Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But I am still unsure if it will fit my 1998 Passat TDi 110 without loads of hassle. I hear it will be no hassle from some, and am told not to bother by others. The yankees in the TDi club reckon I will need a pipe to go into the interior and my girl friend ready to suck on it for it to work properly.

If it does fit, I have Transporter Multivan Injectors lined up to go in with them.

Thereafter, a planned re-map will hopefully see me shoot up to 160bhp and closer to 300ft/lb of torque. Thats the plan anyway. Anyone done this on a Passat?

Am still at 132bhp and 242ft/lb of torque. Need more power or I will need to buy a faster car again. Am starting to miss the Scooby's performance now, but given the current price of fuel, dont want another one (although the Scooby Flat Four burble can be worth it!)

I am however starting to see low 150 PD GT TDi Golfs sell for close on ?10,000. Maybe I should bite the bullet....

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funnily, on my way from the pictures last night, saw a red 1.8T Ibiza Cupra beat a Silver Scooby WRX at the lights on the Boulie in Aberdeen. No idea what it had under the bonnet, but the Scooby was def trying.

What MPG does a 1.8T do? A revo'd 150PD Golf would be the ticket for me I think just like that silver one from Peterhead OIL****....

...or a 1998 Passat TDi 110 with a 150PD Turbo, Transporter Injectors and Re-map....

·
Registered
752 Posts
yeah i seen that TDi going about.. some other nice ones going about in aberdeen too lately..

Edit: i get around 28 - 33 MPG on my 1.8T per tank, i drive to dyce and back for work etc..

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw a really nice 150TDi PD GTi 3 door the other day in Ellon with Xenons, tints and uprated suspension and wheels. And I assume it was chipped too given the rate of accelaration.

Course, there are some real dodgy golfs too, with cheapo evo style bunpers and dodgy lights.

Wish I hadnt been so grippy with my cash when I was looking for golfs, (I got the Passat for a steel) but they are always about 2 to 3 grand dearer up with us than down south. The best one I saw was in Edinburgh, a 150PD for 12k, but it was red which was fine, but it had been pranged which was not - the colour match was poor, and it was the rear wing.

Looked at a GTi 1.8T at Hawco in Peterhead yesterday. 53 plate and 15995!!

You can get a new UK delivered GT TDi off the web for 16.5K!!

Any opinions on tuning my Passat? Is that guy at Wallace Performance worth trying or not?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I wont go into it but from what ive heard wallace are a bunch of jokers. Bedrock VW or star performance would do you proud though im sure!

If you want to see what a GTi T is like chipped etc i would easy take you out for a run in mine sometime? I'm running around 220-235bhp. Like i say just ask as im in aberdeen most weekends!

As fast as a subaru bit without the 'image' and it'll do 30-40mpg if you drive like a woman [:D]

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
well i got a seven month old 150 TDi Golf off a dealer two months ago for 15k, and it replaced a 1.8T, so i've experienced both worlds.

The 150 TDi has fantastic ecomomy, i'm getting 600 miles to the same amount of fuel where the petrol was returning 280 miles. I have basically bought the motor on my fuel saving.

I also had the car at DMS Automotive for some tuning in conjunction with Volkswagen Driver magazine and tried out their new one click style s electable tuning on my car. After a recent rolling road session it returned 185bhp and 290ftlbs. The revo dealer who was present was really shocked!!

Stick with derv mate!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Quote: posted by djhorace on 24/10/2004 21:22:13

... Is that guy at Wallace Performance worth trying or not?

nnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Keep well away if I was you!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did go to Wallace to get my Passat on the rolling road, and it was a shiny new one with PC printouts and stuff. He also said he could work on any car including mine. Looked pretty good and I was impressed.

He was in the guts of a Skyline GTS 2.5T when I was there over the space of 4 days (to get the rolling road test and to pick up the print out). But he did say it was getting fine tune and that it was costing the guy ?60 an hour for every hour on the r/r. Wasnt impressed by that.

I heard 4 Scoobys got screwed up getting an Ecutek thingumy done too.

I would love to experience a hurl in a chipped golf 1.8t and a 150PD if offers are open. However I know it will make me sick with envy afterward. And then that horrible feeling of my own car and no spine compressing push when I return to it!

I assume from all this you guys would say no to tuning the Passat?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Quote: posted by djhorace on 25/10/2004 12:00:36

I did go to Wallace to get my Passat on the rolling road, and it was a shiny new one with PC printouts and stuff. He also said he could work on any car including mine. Looked pretty good and I was impressed.

He was in the guts of a Skyline GTS 2.5T when I was there over the space of 4 days (to get the rolling road test and to pick up the print out). But he did say it was getting fine tune and that it was costing the guy ?60 an hour for every hour on the r/r. Wasnt impressed by that.

I heard 4 Scoobys got screwed up getting an Ecutek thingumy done too.

I would love to experience a hurl in a chipped golf 1.8t and a 150PD if offers are open. However I know it will make me sick with envy afterward. And then that horrible feeling of my own car and no spine compressing push when I return to it!

I assume from all this you guys would say no to tuning the Passat?

Doesn't surprise me. The only reason the RR is good is because its a dastek!!

The only reason i did not mention tuning the passat is because i honestly have no idea if it would work. I know the pd150 runs a front mounted intercooler though so this may halt your progress a bit. I guess the best option is to get the car up on ramps and check to see if the downpipe etc will bolt straight up. If it would then i assume you'd be fine with your larger injectors and a custom remap. I know star performance have started doing custom remaps and Jim know's his stuff from what i hear.

The offer is open anytime for a run in my car, even if it makes your car feel spineless GTi T's are getting so cheap these days it'd be rude not to [:D]

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
why not buy a PD130 Passat and just get that chipped [?]. It will probaly cost you less to swap cars, than to fit the 150 turbo unit and change the injectors [?].

There is not really much difference between a remapped 130 & 150 afterall, maybe 10-15bhp from the same tuner [?].

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Think I will look around for another car, but in the mean time, will see if it is possible to add the 150 turbo or not.

How much would I be likely to get for my 2 Passats?

1. Green 20v Sport 1997 Passat 62k, 1 year MOT, 6mths tax. FSH. Clean

2. Blue TDi 110 Sport 1998 Passat 83k, 1 year MOT, 10mths tax. FSH. Clean

I am hoping for 3k for the Petrol one and 3.5 for the diesel....

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Quote: posted by djhorace on 23/10/2004 13:59:21

Funnily, on my way from the pictures last night, saw a red 1.8T Ibiza Cupra beat a Silver Scooby WRX at the lights on the Boulie in Aberdeen. No idea what it had under the bonnet, but the Scooby was def trying.

What MPG does a 1.8T do? A revo'd 150PD Golf would be the ticket for me I think just like that silver one from Peterhead OIL****....

...or a 1998 Passat TDi 110 with a 150PD Turbo, Transporter Injectors and Re-map....

a revo'd ibiza can give figures anywhere from 200bhp to 210bhp, add a turbo back exaust and a better CAI and your laughing.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Quote: posted by 02 Bora on 25/10/2004 12:53:02

There is not really much difference between a remapped 130 & 150 afterall, maybe 10-15bhp from the same tuner [?].

I was told by Reflex TDI that a remapped 130 & 150 are different animals altogether. He should know as he's owned both.

I would suggest a V6 TDI Passat as these are great engines and now have the PD system. The VNT20 will easily handle 2bar of boost reliably and 200 bhp is easily achieveable. Don't quote me on this but I think the 150 & 180 variants just run different maps (like the 150 & 180 Turbo GTI's).

I quite fancy one of these engines for my Golf[:D]

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Think I will take up any/all (cheers chief) slingshot offers of runs in tuned 1.8T and PD 130/150's to help me decide [:D][:D][:D]

One of the local guys with us has a Leon Cupra and he is talking of 225bhp soon. Worth thinking about too, but think I would def miss the high mpg's.....

I have a set of 17" Kahn RSS wheels with Dunlop 235/45/17 and uprated suspension on my blue Passat. Will swap them back to the standard VW 16's, and swap the springs back. The green car is bog standard. Bought it cheap from my work to make some ???'s off it.

I have been told you have a vagcom to code up keys for VW's too chief. Maybe you could take it with you when you are next in Aberdeen. I am missing a key from both my Passats although I have a new one which will need added to be coded to one of them.

Hopefully I will be in the country till next week!!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
If you can find out the procedure for coding the key i will easily do it with my vag-com. Does the key have a transponder in it? I'm not sure what part has to be coded, perhaps the transponder is blank until coded?

Like i say im in aberdeen most weekends so whenever suits you mate? Friday if ya like? Sling me a PM

1 - 19 of 19 Posts