Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.......due to a few unforseen circumstances I got the opportunity to take my Bora on track on Sunday - at Donnington!!! [6][6][6]

http://www.donington-park.co.uk/maps/

How much did I enjoy myself......was absolutely fantastic!! The Bora performed better than I thought it would - ok it wasnt the fastest thing on track, I passed the odd V6 Sierra, Mondy ST24 (obviously weren't trying hard enough) but I had such a blast!!! Handling wise its soooo controllable - if you want the back end to come out - come into the corner - jab the brakes......out comes the back end, steer into it, nail the power & it drifts for a moment or two then pulls you straight back out again......brilliant - I had my mate in hysterics!!!! Very entertaining!!! [:p]

I was soooo glad I'd done my 312mm Audi TT brake conversion the weekend before as these where invaluable, never experienced an ounce of brake fade - I was VERY impressed with them......managed to accidently hit the rev limiter once (to busy listening to other cars exhaust note around me) & it went into limp mode - bit of a heart stopper thought I'd killed it - ignition off & back on & away we went again!!!! [;)]

Best part was - I drove down to Donnington, did 6 track sessions (roughly 8-9 laps each @ 1.9miles per lap per session - not far off 100 miles track time), drove home all on a tank of fuel!! [H][h][h]

Anyway.....some pics of the event - should hopefully have some footage soon also....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/Lee_R21Turbo/VWBora/TrackDay2006/track6.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/Lee_R21Turbo/VWBora/TrackDay2006/track5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/Lee_R21Turbo/VWBora/TrackDay2006/track4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/Lee_R21Turbo/VWBora/TrackDay2006/track3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/Lee_R21Turbo/VWBora/TrackDay2006/track2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/Lee_R21Turbo/VWBora/TrackDay2006/track1.jpg

[Y][y][y][y][y][y]

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Silence............................................

So I take it no-one is into nor gets excited about track time & VWs then......I'll keep quiet next time then!!! [:#][:#][:#]

·
Registered
742 Posts
The pics look really good mate and look like you had lots of fun! i'll have to get my car down how much did it cost??

·
Registered
248 Posts
Do you have a rear ARB? Cos the golf isnt very tail happy and defo not easy to control but I hear these change the dynamics dramatically.

Suppose the bora will handle differently too.

Car looks wicked on the track though i'd love some pics of mine like those! I assume you have a remap/tuning box? How did you find it on the straights compared to other cars?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Been out twice so far on the track in the V5, Castle Coombe and Oulten Park;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just waiting to find my R32 front discs and calipers and an Oil temp and presure gauge to make sure I don't do any damage once on the track.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Looking good, cant wait to do something like this.

Just awaiting my re-map, wheels + tyres, and sports shocks . What were the prices?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Looks like great fun and the track looks half empty.[:D]

Done a few track days myself but on a bike and they can get a bit mental.(hence my trip into the kitty litter at donington)

Always been a bit dubious about doing one in a car as the width of them doesn't leave much room for over taking like on a bike.

Were there any exchanges of paint on the day[:S]

·
Registered
187 Posts
nice 1. a lad from work went and said there was a bora goin round the track.he said you were goin well.thought it might have been sombody off here [:p]

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Depends on the Day and location, the full day at Oulten Park cost me £210 for all Saturday with open pit lane, clocking up around 100 miles on the track. They you just need to add in the cost for possibly getting new tyres, pads, discs, underwear ....... depending how the day goes.

As for contact, this is at your own risk, as the damage will be done in the bends, so you need to disipline yourself not to chase the person in front, because A - he might corner better than you, causing you to spin out or B he spins out taking you with him.

Once on the track, it's best to make a space for youself and then learn how your car likes to be driven.

These are the guys that I used on recomendation of a friend with a Westfield

http://bookatrack.com/

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL.....flippin eck....no replies for a whole day then an influx of questions & comments!!! [:p]

Right then....

My mate paid £185 for the track time for his RS500 but his engine unfortunately expired before the event.....so he bought a MK4 GTI the day before & trailored it down there with the intention of tracking that instead - we did about 2 laps in it - very unimpressed - I think the MAF was goosed as it was flat as anything...plus the brakes werent that good either - not that we got to any great speed......so I made the suggestion of using the Bora instead!!! He did the first 3 sessions in it & I paid him.......£35 for the afternoon sessions!!!! AWESOME!!! Cheap fun!!!

Nope....I havent fitted a rear ARB. My only suspension mods are an Eibach Pro Kit - shocks & 35mm springs...oh & a boot full of tools, cables, computer equipment & a laptop!!! SERIOUSLY[:|] The back end only came out when I wanted it too (which I have to admit was quite frequent!!!), very very controllable - off the power on a corner & you can feel the back end edging out, stab the brake & whaaaayeeee - it comes out properly...steer into it, power down & it pulls out a treat - its like an addiction!!! [H]

Yes...got a tuning box fitted - turned it up a bit for the track - I had comments of '...it was smoking like a b*tch' but seemed to be going well! LOL! On the straights I must admit I was at a disadvantage - acceleration upto about 60/70 was ok but over that & other cars pulled away & had the edge (RS Turbos etc) - I did find though that I could brake quite late & still get away with it - due to my brake upgrade!!!

The track wasnt that empty to be honest - all the pics are here - http://www.i2idonington.fotopic.net/c1054226.html - it was split into Novice, Intermediate & Expert groups. I was in the Novice as that was what my mate had signed up into - but to be honest it was perfect - hardly met anyone in any corners which is ideal !!!! [:D]

I had no exchanges of paint AT ALL on the day - made sure I didnt get unsafely close to anyone else - i.e. on corners. Only damage to my car as such was the nearside tyre very outside edge!!! Worth it tho!!! [<:eek:)]

chesterian.....what was your mate in...was he on track???

No...I didnt get track insurance....was very last minute....like 'Shall we use the Bora'...'Ok then, go get your keys' [:'(][:'(][:'(]

Yeah there was a professional photographer (as per website)....still deciding which picture to have blown up & framed for my wall....which one dya reckon guys??? [:^)]

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
The back end only came out when I wanted it too
(which I have to admit was quite frequent!!!), very very controllable -
off the power on a corner & you can feel the back end edging out,
stab the brake & whaaaayeeee - it comes out properly...steer into
it, power down & it pulls out a treat - its like an addiction!!!
[H]
You got a RWD Bora? [:p]

Yeah there was
a professional photographer (as per website)....still deciding which
picture to have blown up & framed for my wall....which one dya
reckon guys??? [:^)]
I like the hard cornering shots and the cocked rear passenger wheel shots...but the ones with track in them are best, i.e. where the car is not touching the bottom of the image...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MikeDav......it felt like it at times - was loving it!!!! [H]

I know what you mean about the photos.....definately going to have to be one of those!!! [:D]

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
do any you guys use track day insurance? i really want to do this one day. but i have never bothered as im worried that i on the very unlikly chance have a crash. i no i wont go mad on the track, its just this is my only car and the every day driver. cheers

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
some pics of me at Castle Combe - http://www.bigburd.com/castlecombe/

your bora sits nicely on the track

do any you guys use track day insurance? i really
want to do this one day. but i have never bothered as im worried that i
on the very unlikly chance have a crash. i no i wont go mad on the
track, its just this is my only car and the every day driver.
cheers
I didn't bother, they wanted £150 plus an xs of 10% of car value.

..........& a boot full of tools, cables, computer equipment
& a laptop!!! SERIOUSLY[:|] The back end only came out when I
wanted it too (which I have to admit was quite frequent!!!), very very
controllable - off the power on a corner & you can feel the back
end edging out, stab the brake & whaaaayeeee - it comes out
properly...steer into it, power down & it pulls out a treat - its
like an addiction!!! [H]
Your one hell of a crazy techie chick :) in a good way, PS congrats on your 1st year on UK-MKIVS :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BigBurd.....are you trying to come onto me thinking I'm a female.....I do hope your not!!!!! [:|][:|][:|][:|]

Just to clear matters up I am a 27 year old heterosexual male- thats my girlfriend in the avatar!!!! [:p][:p][:p][:p][:p]

But yes I'll accept the crazy techie bit......just not the chick bit!!! [;)]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts