Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my new back box in october 04 and its sooooo not as silver as it was when i got it. I always wash it with a sponge when im cleaning my car but it doesnt get all the black/grey crap off it. Any ideas on how to bring it back to life?!!!

Bex[Y]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Wonder wheels might do the trick, but please make sure first or MC2 or that orangey substance that people go on about.

These are only suggestions and I have never used them, so please please dont just go and do it! Apart from that, any type of chrome cleaner and then give it a quick wax over to keep it looking that way and buff it all up to a nice shine.

Don't use any substance on there that's affected by heat, flames coming out of the exhaust is nice, flames on the exhaust, not so nice!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I have the same problem too, rusty pipes.

I spoke to Mr Milltek, who sent me the following pad, which they use, to clean there pipes and restore the shine.

Posted Image
Posted Image

It's just like a pan scourer, but this one has a 3M logo on the rear.

Still not had the chance the use it yet, though hopefully will do this
weekend, as you can see below, these is how bad the problem is, and
what 30mins on metal polish did.

Posted Image
Posted Image

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
rfsteel, you got a magnet handy you can hold to your pipes?

i'm a bit concerned that the s/s exhaust is rusting. obviously it is as above but it must be poor quality stainless.

quality stainless that doesn't rust is not magnetic. cheap stainless that has less than 18% chromium is. i'm gonna check my blueflame exhaust too as i'm a bit worried.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I can asure you that this a cosher Milltek exhaust.

Mr Milltek explained that this problem is more than likely caused by
the salts used on the roads during the colder months. Which I can sort
of explain, as the above developed over the xmas period, whilst the car
was garaged for a month whilst I worked overseas.

I will try my scourer out, and also find a magnet to see if it highlights any problems.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
true about the salts, this is the most likely cause, but if the stainless does not have 18% or more chrome content then it will corrode like steel. just seems like miltek are using lesser grade stainless.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
bex, you know i have every cleaning product for a car thats ever been made! When you come down at weekend i'll sort it for ya. Ive found CIF cream works a treat, ive also got some Meguirs NXT all metal polish that works very well. My exhaust was caked in crap and even looked like it had rust deposits on the other day. I applied some of that NXT stuff and it looked brand new.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the help [Y]. My exhaust isn't rusty at all though just veryyyyyyyyy dirty and soap and sponge dont work!

I'll see what stuff mikes got and see if it will work, save me some money too!!!! [:)]

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
My Miltek has rusted too[:mad:] I don't believe for one moment it's from the salt on the roads because my old Jetex didn't rust! Certainly not within 6 months which is when my Miltek started rusting.

In the early stages I got it clean with Autoglym Metal Polish but neglected it a bit over the winter months and it got so dirty/rusty that I needed to use something else. I tried (on recommendation) Mr. Muscle Oven Cleaner which helped a bit but didn't get it properly clean. So I tried Fairy Power Spray (that I use for the bbq!) and that made them BLING again[:D] Unfortunately though there was a bit of overspray onto the bumper that I missed and it took a 5p-sized patch of paint off the bumper it's so powerful[:mad:]

I used Scotchbrite scourer thing when it was really dirty, but if I keep on top of it a rag with Metal Polish on is normally enough now.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Anyone tried p21 polishing soap? I'm going to order some from
Alex at superior performance and give that a try. If the bumpf on
the p21 site is to be believed it should make short work of the pipes.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
my blueflame exhaust isn't magnetic so hopefully there won't be any rust! i checked the tailpipes and the pipes from the boxes and its all good.

fingers crossed

·
Registered
445 Posts
any s/steel will become magnetic if it gets hot enough and for long enough. most high end exhausts should be made from a grade of s/steel called 316 which should not corrode through salt ect.my miltek has sufferd the same as most of yours but if you clean it up you will see there is no corrosion just a build up of dirt.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Anyone tried p21 polishing soap? I'm going to order some from Alex at superior performance and give that a try. If the bumpf on the p21 site is to be believed it should make short work of the pipes.
Yea My dad uses it on his motorbike, good stuff [Y]

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks Jace, that's good to know. I've ordered some to try, I'm
hoping it will sort out my exhaust tips without too much elbow
grease....having tried wheel cleaner, autosol and autoglym metal polish
to no avail. They all get the fresh dirt off, but none of
the stubborn older stains.

·
Registered
539 Posts
So my Miltek is showing some rust spot signs now... Not happy as it's been well cared for over the 3years since I got it new.

Will try polishing it up and see what happens....

Otherwise I'll be getting in touch with Miltek... What's the pointed of a stainless steel exhaust if the shiny tips get corroded in normal use!!

Malcolm

1 - 20 of 25 Posts