Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a sony cdx-m8800 off ebay for ?120. i have also bought a connects2 ipod adapter for ?50 and a steering wheel joystick remote for ?30, none of which i have fitted to my golf yet. so ?200 spent on ice. fine. but the other day in halfords i see an alpine half price for ?190, i forget which model, but it has a high speed ipod connector built in. Sound quality is high priority to me (so alpine probs wins), and the sony doesnt have a removable face plate. However i prefer the looks and screen of the sony... so do i...
a) keep the sony and accessories and enjoy the looks, small loss in SQ probs...
b) sell the sony stuff on ebay, buy the alpine, swallow the loss, have an uglier HU...?
comments appreciated!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From caraudiodirect... it has an active black panel lcd display (non removeeable) which turns round to remove a smaller text screen and buttons.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hmmm, difficult to say - I'm not really into ICE in a big way but I did have a Sony system in my last car which gave an impressive sound - I miss the triple base setting it had. I also had the steering column controller which I used all the time - a great accessory.

On the other hand, our other car - a Discovery has an Alpine system fitted (optional extra when new) and it also has an excellent sound.

Are the power outputs similar on both models? if so I would go with the one that you like the look of most. I would be slightly against the Sony as the display cannot be removed.

Not sure if this helps or not!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks!! i think i will probs get the sony stuff installed, then if i reeealy dont like it, go for a real top notch alpine in the summer...

·
Registered
368 Posts
loose the Sony gear n buy Alpine. U can get the 9850 with Ipod
bus lead for ?200. Theres no shitty connects 2 box 2 go wrong (as
connects 2 gear usually does) and you get the great sound quality from
Alpine.

Also, the Sont will prob get nicked from the motor as its not face off
and proper theifs know that its worth quite a lot (originally about
?400)

Andy

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ooh no! am super confused over what to do now guys. thanks for your opinions; the sony seems to be even less popular than I expected!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Go with the Alpine mate - I have been running Sony gear for a while and the SQ is toss!!

I am in the process of binning for Alpine or Becker.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd go with the Alpine too. better off in the long run. Mate of mine had one in his motor & was the proper job. More reliable!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Hey, I've had an alpine unit for a couple of years now, its 60x4 mp3, motorised face, its absolutely fantastic, used to have sony before and the difference in sound quality is immense. Well worth the extra cash without a doubt everytime.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts