Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I'm very interested to see how much MPG you all lost when upgrading from your standard VW factory fitted wheels to your 18"+ Alloy wheels? I know personally I've lost about 10MPG and lost acceleration power, comfortable cruising speed, and gained a slightly less comfortable ride on bumpy roads. I know I'm driving a 1.4, but it used to be really fast and quick off the mark with a great average MPG. Is this the price you pay for good looking wheels???<o:p></o:p>

I would especially like to here from TDI drivers as you get a great MPG and I?ve heard it doesn?t affect you that much.<o:p></o:p>

As you properly guessed, i hate wasting petrol/money. :)<o:p></o:p>

Cheers<o:p></o:p>

Dan<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I have a Golf Anniversary with factory fitted 18" BBS RC's and still regularly get 50+ MPG.

Apparently, the RC is one of the lightest alloy wheels?

I fitted RS4 replicas on my old Golf and lost about 2-3 MPG on my daily drive into work. These weighed an absolute tonne though!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Hi,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I'm very interested to see how much MPG you all lost when upgrading from your standard VW factory fitted wheels to your 18"+ Alloy wheels?
This is difficult to accurately measure. When I upgraded from factory steel wheels to 7.5x17 wheels I found I could push the car much harder and corner at what I previously would have considered silly speeds, but, with total confidence. So my MPG went downhill drastically as a result of that alone.

Apart from that, yes, bigger and wider wheels have more mass and rolling resistance, so fuel consumption will go up noticeably.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi,

I agree with Shiuming. the handling is way better than factory standard wheel (mine had 16" alloys) this is because the wheel is wider. and my MPG dropped by at least 5-8mpg on daily driving.

I would like to get a pair of light weight alloys 17"+ with a tyre width of at least 205 and see how much difference in MPG that makes as my current alloys are heavy in weight.

I got Avon 225/18/40 on mine currently with deep dish star design

·
Registered
137 Posts
i did'nt even look at the dates, just noticed it :) was thinking of putting light weight alloys to help with more mpg and came accross this.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I don't think putting lighter alloys on you TDI will make a huge difference to the MPG, you have to spend extra to start with on the light weight alloys and for the additional MPG that you may get is not worth it IMO. If you like the rims that you have keep them? What MPG does your TDI 115 return? Must be high 40's at least?

·
Registered
952 Posts
I was happly getting around 56mpg on the Avus 2 15's until i swapped to Santa Monica reps which i lost 3-4 mpg on an average tank. Im on Montreal 2's now with full tread depth and getting very similar to i was with the Avus 2 at 54mpg on average. Does all depend on if i have been using her on the motorway or town driving.

on average tho im 50mpg all day long which is good to know [:D]

·
Registered
137 Posts
I dont get much Mpg high 40 i wish.

full tank i get 380miles-420miles. and i get on average on london driving 32- 38mpg and on motorway about 44mpg-47mpg with remap max.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
That sounds low to me, why don't you have the car scanned with vag com to see if there any faults with the maf or possibly coolant temp sensor, these can cause low MPG.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi,

I have a a diagnostic done a VW biggest waste of money did't tell me anything i did'nt know already.

i just put it down to remap, alloys, sportscat

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
i actually gained some with 16's i got 32 and with 18s i got 37.5 last time.. but it went through a service the same week so i have a feeling what they did changed the mpg not chaning to 18's lol

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
i put alloys on day after fetched the car so not sure if any difference but i only get around 43mpg mark being nice ive already changed maf and cleaned inlet, turbo, intercooler pipes even worked it out manually as thought it may be comp fault but there just crap on diesel thinkin of gettin bigger air intake manifold and injectors apparently this makes the difference although i dont do many miles tbh i just wanted the torque as im lazy with the gears and compared to 20mpg in my bmw its heavenly

1 - 17 of 17 Posts