Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

just wanted know if anyone elses 115bhp drives like a tank, i mean its embarrassing when i get beat by little chav's it there 1.4 and 1.6's clios i prob get beat by my lil nephew in his skateboard (and he dont know how to skate).

I just had the new 18" alloys on it do you guys think it could be that?? even with standard it was only a little faster. or is there something wrong with my car????. its like after 3000rpm the car just dies and starts rev really slowly, im running standard at the moment.

ive just had the car serviced too (major one).

any ideas guys????

T

·
Registered
824 Posts
Could be your MAF possibly. I have the same engine and it revs freely up to 4k with no probs. Does it feel as if it hits a 'wall' at 3k revs? As if you've jumped off the go pedal? Chances are that even if you ran a vagcom check it wouldn't show anything. How many miles is on it?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be your MAF possibly. I have the same engine and it revs freely up to 4k with no probs. Does it feel as if it hits a 'wall' at 3k revs? As if you've jumped off the go pedal? Chances are that even if you ran a vagcom check it wouldn't show anything. How many miles is on it?
o.k. guys id did feel like that, i had teh maf checked it was o.k.

its got 78k, but its fine now ive just had remap done from Simon from Upsolute,

damn it made alot of difference, teh flat spots are gone no more hiot the wall feeling, now it performs like a GT TDI.

for anyone wanting there car remapped Simon is highly recommended by me.

just got to test the economy now.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I would suggest you still try cleaning the maf because that engine isnt running right, and although it now seems really fast compared to what it used to be, its still probably not running as fast as it could.....

A dirty maf as far as I know will not show up on vag com, you might aswell try cleaning it anyway, its a really easy job.

My 115pd has always been reasonably quick, and Iv recently had a tuning box put on it and now it flies :) well not quite there are still alot of faster cars out there but as everyday cars go.......

So yeah summary, it might seem like your problem is solved but I would suggest the remap is just hiding it and your also probably not getting the full benefit of it.......

Just my tuppence

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Realistically theres no point in cleaning the maf as its use can only
be for a short period as this is like its test to see if it is the
maf's fault (i.e. not performing well) so give it a clean just to check
if you don't find a difference in performance then just stick with it
if you find a difference after the maf clean just buy a new one as i
think theres a trade in and pay money on top at vw dealers iirc its
only about ?50 + your old maf.

Sat

·
Registered
248 Posts
I agree sounds like your MAF is knackered, when I first got my car and
it was standard it was exactly the same, plenty of torque low down but
absolutly nothing above 3k.

Had the MAF changed and it pulled all the way to the red line no
problem at all. I think you could just unplug the MAF and see if this
improves things, if so change the MAF.

As mentioned above having it remaped wont have magically fixed the problem and your still missing out on some potential.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd recommend you get yourself to your nearest Merc dealerships and buy their standard MAF. Fit's a little tightert than the standard VW - but boy does it make a difference. I used to buy them when i had my Golf's (have now upgraded to a 2004 330cd Sport :-D)

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
No a Merc MAF wouldn't be noticed at all.

But I would'nt fit one to a PD, they work best on the 110. As a std VW MAF will cost the same as a Merc Pierburg one - there isn't any benefit to swapping any more.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
basically the car does judder as im driving, when pulling my foot down,

and also i noticed my fuel i got like 370mile to Full tank, thats like 30 miles less than previous (extra urban city driving and some A1 driving).

is that about right ???? what do the rest get on a full tank (urban driving)

-T-

·
Registered
874 Posts
Agreed, something is seriously wrong if thats all you're getting as it equates to somewhere around 35mpg!

I get anywhere between 45 and 50mpg (round about 500miles to a tank), mostly dual carriageway driving but a lot of it is in traffic and it is mostly with 4 people in the car.

The MAF does sound like the favourite. It's easy to get to and unplug as it just sits on the top of the engine. If the car is better with it unplugged then the MAF is knackered. It's not so easy to clean as you will need a security torx bit to get it out of it's housing.

VW now do exchange units so they're not as overpriced as they used to be.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No that dont sound right at all you should be seeing 450 minimum to a full tank.

Have you had the car read for error codes?
The car has no errors and was checked like two months ago and its had a major full service two months ago. the upsolute chip was dont few weeks ago.

I put in slick 50 engine treatment and filled it up to get the 370miles well it needed refilling to day and teh mileage ended at 381miles to full tank.

i going to change the MAF and see what difference it makes.

When you floor you gt tdi all the time what are you guys getting on the full tank then????

i only floor it now and then.

could it be anything else beside the MAF that i can get checked too.

cheers guys for you feedback.

-T-

·
Registered
196 Posts
Instead of just changing the MAF first un-plug it and go for a drive. If you MAF is dead then you won't notice any difference...if your MAF is alive and kicking then your car will drive like a bag of crap and that eliminates the MAF as the cause of your problem. This way is free and easy and very quick

1 - 20 of 30 Posts