Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people of uk-mkivs! Just a quick first post to get things going. This is my first Golf, wanted one for years but the insurance was just not affordable. Picked my Xreg Mk4 GTi 2.0l (non turbo) around 2weeks ago, shes done 98k, years mot,4 good tyres on and good spare, history till 65k, great condition inside and out. A few small age related imperfections but nothing i wont leave. There are only 3 issues i have to deal with abs light (possible sensor as she stops on a dime!), a new back box (leaking gasses as from mot) and the heater matrix :( YES its a sad day when you realise its a whole dash out job to fix heating, adding insult to injury the bad weather hit the day after i got the car!

Some suggestions for possible styling and/or tips on anything i should look out for would be appreciated. Thanks

(i know the gti badge is in correct but as i will probably be de-badging or smoothing rear, i just leaving it atm)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Welcome!

Looks good for a 12/13 year old car!

If you want to keep it rot free for as long as possible, there are a couple of things you can do.

Jack the front end up, remove the wheels and plastic arch liners. You will probably see a brick sized collection of mud sittiing on the front part of the sill, where the sill joins the wing. Remove the mud and give it a good clean otherwise it will start to rust the sill from the inside out

When you have removed the arch liner, look up inside it, and you might see a piece of foam sitting between the wing and body. Remove this, as it acts as a water trap and will rust the wing from the inside out-not good

Engine wise, unless you throw lots of money at it, you wont get much power from it. Maybe upgrade the exhaust and a free flowing filter, but I would not bother really, as you wont feel any difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks stevo, will check that when i replace heater matrix. With my last car being a saxo vtr its sooo much better. Had better cars in the past but financial restraints arent loose enough for a golf turbo.... yet! But plans are to keep subbtle as poss, been offered 18" audi alloys without tyres for 50quid. Will refurb and paint white, HiD 6000k kit, new grille, maybe tints and debadged rear.Jus ordered fresh plain font reg plates and just fitted led reg plate bulbs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello guys! Well i havnt been on in such a while but not had alot of luck with the car. head gasket went :( it gets picked up todayand i have supplied gasket kit, radiator, water pump and timing belt kit. new oil and coolant, parts and labour 430 all in that includes a head skim. stainless cat back system goes on in about a month so pics will be up soon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.