Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Knows nothing about cars, even less about Golfs&#3
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after some advice please guys.

I bought a 2002 Swedish Import sold to me as a GT, I must admit I was a little naive to purchasing a car and wasn't too sure, however whilst waiting for the V5 to arrive I obviously needed to insure the car and Directline tell me it's an "S" model.

I then obviously panic, ring up VW UK and they have no records of it, so i go direct to the dealer where it was bought from and he confirmed to me it is a 130HP GT TDI.

The badge looks like this - TDI, and from what i've read this would indicate that it is a GT, but is there any other way to get this 100% confirmed?

I have the V5 now with all the relevant details on it, but does say it's a TDI S

Obviously I'm 100% confused!

any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

cheers

Chris

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Look in the service book and the boot on the build sticker for the model. It should be a 'Highline' and it should also show 96Kw for the 130bhp engine.

It could be that you have an S that's been spec'ed up with options to the same as a GT TDi and the badge on the tailgate's been changed to show it. But I'm not sure the S was made with a 130 engine in any country?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I can appriciate how your feeling. I went into the local stealer to pull the history on my V5 (car no reg doc) when i bought it and they couldnt find it by reg and when they searched the VIN it came up with a different reg and showing a 60k service even though mines only done 40k. Turned out part of the history was right, 1st 2 services, then it seems some dealer somewhere added a private plate meant for another car onto mine. Just turned out to be a black V5 so they didnt check it very well.

Still browned my pants thinking id bought a ringer!

I did an apprenticeship at Land Rover and worked in the traceability department that controls the issuing of VIN number etc. The amount of mistakes was a joke so if the DVLA have been told the wrong info it wouldnt suprise me to much, mitakes can happen. Dont know the implications of it being an import though.

Oh also a HPI report also showed my old Focus up as being a Fusion even though i bought it from new :)

·
Registered
918 Posts
One plus side, if it is not a dodgy car, your insurance will be cheaper!  Sticker in the boot will give you all the spec details.

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah but i wanna get it sorted out if needed, don't need the insurance comps to have any other reason not to pay out if anything ever happened!

Posted Image

anyone care to explain that???? lol

if that is correct and it looks like it from what has been said, how do i go about changing the V5?

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Your issue is with the DVLA who have filled in the details on the V5 document as an S model when it was imported. I had a similar issue with mine being on the V5 as a 3 door instead of 5 door.

I had all of the relevant docs from the seller in relation to the import and uk registration of the car, and wrote to DVLA explaining their mistake. They returned another V5 with the correct number of doors on to me. Sounds a bit strange but its true. DVLA are not always correct all the time. Hope this helps.

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well the sticker says its a highline ( highl after golf tdi) and then it says 96 below which is the power output in kw
well least that puts my mind at rest kind of!

cheers for all the info and help on this one, it really was starting to panic me a tad.

cheers

Chris

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cheers matey, much appreciated for that, i think i can rest easy now then! phew

next q then anyone know how i get this regged with VW UK?

or do i have to get a dealer to service my car and get them to do it (as per what the dealer told me)?

cheers again

Chris

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ive worked at direct line for awhile, some operators will look at the details and choose the cheapest car!!!!! That means they will put it as an S just to get the sale as the rest will read golf 1900! In a claim they may still honour it but if their having a bad year they will invalidate your insurance as you've received your docs without correcting them.

Def best to get it changed mate because since RBS insurance has bought out NIG, Devitt and Churchill their really tightening up on claims now!

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Your issue is with the DVLA who have filled in the details on the V5 document as an S model when it was imported. I had a similar issue with mine being on the V5 as a 3 door instead of 5 door.

I had all of the relevant docs from the seller in relation to the import and uk registration of the car, and wrote to DVLA explaining their mistake. They returned another V5 with the correct number of doors on to me. Sounds a bit strange but its true. DVLA are not always correct all the time. Hope this helps.
As mentioned, I believe the above applies to you and you need to sort it with DVLA.

The insurance database will have it as an S if it is registered with the DVLA as an S. Select the correct model if your applying for insurance online, or tell the person exactly what it is on the phone when you apply. I ALWAYS have to do this as no insurance company yet has been able to identify my car from my registration.

I wouldnt worry about VW computers having it wrong - that means nothing when it comes to insurance or your V5.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
WVWZZZ1J... etc is you VIN Number (Vehicle Identification Number) - should be on your windscreen too.

Highline does indeed mean it's GT spec, all others say BASIS
ASZ = Engine Code
ERF = Gearbox Code
LC9Z = Paint Code

And all the little numbers/letters at the bottom are all the product code you have on your car, e.g. leather seats, traction contro; etc.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Equalz ur post has got me thinking, especially with directline being such a big company! So say a claim was put through for the car, would the company just say they're not covering it? i would have thought that the claim would still go through, but would charge the extra on top thats the diference between the S and the GT, if that makes sense?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yes your right they usually will, even down to modifications not being declared!  They do have the right to refuse though and the last thing you want during a claim is that.  It can also extend the time it takes for a claim to be paid out :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts