Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the average / best people are getting? Im filling the tank every weekend, and probably doing 180ish miles. Does that sound good or bad?

ta

d

·
Registered
371 Posts
Depends how you drive it, if i drive it hard i see the mpg drop quite a lot.

On good long runs and not thrashing it i can get 400 miles out of a tank!

·
Registered
29 Posts
i normally get about 250 miles from a tank.

Always try not to thrash it as soon as its filled, but the right foot usually gets heavier after about 50 miles or so....

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was getting low 200 miles per tank, but then I cleaned the air temperature sensor. It was covered in an oily residue. Cleaned it with Isopropyl Alchohol and it's made a big difference, now getting about 250 doing mostly town driving.[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Quote: posted by dcvh007 on 16/12/2004 13:29:37

Whats the average / best people are getting? Im filling the tank every weekend, and probably doing 180ish miles. Does that sound good or bad?

ta

d

IMHO this is very bad! Check out your MAF the R32's are getting more than you !

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So it looks like I might need a new MAF? Where is the best place to get one fo these? Ive done a search and some people are talking about a dealer swap scheme? How does that work? and once i get it, is it easy to fit? Do I also need to disconnect the battery to reset the ECU?

ta

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My average MPGs are as follows...

urban / rond town driving - 21.3mpg

motorway driving - 31.1mpg

I haven't been botting it at all and been driving like Im 'drivin miss daisy! Went to the stealers and they said if it was accelerating alright the MAF would be ok, but that it could be the fuel filter? Thy very nicely offered to take it in and do a fuel diagnostic on it for ?140! I said I'd have a think about it!!!

Do these figures seem low, and should I be worried / looking at chaingin my MAF?

thanks

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Quote: posted by dcvh007 on 17/12/2004 13:29:22

My average MPGs are as follows...

urban / rond town driving - 21.3mpg

motorway driving - 31.1mpg

I haven't been botting it at all and been driving like Im 'drivin miss daisy! Went to the stealers and they said if it was accelerating alright the MAF would be ok, but that it could be the fuel filter? Thy very nicely offered to take it in and do a fuel diagnostic on it for ?140! I said I'd have a think about it!!!

Do these figures seem low, and should I be worried / looking at chaingin my MAF?

thanks

It's about a 5 minute job to change your maf, you may be best to clean it first as one of the other guys said.

the motorway one doesn't sound to bad but the round town one is low to me.[:p]

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Motorways/driving Miss Daisy- 40mpg / 400 miles

Good day - 33 mpg /350-370 miles

Bad day - 28 mpg / 300 miles

Fun day - 23 mpg [:D]

·
Registered
637 Posts
Shell Optimax gets me about 310-350 miles depending on type of driving and I don't thrash it too much as then it would be about 250...lol

C

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So by the sounds of it my MPGs are really funked!?! I've just been out tootling round town for about an hour [never went over 40mph / 3500 revs, so very calm driving] and my MPG was reading 19.6

Is this a sign something is up?

If I do need to clean the MAF, how do I go about this? Anyone got any pics?

thanks for this

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm getting an easy 35 mpg driving around taking it nice and easy and using the power when I need it. Climatronic affects it a lot though try on ECON mode more.

Cheers

·
Registered
280 Posts
I also get an easy 36mpg average ,the best ive seen on the 15 mile trip to work is 43.6 and i get about 220 miles per ?25 of petrol.I used to get an average of 29mpg from my vr6.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so it seems the figure to aim for is 35mpg. Any ideas how I can get close to this? Is there a way of checking if my MAF needs changing [disconnecting?]

d

1 - 20 of 22 Posts