Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my car superchipped yesterday...today I notice that when the revs are falling between 2000rpm and 1000 rpm, there is a sound lie a distant police siren. Can't say that I've noticed it before - and even my wife noticed it. If you lift the bonnet and rev it, the noise can't be heard. Its still audible with the stereo off.

Any thoughts ? Or do all cars do it and i've never noticed ? Or is it to do with the chip ?

·
Registered
476 Posts
today I notice that when the revs are falling between 2000rpm and 1000 rpm, there is a sound lie a distant police siren.
Think you need to check your mirrors more often and slow down?[;)]

Must be bad if the missus is noticing it - mine never noticed a dropped window for the first coupla of miles.[:$]

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was on the drive at the time. Dunno about bad - just noticeable. And I hadn't noticed it before yesterday so I assume it was to do with the chip ?

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
on the upside....

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ZZoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom

Bugger - no fuel left

·
Registered
476 Posts
Maybe give the people who supplied it a quick bell? See if they have heard of this before?

Can't remember anyone mentioning this on here either.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
dam damian does she suspect anything has changed with the car , or are you still driving it norm when shes in it lol

i would call them with regards to the sound ,

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think she suspects anything - she just said " F'in VW - that sound will really get on my wick!" this morning. Will have to turn the stereo up

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Congratulations and wow - all you need now mate is a pair of blue flashers behind the grill, and get it even louder.

King of the Road Damian [;)]

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
they have the blue flashers on ebay , u want me to bid for them damian [;)]

so does this mean now at the next meet we get a blast round in yours [;)]

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Get someting that sounds like this on my standard motor. I've never been able to pin it down to anything, but I guess it must be the turbo.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
It is normal to have a more noticeable turbo noise. I have had two Superchipped TDI's.[:D]

However, if it sounds like a kettle whistling then get the intake connection to the turbo checked - it is a compression fitting which can be dislodged by higher boost levels. It's a poor design feature. Failure to so can result in it blowing off as I know to my cost!

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
before being chipped, I could hear the turbo spin up - the usual whistle. Now its kinda like a "wooooooo", like I say, as if there is a police car in the distance - but I can only hear it upto 2000rpm ( i guess due to more road noise above that ? )

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So i went to the dealer this morning and he said that its definately turbo related ( no SH*t sherlock ! ), so the car is booked in for 2 days from 10th October. So we'll see what the diagnosis is

1 - 20 of 61 Posts