Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Department of Cheeseburger Consumption
5,677 Posts
A bit of background, I recently emigrated from the UK to the US, having built a charity rat Polo project, and put my beloved supercharged MX-5 into long-term storage.

Well, having lived in the states for only a couple of weeks I decided to bite the bullet and get myself a car.

Initially I was just planning on getting a rusty beater (like everyone else in the state of Michigan it seems) but then I found this....

20344299045_bb42e5691f_b.jpgKaylog the 86 Camaro by Tim Dawkins, on Flickr

I've decided to start a new youtube channel to share my car adventures with family and friends, so here's the video postcard I made about this car:

For those of you who are not of the youtube inclination, here's the specs:

"Kaylog" is a 1986 3rd Gen Chevrolet Camaro T-Top. She has a 2.8 Litre V6 engine mated to a Tremec 5 speed.

19721670294_2175982644_b.jpgKaylog the 86 Camaro by Tim Dawkins, on Flickr

I had originally wanted to get a fox-body mustang of this sort of age, but after giving up hope of finding one near me I expanded my horizons and came to look at this car. Seeing the condition of the paint (excellent) and how she drove (suprisingly nicely for a boat) .

19721657664_9d2f8e1e43_b.jpgKaylog the 86 Camaro by Tim Dawkins, on Flickr

She has a few choice modifications, including a smattering of polybushes, a fairly serious set of kicker subs in the back, a complete stainless exhaust system, etc etc...

20157659179_d1425391ae_b.jpgKaylog the 86 Camaro by Tim Dawkins, on Flickr

Obviously the big elephant in the room is the engine. Yes, its a malaise era V6 with a lower specific output than my last Polo. 135bhp from 2.8 L? Really, GM?

But, for now, it makes some great noises (thanks to that exhaust) and is part of an otherwise very clean car. Of course, being an F-body car the options for engine swaps are plentiful and cheap so I'm not confined to this motor forever. But, for now, it will do.

I don't really have a specific plan for this car, other than to enjoy it for what it is, take it on a few road trips, and maybe add a couple of creature comforts.

20156252888_7791d08a42_b.jpgKaylog the 86 Camaro by Tim Dawkins, on Flickr

We shall see how she evolves.

Comments welcome!

Tim

·
Diesel Geek
4,089 Posts
Good to see that you dived in at the deep end! I expect the insurance is cheaper than the olop too! Friend of mine emigrated in the 90's and promptly bought a Fiero to replace the AX GT he had in the UK. Crazy how these yanks can screw so little power out of such big CC's but it should be quite torquey I guess.

·
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh now this is a whole new level of cool. Doing 'Murica properly! B)
Thanks! Just trying to fit in :p

Good to see that you dived in at the deep end! I expect the insurance is cheaper than the olop too! Friend of mine emigrated in the 90's and promptly bought a Fiero to replace the AX GT he had in the UK. Crazy how these yanks can screw so little power out of such big CC's but it should be quite torquey I guess.
Insurance here is rape unfortunately :angry: The state requires quite a high level of injury cover so even "3rd party only" cover is of the order of £1200 a year - although they tend to do policies for 6 month periods, not for a year.

That's awesome TIm! :Y: How much did the polo go for in the end??
Thanks mate! B) I got £884 for the turd in the end.

·
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys!

Well I've now made my first "Mod" to the car - a fresh set of centre caps to replace the two missing (and two broken) ones.

19842653423_a79a64f254_b.jpgCentre Caps by Tim Dawkins, on Flickr

Much chrome. Many shiny. Wow.

And, in other news, I've entered myself and the car into the Ohio Valley 700 Rally (by Rally North America) for this October.

See: https://www.rallynorthamerica.com/rallies/ohio-valley-700-fall-2015/ for more info. We (my friend Mo and I) will be running in Kaylog as Team Al-Derpins, car number 42 (of course).

The Rally organisers require all entrants to raise some money for the Ohio Epilepsy Foundation, so we will be aiming to raise $750 for the foundation between now and when the rally kicks off in October. The fundraising page is here and I will likely be whoring it out in a big way closer to the time

I've always wanted to do one of these type of events should be a laugh! There will be much to do between now and then, including raising the money as well as designing a livery (thank god I have my own vinyl cutter), lots of rally-specific mods etc etc...

Stay tuned!

·
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's awesome Tim! :Y: always wanted to do a fun rally like that, seems like a really good laugh :) can't wait to see how you mod this! Donated some cash as well :Y:
Naaaaw fanks :wub: Got me off to a headstart over my co-driver then! I'll create some sort of Glympse account or something so y'all can track me on the rally.

Race numbers and no confederate flags! (its not a Charger ;))
Union flag on the roof? Union flag on the roof. :whistle: Except wait. There's not really much of a roof to go on. (T-Top)

·
Diesel Geek
4,089 Posts
Now a Union Jack might be more interesting, with no roof; how about the doors? Just remember that tea party in Boston.

·
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got a shiny thing in the post today! From Summit Racing no less.

20512893672_156d27fd42_z.jpg

Shiny thing by Tim Dawkins, on Flickr

It's the first part of a few to come. Basically, because this is an 80s GM car, its security is laughably awful (yes that is my professional engineering opinion) I want to add a snap off steering wheel, so I can take it in the house when the car is parked up as a theft deterrent.

This is the 6 bolt boss adaptor (suprisingly hard to find over here, they mostly prefer 5 or 3 bolt wheels) which is the first piece of the puzzle.

·
King Dogger
13,907 Posts
Very nice Tim :)

What a beast, I was following the Polo build on Youtube, very good.

·
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
never seen on the those but it looks friggin cool!

sound clip of the exhaust? :p
Oooh, good idea! I have some new audio recording stuff coming in the post, will definitely have to do this to test it out!

Very nice Tim :)

What a beast, I was following the Polo build on Youtube, very good.
WhythankyouMrJay :D

·
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, today I made a couple of little changes to the car. One was the fitting of the super jdm mad tyte y0 dorifto potato steering wheel:

20449435548_44e98912b1_c.jpg

Dorifto Steering Wheel by Tim Dawkins, on Flickr

20450745279_bccfed2ece_c.jpg

Dorifto Steering Wheel by Tim Dawkins, on Flickr

I'm still waiting on the snap-off boss to arrive, and I've just ordered a Nardi steering wheel (which is coming from some far off country), to eventually replace this thing with somehting a little more retro.

It's a nice wheel this one though, and its about 4" less diameter than the original camaro wheel, so it makes the car feel like it turns a little quicker. Just not quite the right style for this car at the end of the day.

Other than that, I made a couple of little cheeky stickers for the t-tops.

20014879404_69e4a15bae_c.jpg

T-Tops: Remove Before Flight by Tim Dawkins, on Flickr

...and a Camaro one for the front plate blank

20628310422_693a20b74a_c.jpg

DSC_0009 by Tim Dawkins, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 50 Posts