Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Quote: posted by rob.gti on 04/04/2005 22:34:27

I am lucky enough to be given a MK5 GTI DSG for a 24 hour test drive. I pick it up tomorrow at noon.

Doc, I agree that the paddles are esential with the DSG. I have driven the GTI without, and didnt like it that much - I just wish the Paddles came as standard and not at extra cost!

I agree, however the controls for the radio on the steering wheel are a nice touch, however the cruise control is something i don't think i will ever use, our motorways are so busy i don;t think it is ever possibe to keep a constant speed.

· Registered
82 Posts
A great post - the sort that makes you wonder whether a nice diesel estate is really a necessity and couldn't you actually manage by spending a similar amount of money on a slightly smaller, less tax efficient but ultimately much more desirable GTi DSG...

Cheers Doc!

· Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Quote: posted by isleaiw on 05/04/2005 10:47:06

A great post - the sort that makes you wonder whether a nice diesel estate is really a necessity and couldn't you actually manage by spending a similar amount of money on a slightly smaller, less tax efficient but ultimately much more desirable GTi DSG...

Cheers Doc!

to be honest this car is a breath of fresh air for me, wanted a semi-auto gearbox, i had a bmw smg and it was jerky as hell if you didn't back of the throttle when changing gear, which kind of defies the point of semi gearboxes if you have to back off, the only thing it saves you doing is pushing the clutch down and moving the leaver itself, you still have to reduce the aceleration to make the change. DSG is awesome it does everything semi should do and makes a great auto (ask me again if it goes wrong though[:p]). I drove the wife's manual the other day and it really seems a old fashioned way of changing gear.[;)]

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.