Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 115pd and my mpg is low. I stuggle to get into the 50,s and even if I drive on the motorway at 75mph its difficult to get my mpg over the very low 50's.......

Now this to me suggests I have a problem with my maf?

But I dont have any flat spots and the performance doesnt seem bad to me.....

Is it just my driving style or do you guys think I need a new maf? Or any other suggestions?

Cheers

Sam

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry what sounds about right? And also if I give it abit of welly the mpg soon drops down to very low thiries around town?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Your mpg sounds about right. If your wellying it around town, that is the mpg you will get. If I welly my 1.8T around town it will drop to around 23mpg, but will sit happily at 34mpg on the motorway.

What I'm saying is, you aint gonna get much better than what your geting, at least in my mind.

·
Registered
94 Posts
if I drive on the motorway at 75mph
Think thats the problem mate, try going bit quicker you girl!! My 115 seems to get better mpg at around 85 - strange but true. I averaged 56mpg from Camberley to Torquay other day down the a303 and that includes booting it hard out of all the roundabouts. Could be your MAF, I've got a brand new one on.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yeah thats similar to me around 60 im getting 55+, seems to drop at 70ish but does pick up around 90 for some reason. Around town im getting 40's.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Doesn't sound too far out - a 20mi run at 70 should see you 50-53 or so [:)]

Any flat spots in acceleration when you floor it at all (ie do you get power and then it just fade from abotu 2.8-3k??)

C

EDIT: My old car was a mk4 GTTDI 115 btw!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if I drive on the motorway at 75mph
Think thats the problem mate, try going bit quicker you girl!! My 115 seems to get better mpg at around 85 - strange but true. I averaged 56mpg from Camberley to Torquay other day down the a303 and that includes booting it hard out of all the roundabouts. Could be your MAF, I've got a brand new one on.
I do normally, usually around 90-95, but then my fuel consumption drops to about 45.......... hence I tried a slower run as a comparison......

Ill have to try a 85mpg run and see what that does, to be honest I think I am a little heavy footed, when driving my dads saab aero I normally average around 18mpg......

There dont seem to be and flat spots in acceleration, it pulls cleanly to about 3800......

·
Registered
453 Posts
Think that mpg is about right, i only live 7 miles away from work and thats town driving, stop start ect and over the winter i have been getting 36-42 mpg. When i went down to swansea the other week i found it better to drive around 80-85 to get better mpg. So i think your mpg figure is about right.

Also i find in the warmer weather you get a bit better mpg. Has any one else found this??

·
Registered
176 Posts
I also seem to be getting low mpg on my tdi.

40quid gave me just about 400 miles.. works out to about 40mpg.. i did a bit of mway in that driving aswell. does it sounds right? (Tdi 90)

·
Registered
646 Posts
I never get less than 40 mpg average reading around town and hard blasts now and again......but on motorway runs my average on the dash reads 48-49 mpg havent seen 50 yet but im working on it! lol

I get about 450-500 miles to a tank standard pd 150's are probably a bit better but im very happy with that

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
When I had my TDI 130 I would get 46-50mpg driving in a consistent steady manner (no harsh acceleration/motorway/urban type drving) but when I opened it up and drove it hard I never really manage to get it below 40

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You see thats exactly the same as me, my long term average on the computer is appaling, its 40 something. Now thats not desiel milage, it wont save me any money having a diesel with that mpg!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts