Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I thought i'd see exactly how much I could squeeze out of a tank full, and was pleasantly surprised.

For about 8-10 months now i've been using BP Ultimate Diesel and I thought the engine and injectors should be nice and clean by now, so for the last 2 tanks I switched back to normal in the hopes that a slower burn may produce greater miles?

Anyway to my delight after taking it easy on the second tank I got 637 Miles before the reserve tank kicked in.

and thats 99.9% non-motor way miles, previously I had only been getting around 500-530 so it's a big difference.

If it keeps on like this i'll be getting an extra tanks worth (compared to my old average tank full) every 5 fill ups.

As soon as it did go onto the reserve tank though I made sure I cleaned the exaust pipe out with a spirited pull away, there was a huge cloud of dust behind me [:D]

I've decided to only use Ultimate every 3 tanks full now to make sure any gunk gets a little clearing out, and i've got a tank full of that in now so i'll see what MPG I get this month with that in and then compare it again with normal on the next 2 tanks again.

Has anyone else had simmilar experiences?

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
No experiences like that (max I got out of a tank on my V5 was about 350 miles) but with figures like that I should think about a TDI if I get another Golf!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I rarely take it easy over the whole tank but for the one journey I did go easy on due to friday rush hour traffic, I got just over 80mpg according to the MFA, did take pictures of it and had posted a while ago!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sadly as mines only an S spec model I dont have the trip computer, so all I have to go on is the milage from fill up until fuel light.

It does encourage me to drive sensibly for a whole tank though rather than just one session, that way I actually do get what it says on the readout and not what I would have got hehe [;)]

·
Registered
162 Posts
As soon as it did go onto the reserve tank though I made sure I cleaned the exaust pipe out with a spirited pull away, there was a huge cloud of dust behind me [:D]
I hate you ;P

Im so jelous, I only get around 330 miles out of mine.

From the quote above, theres only one fuel tank, isnt there?

Imp

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Sadly as mines only an S spec model I dont have the trip computer, so all I have to go on is the milage from fill up until fuel light.

It does encourage me to drive sensibly for a whole tank though rather than just one session, that way I actually do get what it says on the readout and not what I would have got hehe [;)]
Not sure if it's just a case of installing a new cluster?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Impossible:

As far as I was aware as said in the manual: "(in ltre) 55 of which reserve. approx. 7"

I took that to mean there was a 48 ltre tank and then a second 7 ltre reserve tank, I also thought that the button in the fuel nozell opened an air vent in the reserve tank to allow you to fill up that tank (rather than the main one)a little more (without the air bubble inside) ?, so thats where I got the idea about a seperate tank.

However it may be as you say and there is only one tank but the light on the dash kicks in when the level goes into the 7 ltre range.

Mister E:

I did ask lots of questions on one of the technical boards and yes it did involve changing the dash cluster, but I thought that was too much work with having to mess around with the immobiliser codes and milage etc, and didnt really fancy it to purely get my MPG rating [:(]

Although it would be nice [^o)]

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, a little update to the thread.

I filled up with a tank of ultimate this time and it just ran out yesterday with 562 miles on the clock when the reserve tank kicked in.

That was with quick accelleration through the gears at every opportunity but not going above the speed limits, regular urban driving apart from one trip to margate and another to dover and back.

Just filled up with regular diesel and im going to take it very easy again and should keep it purely urban driving with no motorways.

Lets see if I can equal or beat my milage from the first post [:D]

May sound boring to some, but it gives me something to do and means I make my tank last that little bit longer between fillups.

As a side note, it was nice to see the pump prices reasonable (well fairly reasonable for english prices) once more [:)]

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
all sounds a bit anal to me [:O] If I put my foot down I `m lucky to get 200 miles to a tank [:p]
Some people do buy cars for the economy, some for the performance. We don't expect you to understand!

·
Chief Troll
15,990 Posts
all sounds a bit anal to me
If I put my foot down I `m lucky to get 200 miles to a tank
Im with you on this one!! Just drive your car and enjoy it, stop looking at the MPG gauge!!!

Im sure i could get 600+ miles on a tank out of my car, but wheres the fun in that?... ill be happy having fun getting 520!

Rich

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Yes............. and a panel filter!!
LOL!

You must surprise a load of motors in that!!! PM me the details, cost and parts of remap and filter!!! Load of MK5's going for a song up here, may be tempted with a stealth motor like that!

·
Registered
882 Posts
had a run down to pool and then weymouth at weekend and come back. four up and a boot full. 434 miles to half a tank!! drove down on sat srove back on sun. 75-80 90% of way :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts