Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll take some pics once I've sorted the few bodywork bits on, I have some build up pics to upload.

Firstly, a bit of the background story. I have never really been a massive fan of the mk4, I always thought they were a bit too big and lardy and didn't look or feel like a golf anymore, so I'd never even considered buying one. But, I saw this one in the local breakers yard and it caught my eye, mainly because although it was classed as a CAT D write off, it didn't have any crash damage as such. The previous owner had driven over something, smashing the alloy sump open and dropping all the oil. This meant that it's been ran dry. The salvage yard had welded it up but not bothered to run it agian. Other that that, the passenger rear door has somme danage, the front undetray was missing, and the exhaust had a slight dint in it.

It appealed to me as I already had a spare 2003 V6 4 motion BDE engine sat in my garage! I'd part exed my VR6 Schrick manifold for it as I needed the matching management setup for my R32 engined Corrado project. The ide was to buy it on the old credit card, fix it and sell it within a month before the bill needed paying, kerching, ?200 profit easy. Well, that WAS the plan....As I work a few doors down from the breakers I kept popping in until the price dropped to a level where it was worth buying and I waded in with my offer. He refused, but I got it for the lowest price they'd take as they'd had it for a few months and knew it would be hard to sell. I ended up taking it home that afternoon. Seeing as the Corrado was due for an oil change (after 1500 miiles!) I thought I'd pour it into the 4 motion and fire it up. To my amazement it ran fine! although when revved a knock was evident and when I took the oil filter off it was full of bottom end bearing material....dead.

Now this is where the problems start, Due to the car having a pretty high spec, Santa Monicas, black leather Recaros (with arm rest and 3rd head rest), glass sunroof, DSP sound upgrade, xenons etc etc it was just to good to pass on and felt great, even whilst being towed! so, I got my head around owning a 5 door golf (something I'd NEVER have thought about) and made the decision that the Corrado would have to go, as the mk4 would make a far better and more practical daily car, and it made much more sense from a money.depreciation point of view. Plus, I already had the 13K R32 engine in the corrado, and I'd broken an R32 a month before and still had the brakes, suspension, rear ARB, gearbox, flywheel and clutch, clocks, keys, AMD'd ECU, Sat Nav, Schrick cams and Milltek race cats. It just seemed to be fate that I'd ened up with all these bits and a half price 4 Motion with no crash danage....you can guess the rest..

So, last weekend and over a few nights this week I've been transplanting the R32 lump into the 4 Motion. I got it running last night, and swapped the correct management in today (it'll run on the 2.8 setup) and took it for it's MOT. It failed unfortunately, The front brake pads had rusted to the carriers due to 6 months without use. But that was all, it'll pass in the morning. I'll get the air con re-gassed too.

It should be around 270bhp at the moment (I'm guessing the 4 motion exhaust isn't too clever, it doesn't look it), but the smoothness of the car doesn't make it feel that quick, until you look at the speedo! Well impressed with the extra perkiness of the engine since I fitted the cams, pulls hard from 3000rpm, but it feels totally different to how it did in the Corrado with the 6lb flywheel on it. Not as raw or quick, but that's a good thing really. It also seemd far to quiet, but again, I think I'm happy with that as I hate boomy exhausts. Traction wise it's spot on, but the suspension is horrendous! and it's not until you try and slow it from 90+ that you realise just how heavy it is. All of which will be sorted i nthe next month or so.

All in all, it's no race car, but that's good, I never wanted it to be, but it'll be a quality daily driver, feels like a merc inside, and with the standard looks it shouldn't attract too much attention from scrotes, the plod, or boy racers. just wait until I encounter a 'real' R32 on the road! ;-)

Still loads to do and some goodies to fit, such as the brakes suspension and 18"s. Sat nav etc etc. I won't be adding any modifications to it though. it's all staying OEM, so it'll basically be a full R32 but with different trim (and arguably better, more tasteful trim at that) and with out the in your face styling of the factory R32.

I'll use this thread to keep udating pics.

I'll be at Ed38 if you fancy a nosey. It's got no vents int he front bumper (missing, not smoothed!) and the passenger rear door seems to havee taken a hammer blow for some unknown reason.

Sorry for waffling on, but that's the story of my first mk4 golf (thankfully I skipped the mk3 and went for the 3.2 4wd corrado instead (which is for sale by the way))

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Nice, i remember you from the-corrado.net when i was on there last year
looking for a C. It was around june i think and you had just finished
building a hi-po vr6 engine but it wasn't running right i think i
recall?

Glad you've taken a shine to the mk4 though. It'll never get close to
the Corrado in terms of handling or looks but i don't think they
deserve the bad press they've got. They had a lot to live up to and i
don't think its all VW's fault that they've put on so much weight
(crash/safety laws etc).

I reckon in a couple of months you'll at least upgrade the suspension.
I know the factory suspension on my V5 was awful. Very crashy and not
inspiring at all. After fitting the Highsports it transformed it and
improved the ride quality no end.

Good luck [:)]

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Sounds like you got a real bargain buy mate, best of luck with the project.

Although, I think I would have been tempted to keep the Co.:Rrado though, I bet that was a serious drive !!!

·
Registered
837 Posts
As I said in one of the other posts, the idea of your car really interests me. I've always been a big fan of sleepers and the fun they can provide.

Keep us all up to date on the progress and get some piccys up !

·
Registered
293 Posts
i assume you mean you're keeping the standard exterior, and not adding the R32 kit? if so, this will be quite the secret weapon.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Sounds ace, thats what I love a sleeper, thats why I am hoping to put a
supercharger on mine ASAP mines on coilovers but it aint that low as I
prefer to be a practical and subtle, your right though the handling is
shocking my coilovers halped a bit but what made the biggest difference
was the R32 arb's I am now just looking for a cheap TT rack to tighten
up the steering response

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah, it can't even come close to the corrado as far as cornering speeds go. I'm taking corners at 80mph and the tyres are complaining, on bend I could take at over 90 without a squeak in the corrado. but I'm thinking a lot of that is down to the tyres as I had toyo R888's on the corrado asd they are amazing.

comfort wise it's streets ahead. no matter what I do to the corrado it's never going to drive as smooth as the mk4 does, and for a road car I'll take the comfort and driveability over the outright handling. As it stands, I wouldn't dare take the mk4 out on track, the suspension os really that bad. I'm fitting the factory R32 bilsteins and that's it. No fancy bushes, no strut braces or any of that nonsense. been there, done that, made several cars almost undriveable on the road as a result, not going there again.

extrior wise, definetely no R32 kit, I sold the sideskirts and rear spolier to a made for peanuts before I even got this car. the rear bumper was also sold to a mate, as was the milltek exhaust. the only concession i am making to body mods will be badge removal and black vw badges in place of the chrome ones.

As for interior, sold the R32 seats, the Recaros are much better, and they actually fit in the car properly too.

I gave the car a full Zymol treeatment at Edition 38. it took me 3.5 hours!! but it subdued my hangover and the car looks 2 years newer now! it's come up really well, I'm amazed at the lack of stone chips.

oh, those pics, sorry!

when I bought it, pre zymol and with the rattly 2.8 in it.

Posted Image

sexy recaro's and armrest

Posted Image

dsp and gash walnut trim (going in my dads tdi)

Posted Image

manky exhausts and gay badges

Posted Image

factory fitted xenons

Posted Image

the door damage and a huge bird shit

Posted Image

the cams (eek!!)

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
That's quite a project.  I would love to be able to do something like this myself one day.  Do you have any pictures of the car as it is now, after the work?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Blimey Paul do you have the odd albatros in your area? Some serious bird droppings there!

Looks nice and will be good having the R32 go without the show.. big fat Rear ARB makes a huge difference to the handling, it will never feel like a mk2/corrado though. I did a cross country drive yesterday in my 1.8T that I used to love in my old mk2, mk4 doesn't handle it as well at all, and the front suspension keeps bottoming, it's on KW coilovers and I suspect could do with stiffer springs..

Sumps are vulnerable.. here's what mine looked like after greeting a cat's eye recently![:O]

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/304058/ShowPost.aspx

You still got the orange MK2 about or is that now long gone?

Scott

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Looks like there a few of us older times on this forum from the MK2 days

When GTI International was worth going to ........

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Blimey Paul do you have the odd albatros in your area? Some serious bird droppings there!

Looks nice and will be good having the R32 go without the show.. big fat Rear ARB makes a huge difference to the handling, it will never feel like a mk2/corrado though. I did a cross country drive yesterday in my 1.8T that I used to love in my old mk2, mk4 doesn't handle it as well at all, and the front suspension keeps bottoming, it's on KW coilovers and I suspect could do with stiffer springs..

Sumps are vulnerable.. here's what mine looked like after greeting a cat's eye recently![:O]

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/304058/ShowPost.aspx

You still got the orange MK2 about or is that now long gone?

Scott
Hi scott

haven't seen you on the forums for a while, didn't know you had a mk4.

yeah, usmps are a worry, hence why I'm only lowering mine on the stock R32 billes and no lower. but, the ally sumps is a good thing, it's the only reason I got the car so cheap.

yeah, still got the orange mk2, getting rid of the corrado and the lupo and concentrating all my efforts into the mk2 once the mk4 is all R32'd up and running reliably for daily abuse.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I pop into the Clubgti forum occaisionally but can't keep up with it these days, I have to work in my current job! [;)]

Had the mk4 for ages, started as the wifey's car... when our first sprog arrived though we needed a bigger wagon so I sold the mk2 [:(] and started to ruin the MK4. Still miss the old Red mk2 though.. it's now green and beating around Bournemouth somwwhere...

Hey Rehman, there's a name from the past, arhh the godd old egroups days!

Scott

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Hi Scott,

I moved from the MK2 to MK4 for the same reason and I am doing 400 miles a week as well in it. Bought a TDi.

Good to see names from the past, still on the Dub scene

·
Registered
836 Posts
I do over 500 miles a week but still haven't given into the dark side, well not with the Golf anyway.. passat is a TDI sport

1 - 20 of 68 Posts