Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought a 02 gt tdi i was told it had been lowered the car sits about 1/2 inches higher on the back

the guy said it had been droped when he bought it and he changed the springs as it was too hard

so today i jacked it up and had a look it seems like there are standard springs(black metalic powdercoat) on spax dampers so i guess it had a full kit originally and he changed just the springs for ride quality leaving the spax dampers on

sorry for going on ...

so now i have a odd looking golf what can i do for the best and know im going to get it right

any help would be great

·
Registered
516 Posts
I've seen many golfs that sit this way after lowering. This is the reason I'm going for coilovers so I can adjust it perfect.

Eibach springs are black and they are know to be like this.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Either that, or drive around with something quite heavy in the boot for a week or so, at least that's what i did in mine. Chances are, with the weight being mostly at the front, and hardly any in the rear, the rears won't have had chance to bed in as well! I drove around with a couple of concrete blocks in mine! [:O]

Now ok, the down side is you will see the MPG drop and it won't pull just as well with all that extra weight, but on the plus side it should only be necessary for a week or so, and mine looks nice and level now! [H]

·
Registered
540 Posts
Just a thought for you, mine's up at the back when the boot and the tank is empty, about as level as you get when the tank is full and by the time I get all my junk in the boot it sits abit low.

Oh it's running on Eibach prokit 30mm drop + arb's and 17'' BBS RSII's

R

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
My car was sitting higher at the rear aswell when i had it lowered, but
after I reinstalled my 2x15 inch subwoofers and two amps the rear
dropped a bit and now the car sits level.

Sonny

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I had this problem on my old Golf with Eibach pro-kit (30mm springs), absolute trash IMO.

Oh well, you learn from your mistakes [;)]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi thank for the info i think im going to change the springs back to the spax and see how it goes

or cut em ........???????

·
Registered
861 Posts
My golf sits higher at the back with 50mm lowered eibachs. sounds like this is pretty common with eibachs. I think i might just do the old concrete blocks in the boot thing. Does this actually work and how many blocks would i need ?

just pull the handbrake on as you come to a halt and it looks quite level.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Having it higher at the rear is the same when the car is standard, they do it on purpose dont they as you need it higher as you can get 3 people in the back.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I suppose it all depends on the size of the bag of sand really, if it's not a big enough bag, obviously it's not going to work and you'll just be wasting your time. Which is why i opted for the good ol' concrete blocks... Does the job a treat! [;)][H]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my spring s have been on the car ages will this weight thing work now do you think...

i cant see it personally but if you say it willilng to give it a try...

can you explain how it works as id of thought when you take them out it will just bounce back up ...

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Well that's a good point and in all honesty, they may do, but i find it can be a progressive way around things. If it bounces back up, just keep putting the blocks back in until you get a ride height you think suits your car! [;)] If you end up doing this for a few weeks, and no difference has been made, and it's not going any lower then you're current springs will be as low as they can go and hence you'll have to buy a new set. [:'(]

But coilovers would be a certain way around this problem ... It's just a case of how big a budget you have! [;)]

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Guys, front drive road cars SHOULD be a little higher at the back than the front. It reduces weight transfer to the rear on take off, increasing traction, and also adds a little lift off oversteer.

These spension companies spend many thousands of pounds developing these springs and dampers. My Koni and Hand R kit sits a little higher at the back, and it handles sweet as a nut.

Lower the back to be level with the front, then if you have anyone in the back, it will handle crappily.

Be careful getting the "look" at the expense of the actual performance of the expensive suspension you just bought!

Ideally RWD car should be a little lower at the back, for the same reversed around reasons!

And 4wd...........well on a golf I would reckon very slightly nose down as they are mainly fwd and have these great big heavy engines up front anyway!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Guys, front drive road cars SHOULD be a little higher at the back than the front. It reduces weight transfer to the rear on take off, increasing traction, and also adds a little lift off oversteer.

These spension companies spend many thousands of pounds developing these springs and dampers. My Koni and Hand R kit sit a little higher at the back, and it handles sweet as a nut.
Blimey. My H&R coilovers when set to full height all-round sit much lower at the back, even unladen. It looked cool for a while but I decided to drop the front 20 mm, and this is still not level, but I don't want to risk scraping my sump or exhaust, or give the front much more negative camber.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just put about 50 k from my bench in the boot its now sitting level there was about 1.5 inches between the front and reat heights ill let you know how i get on ... i think ill leave it about a week mabye more

i hope it works[:S]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts