Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been here for over a month now and I have already learnt a lot from this great forum so I thought it was time to make a post here to show you my car.

Let me make it clear that it is a work in progress, lol! By that I mean it currently looks rubbish but I am planning to improve it hugely ;-)

It is a '99 1.6 SR in Satin Silver and is bog standard at the moment. I got the car as an ex company car with 145k on the clock... which may at first sound bad BUT....it had a new engine and gearbox at 135k from VW and also had a new clutch and 4 new tyres just before I got it.

Finally there is the price......I think it was quite the bargain at only ?1000! :-D

So here it is as I got it....very dirty and looking unloved:
Posted Image

I have given it a good wash and it has clear side repeaters now but there is still much to be done. Notice the spots of rust on the bonnet and missing off-side lower grille in the front bumper for example:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Also there are several scatches on the doors and one is dented and the front bumper is just terrible..oh and the wing mirror covers are both very scratched.

I plan to make a lot of improvements but I also want to do it without spending thousands, seems I have a job on my hands to make it look good but I will keep you updated with my progress and I have just got hold of four mint GTi doors complete with all peripherals except mirrors for just over 100quid.
I look forward to your comments and any help or suggestions are very welcome. Also please feel free to drop me a PM if you have any parts which I may be interested in, especially Satin Silver GTi bumpers etc ;) Oh and I really really want some US spec rear GTi lights if anyone has any for sale.

Cheers,

Mik

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi mate.

Nice car you got there, a bargain!

I've been down the exact same road that you are on now..I have learnt a lot of things along the way which might help you.

First about colour coding..there are a few options:

Waiting for someone to sell you Satin Silver bumpers could take a long while as that colour was discontinued at end of 99. Also the are variations of Satin Silver so when & if you do get some bumpers, the colour may not match.

The other option is to buy the smoothed primered bump strips from Euro Car parts and colour match them. Using your existing ones to colour match is a long expensive job as they have to be smoothed then primered and sprayed..getting the ones that are ready to paint is an easier option.

There is a better option in my opinion though, the road I should have taken....Buy either the R-Line R32 bumpers (Awesome) or buy the Replica R32 bumpers and spray them up. This doesn't cost as much anymore and I think you can get the entire kit sprayed and fitted at Autovogue.com for about a ?1K which includes R32 side skirts. I think some members on here might be able to inform you on the best deals. I mean you paid a Grand for your car which is great but if you spend another ?1K you could get the entire R32 look for well under what people normally spend on here. I reckon that if you spent all in all another 2K on your car, it should cover suspension, wheels and body kit. So to total you would have spent 3K in total including the car! A fraction of what normally people spend to get a similar look.

Here's the Autovogue link

http://www.autovogue-commerce.co.uk/products.asp?SID=824

Good luck mate.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I agree with the comments about satin silver. Mine is the same car as yours and have waited ages to get some smooth rub strips. I managed to get a satin silver one which is a decent match to my car and one in reflex silver.  The reflex on is available if ur interested. In the middle of doing the rear but i the the color isn't right so probably gonna end up gettin it done professionally.  Keep us posted with ur progress as i'm very much interested as my car is in the same stages.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I will keep you updated with everything I do.
I had noticed actually that my rear bumper and fuel cap are a slightly different shade of silver than the rest of the car but I thought it might just have been something to do with the paint being on plastic and going a little off over time.

I was lucky to get the car at that price I know and probably just as lucky to find four Satin Silver doors in great condition. Unfortunately I just missed a fully colour coded bumper too, the guy sold it the week before :(

I'd prefer whole new bumpers to just the strips as they are both a little tatty, the front is very bad with a LOT of chips and a huge scratch but I don't think I have another 1k to spend on them just yet ;)

Also I would like some new seats, my new doors have the black cloth on the door cards and I like the look of the Blue recaros, I think they'd go well in a silver car. Any other suggestions though?

Mik

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I wasn't planning to rush it. I think patience is a virtue and a keen eye too, the right parts will become available at some point if you are there to spot them.

I don't think it is worth spending much on performance parts beyond and induction kit and maybe a nice exhaust but I would very much like to improve the handling. I had a Boge suspension kit on my Mk1 and it was great. Can anyone recommend a good set of shocks and springs for this, I want it to lower the car maybe around 20mm and of course stiffen up the handling

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I still haven't got round to fitting my newdoors yet but I thought I'd post a couple of pics of the little things I have done [;)]

Firstly there are the clear side repeaters which were less than ?10, so much better than the nasty orange originals:

Posted Image

Next up are some new pedals froma Skoda vRS I believe but they are also the same ones as in an Audi TT, in fact these ones even have Audi badges on the back! [;)] Another bargain at ?20:

Posted Image

So its coming along nicely, next thing to go on will be the US spec taillights I have just bought. Can't wait for them to arrive.

Oh and the car just flew through it's MOT this morning, The first car I have ever had that passed first time.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Good news about the MOT mate!

For suspension:

I have Eibach 30mm springs and Koni yellow shocks on mine and it handles a lot better than standard, can go round roundabouts now! Other options include a Koni fixed height kit- 40mm?? I think, get in touch with Awesome, think they were doing a good deal on it.
There is obviously coilovers for going uber low, but then you get involved with ARBs over a certain amount.Obviously replacing the ARBs stiffens up the handling no end as well.
Its up to you how far you wanna go though but Im happy with my lowerage as I knew I wouldnt want to vary the ride height!

Andy

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think I will ever want to vary the ride height either and I also don't want to make the car too low. I dropped my MkI 40mm and it looked just right though it wasn't a GTi so it was higher to begin with.
I think 30mm may be about the right amount to lower this one [:)]

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Next item on here is my new US Spec rear lights. A vast improvement on the originals I think and also better looking than the UK GTi ones [:D]

Finally it is starting to look a little different and not just the same as every other Golf owned by someone who doesn't care:

Posted Image

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sadly progress has been a little slower than I'd liked but here is a much belated picture of it with the alloys on (taken ages ago)
Managed to get the wheels as new and some part worn but really rather good condition Michellin tyres for ?350 all together.

I STILL haven't got the doors on! and seeing my old posts I now realise how long thats been!!

Just picked up some nice GTi bumpers from a fellow uk-mkivs member and also arriving this week are my flat aero wipers and German plates [:D]

Things are hopefully back in motion.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The end of a very productive week and I'm more than happy with the results [:D]

Firstly I have put my new bumpers on so they are now fully colour coded and not scratched?&?chipped to hell as before.
Also put a V6 4Motion valance on the front and have cut out the backs in the vents so they run hrough rather than being blocked off as standard.
Bumpers were ?80 plus another ?40 for the valance.

Posted Image

To really compliment the bumpers I also got some German plates, both white and Wolfsburg seals of course. ?19.99 from europl8 on ebay plus ?4.99 for the seals. They are pressed metal and excellent quality, definitely recommended.

Posted Image

Finally I replaced the wipers. I'd have liked to go all out for real aero wipers but these retro-fit flat blades look ok for ?15.

Posted Image

Oh and I also got an induction kit a while ago but never showed it, a great deal for ?35 and it sounds very good.

Posted Image

Now I really need to get the GTi doors on there and get the rust on the bonnet sorted. [;)]

·
Registered
172 Posts
The cars lookin pretty schaweet mate. I'm in a similar position to you, I've just bought a 1.6 SE, and it looks like your 1 step ahead of me at the moment! I've managed to get sum rs8 replica wheels second hand, ive got them refurbed, and theyre lookin prety good. I've done a few lil' bits like change the side repeaters, and i've de wipered my rear windscreen. But now I want to colour code all ma nasty black bump strips, etc, but i don't know the best way to go about it. Where did you source your bumpers from? and what did you do about the door bump strips? have you replaced the doors? I was thinking of getting them sprayed but i'm not to sure now after reading LoEnuff's useful information.

Sorry for all the questions [:D] Just thought i'd ask as it seems we are both in a very similar position!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got my bumpers through this great forum in the classifieds section, from Cluke who posted just before you in fact [:)]
Of course they were already colour coded and painted in Satin Silver so all I had to do was fit them.

I found the doors on ebay, luckily the guy had a full set. They are also fully colour coded and already in Satin Silver so I will replace my doors completely, sadly I haven't got them on yet though.

I can't really give you a guaranteed way of getting some, I was just patient and kept an eye at for them, eventually you'll find someone who has what you need. You can also try breakers yards.

You could look at getting the rubbing strips painted but the black ones are textured and so will need smoothing before painting.

Mik

1 - 20 of 20 Posts