Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right, when i first got my car filled it up with diesel, and got 450 miles out of a full tank, filled it up at the start of this month, full tank, and ive only got 200 so far to half a tank. what should i be checking to see why im not getting very good fuel consumption compared to others.

also, my clocks dont have the MPG feature, if i wanted it, how would i get it?

·
Diesel isn't a dirty word
11,031 Posts
There are loads of variables to consider when comparing MPG, I have a screen shot of 72mpg but there is no way that this is an everyday occurrence.

What type of journeys do you predominantly do? short, town, motorway, mixed?

Also the current cold temps have an effect on the economy as the car doesn't warm up as quickly so will use more fuel.

A fault scan is a good place to start but will not always show the problem (if there is one) it could be a faulty temp sensor or MAF, does the car get up to temp OK?

Also help us out by telling us what car you have? as 400 miles to a tank on an R32 is different to a TDi

The only way of getting the functionality on the clocks would be to swap them, see the FAQ in my sig

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are loads of variables to consider when comparing MPG, I have a screen shot of 72mpg but there is no way that this is an everyday occurrence.

What type of journeys do you predominantly do? short, town, motorway, mixed? I normally do town/motorway. Usually more motorway than anything else though. My journeys are rarely longer than 30 mins though, so although its on the motorway, its not for that long.

Also the current cold temps have an effect on the economy as the car doesn't warm up as quickly so will use more fuel.

A fault scan is a good place to start but will not always show the problem (if there is one) it could be a faulty temp sensor or MAF, does the car get up to temp OK? The car does normally get up to temp. But usually takes around about 5 mins. The car is a 2000 plate.

Also help us out by telling us what car you have? as 400 miles to a tank on an R32 is different to a TDi. I have a TDI mate, 2000 reg, thinks its 100bhp

The only way of getting the functionality on the clocks would be to swap them, see the FAQ in my sig
cheers for that mate ill have a check now

1 - 5 of 5 Posts