Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed their MPG dropping when putting bigger wheels on?

I used to get 50-55 mpg on my way to and from work with my TDI but I cant get 50 now!

Is this down to the bigger friction on the tyres?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
yeah mpg drops but i see in your sig you have a revo re-mapp. that should stabilise the mpg really. depends how you are driving thou.put me in your car i bet you i'd hit 60mpg

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow, didnt figure that when I bought them, I have a noticable loss of acceleration and easy 10mpg lost!

back to the stock wheels for me i think

anyone want some new RS4's at a discount price?!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dont think so mate, I used to top 60 mpg with the stock wheels but I was driving slow enough tonight on my way home and scraped to a 46.5 mpg!!!! I could top 55 but the 60 days are gone I think!

And the Revo doesnt help matters, to tempting to plant the boot!!!

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
In town the max ive seen in my tuned 90bhp beast [:p] is 53mpg and i was really feathering the accelerator pedal and letting the car roll to a stop etc.. but that lasted about 5 mins before i dropped in 2nd and booted it to the redline still achieveing 45mpg [:D] so i don't mind the 20 miles i loose every tenner i stick in as long as i enjoy my drive lol..

Sat

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The loss of MPG is a shame but not the real problem.

The acceleration is definately slower, thats the real kick in the stones for me.

Just spent £480 on a Revo re-map, now with these wheels I'm back where I started, well not quite but its definatly a step in the wrong direction.

My RS4's are 2 days old and will be on ebay by the weekend. Back to stock for me.

Might get hold of some 16" GTI wheels, something different, a bit bigger but light weight.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
if your getting over 40mpg then for a 185bhp car thats brilliant. think what a 185bhp petrol would get 25? maybe less

are they rs4 reps?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes they are replicas.

My car always used to get 50-55mpg 60 sometimes (when I'm not battering it) so 40 - 45mpg is poor by its standards. It does use a bit more round town since the Revo but for power/economy value its top notch!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
imo what i would do is sell your reps if the mpg and perfomance drop is getting to you. then save up some cash for a while a get a very nice set of lightweight alloys. because im sure you will want somthing other than standard vw rims on your car.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Trying to sell them at the moment. Bargain at £450 if you know who might want them.

Was going to go for some standard GTI 16's or maybe some polished TT 17's. Something that looks good, not to big but can carry a decent sport tyre.

Got carried away with looks when I bought the rims, they do look fantastic on the car but my prioreties lie in performance!

·
Registered
339 Posts
How have you managed to get 185bhp when the revo site only states 170bhp tops so realistically its probably 160-165bhp?

I don't think my revo'd PD150 is 185bhp.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Trying to sell them at the moment. Bargain at £450 if you know who might want them.

Was going to go for some standard GTI 16's or maybe some polished TT 17's. Something that looks good, not to big but can carry a decent sport tyre.

Got carried away with looks when I bought the rims, they do look fantastic on the car but my prioreties lie in performance!
my bros tt comps weighed more than his gti 16" wheels so id be looking at a lightweight 17" rim or a 18" rim but 18" rims tend to cost more.

Sat [y]

·
Registered
288 Posts
How have you managed to get 185bhp when the revo site only states 170bhp tops so realistically its probably 160-165bhp?

I don't think my revo'd PD150 is 185bhp.
Have you had your PD 150 dyno'd?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have it checked, you will be surprised.

Bloke who Revo'd mine has a Fabia (same pd130 as mine)

His has tested at 185bhp 310 ftlb torque with the same Revo software as mine, no other mods.

The stats on the Revo site are a conservative estimate, for those who have shagged engines.

If your motor is tip top your more likely to have more that the minimum power boos they say you will have.

If you dont believe me them talk to these boys, they know whet they are doing: www.ads-global.co.uk

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Have it checked, you will be surprised.

Bloke who Revo'd mine has a Fabia (same pd130 as mine)

His has tested at 185bhp 310 ftlb torque with the same Revo software as mine, no other mods.

The stats on the Revo site are a conservative estimate, for those who have shagged engines.

If your motor is tip top your more likely to have more that the minimum power boos they say you will have.

If you dont believe me them talk to these boys, they know whet they are doing: www.ads-global.co.uk
Realistically you want to measuring the power at wheels not at the flywheel as i presume as thats how you came up with your 185bhp not trying to wee wee on your car but most dynos over compinsate on the power at the fly.. but i do agree that your 185 at the fly is normal for a 130tdi mapped.. because a pd100 is good for 150 with just a map iirc.

Sat

·
Registered
339 Posts
Funnily enough I got ADS to Revo my car. Got to admit they do a good job.  They also fitted my Milltek exhaust so credit to Dave & his dad - they do a thorough job.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts