it looks extremly clean.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers for the tip on the arch liner fasteners, I will check that out.

I think I'm gonna have to raise up a bit though just for now as it's rubbing quite bad. Making creaking noises now on full lock as well! [:(]

Can't believe you done them in an hour! I don't seem to be having much luck. Shame because it feels great on the road, a decent ride and the turn in is so much sharper than before, just want to get it sorted so I can try it out properly. [;)]

·
Registered
504 Posts
I cheated though, i used the 2 post lift at work and a very heavy duty air gun. The back was so simple 5mins a side provided you've everything you need at the ready.

Mine used to creak loads too untill i raised it the 5mm and now it never does it. Did you by silverlines or just zinc plated one's?? It will catch on the d-shaft at that height trust me but only on the drivers side so i reckon a group buy on FK ARB's is in order.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah wish I'd had a ramp, an air gun... or just been able to find the right tools!

You're right though, the back is a piece of cake, it came out lovely and went back together without any probs. Sticking point was seperating the strut from the hub carrier. That's what took most of our time.

I'd be up for a group buy if anyone's thinking of organising one! Oh and mine's just the normal highsports, not the silverlines.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just found out what my problem was with the rubbing. The bolt that goes through the bottom of the strut and hub had been left loose when I fitted it and has worked its' way off. When I looked at it yesterday it had no nut on at all which meant that the strut had slipped down through the hub and was resting on the CV gaitor. [:'(] Obviously that's split and lost all the grease/oil but I don't think it's caused any further damage luckily. The strut was stopped from slipping further by the other brackets on the side! The locating bracket on the back had folded up and needed straightening out. but after that we've managed to get it back together ok and tightened all the bolts up this time!! [:$]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts