Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ppl well 1st post just turned 17 last week got my self a nice MK4 Golf 1.6 16v SE,

b4 i pass my driving test i want 2 do this>

1st question whts the biggest size rims can i get on it without looking stupid 19" fit?

2nd how much would it b 4 a body kit 2 b fitted and sprayed ruffly?

3rd whts the best way i can get more power out of the engine without makin 2 many big changes?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
50,206 Posts
1.Everyones ideas of stupid looking rims is different,17s are still practical and take 40 series rubber and will still give a good ride,with 18s as fitted to R32s,you'll be on 40 series rubber (I believe) and will give a slightly less forgiving ride.

2.A full Anni kit is something like ?600(ish) to buy,and it really depends on which bodyshop you take it to for fitting.I doubt you'd get much change from ?1000 to get it done properly.Don't be tempted to buy a cheap kit that looks a better buy as it's half the cost,it'll cost more in labour as they never fit properly,and will cost you more in the long run.

3.There's not a lot you can do with this engine that's worth spending money on,maybe an induction kit and zorst,but the gains will be marginal to say the least.It's better to wait until you've got a few years no claims bonus,then buy a car that's already got more BHP anyway,such as a GTi,Turbo,V6 4MO,or even R32s will be reasonably priced in a few years.
If you do put any of this stuff on your car,you must tell your insurance company,if the cars involved in an accident,they may decide not to payout if you haven't declared them.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
With all due respect, surely insuring a mk4 Golf 1.6 at 17 is going to sting you enough, without loading it up with huge alloys and bodykits? If you do, I would strongly advise you to declare it as it makes your insurance void if you dont. Expect a sizeable rise in your premium too, thats if they will insure it...

·
Registered
668 Posts
To be honest mate, I would advise you to do very little to it for two reasons, 1) Your insurance will go up a load as soon as you mention any body kit, and it'll be expensive enough as it is on a 1.6 at 17 and 2) If you haven't passed your test yet, driving is gonna be a very new thing to you and therefore, your more likely to prang it. Best not to have ?2ks worth or body kit and alloys on it if your gonna have a bump pretty soon. No disrespect, I'm sure you'll be a great driving but when your new to driving your expectations of what other drivers are going to do, aren't as finely tuned as they will become later. I'd say give it a couple of years and if you can keep your no claims, do things gradually, i.e add the alloys then a year later do the body kit. Just my 2ps worth.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeh cheers guys my insurance quotes at the moment are ?2,500 so i dnt really want it 2 rise anymore well i think i may just stick wiv rims and exhaust 4 the moment.

thanks

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hi R32Replica [:)]

Welcome to the site , as others have said , it is probably better to leave your car as standard for now , also standard cars are actualy worth more and i think ?2500 is enough to pay for insurance !! [:O] [:'(]

If you are gonna change your wheels watch out for the camber going out and getting the dreaded inside tyre wear when you fit over sized wheels or lower the suspension.

Nice car to be starting with though mate , hope you enjoy it . Cheers .

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I don't understand why young drivers get fully comp at young ages lol.. im only 18 but if was to go fully comp on my tdi it would be ?1600 on my name.. but as im on my mums name and me a fully comp named driver its just under ?600.. also on a pd 115 if i was again on my mums name etc. it would only be ?720 for me to be a named fully comp driver.. Personally i couldnt afford to pay that much a year thats why ive taken my route... Also btw welcome and nice car for your first car mate [y] mine was a corsa which i broke lol...

Sat [y]

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Thats all very well but while you are a named driver on a parents insurance you arent earning any no claims bonus. So when you come to insure down the line on your own, it will be like starting from scratch anyway as you have no history. Thats why I bit the bullet early.

Way I look at it is 1st car should be a cheapish low value car, something cheap to insure and run. Something you can insure TPFT and probably smash the hell out of without worrying. Something to get you a year or twos no claims and some valuable driving experience.

But then again I did have to buy, insure and run my own car myself...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Thats all very well but while you are a named driver on a parents insurance you arent earning any no claims bonus. So when you come to insure down the line on your own, it will be like starting from scratch anyway as you have no history. Thats why I bit the bullet early.

Way I look at it is 1st car should be a cheapish low value car, something cheap to insure and run. Something you can insure TPFT and probably smash the hell out of without worrying. Something to get you a year or twos no claims and some valuable driving experience.

But then again I did have to buy, insure and run my own car myself...
Im with you on this one mate. Mine was an N reg Punto my brother gave me. Cheap as hell to insure, very cheap to run and i wasn't all that bothered when i totalled it on the M27 at 8:30 on a wednesday morning [:$]

·
Registered
389 Posts
Id say go on the parents insurance as well if you can do. I know we all want NCB but the first few insurance payments are killers, insurance only really becomes cheaper after 21 even with no ncb and i know a lot of young drivers (im not saying all but stats are against them) crashing in there first weeks driving so NCB isnt exactly quaranteed plus the excess.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Plus its also worth noting that if you buy an expensive car, you have to go FC, or if its on finance or something. Which means that you will have a massive excess on top of the compulsory young drivers excess. So say the car is worth 5k. Your excess will be anything between ?500 and ?1000. If you hit a lampost, its going to cost you that anyway. Hit someone else and its the same, except you will have a claim against you, and when you come to reinsure the year later, you will have a hell of a shock to reinsure that same car.

I dont mean to sound pessimistic and jealous of those who have nice cars at a young age, but Ive been through it all and some people dont seem to realise the pitfalls of insurance. A 'good' premium is all very well, but what level of cover do you actually have? Ive seen so many people shat on with car insurance unfortunately.

Ive worked hard to keep a clean nose that enables me to insure a nice powerful car for a sensible amount of money at 23.

·
Super Moderator
50,206 Posts
Speaking to an insurance assessor recently,I was told that as they are now having so many claims on "named drivers" driving their so called parents car that is actually their daily driver,any such claims are being put under the microscope.If in such a case,the named second driver is proven to be the main user of the car,which if they inspect it and find two 15in subs in the boot,and copies of FHM magazines under the seats,and anything else that middle aged parents wouldn't have,then they won't pay out.
If you read the small print,it will say somewhere that the extra named drivers shouldn't be the main users of the car,if you do anything that contravenes the rules laid down by the insurers,effectively you aren't insured.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
well i waited till 21 to get my 1.8T, and boy was it worth it! [:)]

i paid ?1000 for my first ever policy, fully comp, in my name wit ma and pa as the named drivers! ha! i was a named driver for 4 years and didn't have any NCB so i've started out on my own now.

i like to think that the 998cc micra i drove from 17-21 taught me how to handle the road (with a few bumps along the way [;)] ) and jumping from 50bhp to 150bhp was nice twist too [H]

basically i'm saying, stick with the 1.6, keep it standard, and when you're 21 get the GTI Turbo, tweak the hell out of it (like me) and insurance wise you'll not worry because its so low!

don't "bite the bullet" now, pay ?600 a year as named driver and wait until you're old enough to get on your own.

my 2p,

jammy

·
Super Moderator
50,206 Posts
I know it's too late now as you've already got it,but it would have been better to have got a 1.4 Golf as your first car.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
The problem you will have is regardless of whether you are happy to pay more insurance for a modded car, most insurers prob won't touch you under 25 - the young guys you see driving 'modded' (and I sue the term loosely) motors haven't declared them.

I agree with getting on the NCB ladder early though, but there are other deals out there worth considering. Back when I passed (1999) the best deals were Pug 106 1.1 / Saxo 1.1 with free insurance - brand new car, 0 miles, warranty, insurance paid, ?150/mo. Recently I saw this firm http://www.youngmarmalade.co.uk/ advertising a fixed cost insurance deal for young drivers, quite interesting.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just remember as mentioned above going on your parents insurance, with the intention of your parents never driving it and you driving it all the time is called fronting and is illeagal....Yes it may be cheaper but if you get caught out you are stuffed plus you are not building up your no claims

I decided to bite the bullet and get my own policy as i thought in the long run it will save me as i will be building up no claims if i dont stack it and plus everything is legit....im paying ?1500 TPFT on my Golf, it may seem alot but its the cheapest qoute i got by far and was cheaper than all of my mates first policies and i have a larger engine....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Dude, just go third party fire and theft and dont drive like a racer.......you have a nice car if you dont do anything stupid, you wont have to worry, and you covered for those unfortunate comings together when it is someone elses fault.!!!!

forget modding until a few yrs no claims.....

i prob sound like your mum, but i would rather have money to drive the car somewhere to have a drink, than insure it to not be able to go out cos i am scint.......?2500, jesus! thats a lot!

·
Registered
414 Posts
?2500 is a sh*t load of money mate. Which insurance company is that with? Tried www.bell.co.uk ?

As far as modding goes, the only thing I'd do for a couple of years is a set of alloys, some nice subtle ones (get rid of those steelies!), nothing to make your insurer's think this guy wants 19's lets load him up!!

I'd leave the exhaust for now. Just wheels makes you look like you like your car to look nice and you keep it in good nick (good for insurers), but wheels + big bore 4 exhaust makes you look like a guy who is more likely to take risks and you probably won't come out unscathed from such risks. And it only has to happen once. It happened to me on my way to work 5 mins from my house. Keep your nose clean and you'll appreciate it soooooo much more in a couple of years. Wish I had . . . . [:(]

As said above, though in various posts, get your NCB before you start doing any performance mods, else you're likely to be hit 2 fold on the price of the mod and for little real world gain.

Save your money you would spend on body kits and exhausts for a 1.8 Turbo, when your insurance will be cheaper, and you'll be older and wiser. And you can have the pleasure of at least 150bhp before you think!

Besides, do you want to be skint when your 21/22/23 cos you've spent it all on body kits, resprays and whatever else, or sell your standard car (which will be worth more money than if it was modded) and put it towards a turbo???

You know what to do. . . . . .

Andy

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys, i no its alot for insurance + the car cost 3,500 but i have some change, which i want to spend on rims. im gona check with my insurance 1st 2 c how much it is. How much BHP does a standard golf has 1.6 16v and how much would a induction kit and exhaust put it up 2? On the driving experence i do have a bit behind me from driving my dads car for a while now. my driving instuctor says i will only need these course of ten lessons i have he said im a natural driver. yeh i no i mite have the odd bump but i think i should be ok.

Thanks for the feedback.

edit: Test BOOKED for the 26th July after sitting on the net for 2 hours trying 2 get cacelled test dates.[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

1 - 20 of 37 Posts