Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I have asked about a musty A/C smell before.

Ive used 2 a/c bombs and one dealer clean to try and cure it. Ive replaced the pollen filter too...

Now A/C on with/or without recirc there is NO SMELL..THIS PART IS FINE..

Only when I use the BLOWER ON ITS OWN cool say..do I still get this weird earthy musty smell, like old house kinda smell. Im still at a loss what else could be causing this ?[:(]

Any one got any other ideas ?

Anyone else got this problem ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have a good look through the haynes manual too..Im determined to get to the bottom of this one!! Stay posted..

·
Registered
808 Posts
Take off your wiper arms pop off the plastic plenum cover and you will find damp rotten leaves,twigs, maybe you wont but thats the only option left unless you live in an area like Shrek and everwhere stinks [:D]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers mate lets hope so..Before I changed the pollen filter the compartment was filled with leaves and twigs etc....Perhaps they are also further down like you say.....

Maybe somethings died in my A/C ?!![:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I reckon i've still got a really stinky evaporator...Now the question is does anyone know how to get to or near it to give it a real blast of some mould/cleaner or something?? Im loathed to go the stealers for 70 squid but I guess if it does the job then maybe i'll have to..

Anyone found a how to de-stink an evaporator?? Any info would be gratefully appreciated...Thanks guys

yes, ive tried an a/c bomb. Two in fact...Smells ok for a couple of days then back to normal..Stinking car...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi

the smell your on about is a build up of bacteria within the aircon

system.

In our workshop we use a product made by werth, it comes in a spray can with a long nozzle and it is sprayed through the pollen filter vent, takes about 25mins and cures it every time!

I will find the exact product name and number and post it on here tomorrow.

i would imagine you could buy a similar product from a main dealer or motor factors?

Hope this has been some help!

Jas[:D]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Found some more information on the web. It is Wurth Air Conditioning & Heating System Treatment. There is like a long hose thingy to get right into the evaporator..

Looks like the biznis

Anyone know any retailers in the UK ??!! [?]

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
a mate of mine lives near dartford, im sure id be able to sort something out for you! do you know where hextable is near swanley??

jas

1 - 17 of 17 Posts