Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having some trouble over the past few months with someone hacking into my msn account and then when i make a new one doing the same. Just wondering if anyone knows how easy it is to hack into a msn account? Someone told me it is impossible but how else did they find out my password?

Any help appreciated.

Bex.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Perhaps they installed a key logger application, this is a simple application that will save key inputs. This can be saved as a file and viewed later - they can try and guess user accounts and passwords.

If you use a shared PC then you should choose the option 'shared pc' so no private data will be cached for you. Also use a good anti spywpare to search for key loggers frequently. Search for 'Adaware' on the net and download the freebie one.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Right ok thanks. I have the new norton anti virus internet thingy is that no good then?
That's the first thing I uninstall on new laptops. (Except for some inexplicable reason I've put up with it on my own laptop for 11 months, only the other day Norton LiveUpdate generated a popup asking permission to access the internet. Huh? That should go without saying, but there was no option to say "remember my answer for next time" and just out of curiosity I denied it access, so it asked me again, another 16 times before giving up...)

Install this http://free.grisoft.com (AVG) and see if it catches anything Norton missed. If you've got time, install http://security.kolla.de as well (Spybot 1.4 - do a system update, then immunise, then scan)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, ill install whatever it takes. I'll have to install them tomorrow though coz im too tired to do it now. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I picked up a nasty virus from MSN. Coolwebsearch. Designed by someone very clever but with a twisted sick sense of humour.

I shifted it with;

• Spybot Search and Destroy (good bit of freeware)
  • HijackThis (also free)
  • Xoftspy (cost $40 but worth it - was the final cure)

Go get 'em! [:mad:]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
How do you actually know someone has your password? Next time you come online I shall message you in my usual nasty way and see if it's you! I'll be able to tell if it's you or not!

The other thing to do would be to go to www.msn.co.uk, change your password and also change your security questions etc.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I have been using Adaware SE
for quite sometime and installed onto many systems at work aswell but
you cannot rely on just the one bit of software, I also use
spybot and regisrty mechanic to iron out some of the probs.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
All good answers, but there is another piece of freeware I use called "SpywareBlaster" (http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html) which seems to be quite effective in blocking spyware.

I use Ad-aware, Spybot and SpywareBlaster and the only way I get spyware is if I install it along with another program by not paying attention.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
msn use to be easy to hack ................ie ping the server with scripts and all sorts of stuff .........read nukes was the easy way ie pick a victim and then send it ....... use to ping ya back with a password

.... but not sure how easy it is now

oh and if ya wondering how i know .....i use to run chat rooms on irc many years ago and other networks .....

so had to be clued up on the battle tools to keep rooms from being taken over ...............[;)]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Graham- How do I know? Well when they first did it i couldnt log in at all coz they had changed the password and ppl that were on my msn list were asking me weird q's, like 'why the hell were you talking dirty last night' etc. Immediately knew something was wrong! Anyway, i got a new account and it happened again. This is my 3rd account now and its been ok since...touch wood.

Was just wondering if there was a way to prevent it happening and I think you guys have given me all the help I need. Obviously I know realise I cant rely just on Norton. Still havent managed to download any stuff as this is the first time ive been on pc since i last replied. Will definitely get it sorted though. Sooo many to chose from.....I'll soon stop the idiot or idiots!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
When you were talking dirty to me I thought you were just pleased to see me! [:'(]

So now you got a new account and I don't know it. So are you still signing in under your old one cus your on sometimes, you just ignore me as per usual [:D]

If you got a new account, add me, I want some abuse [:)]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts