Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, I very nearly had a custom Powerflow system (Cat Back) put on a few months ago - all looked very good but chose to leave it as my cars exhaust was like brand new and seemed a stupid waste of money and also might aswell wait until it needs replacing and then upgrade.... logical.

So for a car like mine, which do people think i should fit?

I like a custom look with a real throaty note i.e. cat back or full system (please dont confuse a true throaty power sound with that of the garyboy drivers for example, its not even close to sounding good - im after a evo style growl if you know the one - obviously my cars not an evo but you get my meaning).

The milltek stuff appeals to me but looks abit run of the mill, i want to get a jap burnt custom finish tail pipe look, subtle but tasty all at the same time. I would really like to hear anyones views on this, obviously its a personal thing but i would be grateful to hear what you think, or if anyone has already done it.

Regards GT 130

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a miltek exhaust on my last golf which was a 1.8t and it was superb. It gave good power gains of around 5 - 8 bhp as well as a good fit, but the best bit was the noise levels, it had a deep hum when it was hot, but not annoying when on the motor way. I think it is a good compromise between performance and sound. I now have agt tdi and am alo looking at exhaust options and would not think about going any where else than miltek. As you say it is a personal thing and if you want a loud roaring exhaust it probably is not the option for you.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
267 Posts
ive got a milltek turbo back,and very pleased with it.went for the discreet style back box so it looks original.a little more noise but you would expect that.got mine on a group buy off awesome gti.my local garage also said it was one of the best exhaust they have fitted.no real problems.no creaks or rattles or knocking even three/four up.

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that sounds good, thanks for the advice.

exhaust choice is a very personal thing but the look i want - i dont think milltek can provide unfortunately

powerflow have some lovely looking tail pipes and workmanship, but i want whats best for car performance....

a full system would prob do it with induction aswell, but do diesels like being upgraded in the air and exhaust department???

full system or cat back-another choice.....

ideas anyone

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
There's been much debate on here about diesel exhausts and the gains they give - AFAIK the cat is the restriction and if you get a cat-back all you'll get is a different noise, a turbo-back system will give more power - from the design of the downpipe mainly.

There's more informed folk on here who've made the changes and I'm sure they'll add their comments.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have to disagree completely with Richard W. There really is only a
small benefit from removing cat, but taking out the backbox does
improve things a little. I have seen a new downpipe with no cat improve
power only two or three horsepower. Switching the backbox gives a bit
more. And also on VW Passat TDI with stock pipe the pressure after
turbo in the pipe was 0.4bar (1.4bar boost was used), removing backbox
dropped this to 0.1bar. So the cat is not a big restriction.

I changed only my backbox and used a generic freeflow muffler in a
nearby garage that installs exhausts. The cost was 150eur, this
included work and the muffler itself! I liked the results, looks good
and some performance improvement also. I wouldnt pay over 500eur for a
catback.

Heres one pic (edit: the thing to the right of the exhaust is my removable towbar, the cover is just missing) :

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
i thought id let you no from experience, power flows build and power gain is rubbish, also you will have to keep it clean and well treated as it rusts if not. but if you want a loud sound and custom tailpipe then yes they are good. Just my 2ps worth ;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
hey mate

I've got the milltek twin jet (non-discreet twin 3") cat-back system on mine. It's a little noisier at idle and on start-up, but when you get going it's great! Sounds really deep when you floor it, lovely sound. Almost sounds as good as a petrol [;)] On the motorway it's as quiet as the standard exhaust (unless you floor it of course), so it's fine for long distance driving.

AmD fitted mine and I got 182 (from 130) from the remap and exhaust, I reckon the exhaust probably gave me another 5-10bhp.

I'll take you out for a spin at the next meet and you can see what you think.

Steve

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey mate

I've got the milltek twin jet (non-discreet twin 3") cat-back system
milltek are very appealing but they look so boring with the finish at the back....[|-)]

what does non-discreet mean in those terms?? louder than other milltek????

cheers mate

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
hey mate

I've got the milltek twin jet (non-discreet twin 3") cat-back system
milltek are very appealing but they look so boring with the finish at the back....[|-)]

what does non-discreet mean in those terms?? louder than other milltek????

cheers mate
Discreet means that there is/are no tail pipes showing at the back (looks like the standard VW exhaust, but performance) and I believe that the Non-discreet will have some sort of tail pipe on show whether it's an Anniversary single tail pipe or V6 twin tail pipe. The noise should not really be any different.

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nice bit of slalom action there!

were you illusrating the exhaust noise or just showing me the slalom vid?

as it sounded standard from that - my car has more roar than that as it is!![;)]

Are you gonna come to the essex meet at freeport?

Cheers dude

GT 130

·
Registered
139 Posts
hehe, bit of both really [;)]

If your car roars more than that as standard then you need to get it checked out [:D]

Not sure what I can do tbh, going to Reading Festival, then Florida for 3 weeks and Uni is shortly after.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.