Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many peeps have mudflaps fitted to their motors? I'm toying with the idea of putting some on, purely for the sole reason of cutting down the amount of grime thats getting over the back of the car. With the amount of motorway driving i'm now doing, i am wondering if they are going to cut down dirt.

Obviously as i've fitted side skirts it might look daft. Was just wondering if they work.

If anyones got any pics/links it would help.

Also, does anyone know:

a) The part numbers for the flaps

b) If they are easy to bolt on

c) If they come with the VW logo on as standard (as i've seen various kinds on a few golfs recently).

Help appreciated as usual.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
The topic of Mudflaps is a firm forum favourite and i'm sure a search would reveal all.

But..

German and Swedish sell a set of tailored flaps for about 20 quid (set of 4), don't have the logo though. Fitting is quite easy for the fronts and can be done with the wheels on. The rears will however require removal of the wheels.

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Quote: posted by ct.p on 09/12/2004 14:38:16

The topic of Mudflaps is a firm forum favourite and i'm sure a search would reveal all.

But..

German and Swedish sell a set of tailored flaps for about 20 quid (set of 4), don't have the logo though. Fitting is quite easy for the fronts and can be done with the wheels on. The rears will however require removal of the wheels.

Who are German and Swedish?? Im considering some mudflaps at the moment, but unlike Essex Escy I prefer the ones without the VW logo. I would still like them to be genuine VW ones and to fit perfectly, but just without the logo.

Dont want to go into a VW parts dept and ask for them only to have to reject them if they have the logo on, that would probably destroy what minimal brain cells that the parts guy owns in the first place. Those folk dont understand..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, i agree i like the look of them when they are on a black car, but as my car is berry red, i'm thinking that they are going to look a little odd!

Wonder if anyone on here has a 'coloured' car apart from silver or black with the little fellas fitted.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
I've got green but it's quite dark so you might not get a good idea. Gerard's got a silver car and has colour coded them - they look the biz. You could consider that?

Posted Image

Oh, and for what it's worth - I love my mudflaps! [:D]

·
Registered
766 Posts
^^^^^^^^^i've seen that car somewhere before[:eek:)]

Quote: posted by evilhomer on 09/12/2004 20:47:23

Had to take mine off cos too low to leave them on...[:(]

how low is your car???????? mine is 50mm they catch on stuff at the front but still have them on

woohoo as far as i know i was first to colour code them[^].

as for keeping the back of the car clean, no way thats a myth they don't!!!!

·
Registered
766 Posts
don't think u can get them with the logo anymore, i wanted them at the time when i first got the car and the parts dude said they no longer came with the logo, that was 2 yrs ago...........might be wrong though

·
Registered
682 Posts
Ref. Logo's on the mudflaps,VW stopped making them with logos on some time ago,unless you have a Lupo,in which case they still have logos! In my opinion,they look quite smart-ive got a full set on my reflex silver 4mo. If it didnt have them already,id have fitted a set. Go on,you know you want them!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by gerard on 09/12/2004 22:42:15

how low is your car???????? mine is 50mm they catch on stuff at the front but still have them on

I have an inch between my sump and a flat floor. I'm on the bottom of adjutable oilovers at the rear, and almost at the bottom at the front, whilst running 235/35/18 tyres which still give quite a lot of arch clearance. madness.[}:)]

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had to take the front flaps off as they were catching on road humps and kerbs etc. Ive only put the eibach springs and dampers on too. When i removed them I noticed that the paint underneath had been scratched where i was catching the flaps. Ive left the rears on and it doesnt look to bad, only scrapes with people in back.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote: posted by gerard on 09/12/2004 22:42:15

Yes they definately look the part colour coded. Is it a diy job or best left to the experts (pro bodyshop etc)? Food for thought. Agree that the ones with the logos on are more appealing personally tho.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.