Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Mountain Bikes sizes ??

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  nosaj 
#1 ·
Ok my bike is in need of replacing and ive seen a few on ebay

I wana make sure i get the same size as what i have but i dont know what size the frame is ........

Is there a position on the frame where its measure from to tell the size ????

i know it has 26 inch wheels and that about all i know on the size lol

Anyone shed some light for me [:D]

#3 ·
as far as im concerned all mountain bikes have a 26" rim. Answer to your question is to get the right frame measurement you would normal measure from the centre of the crank to the top of the frame where the seat tube fits, i.e. the ST measurement on the image below. Some manufactures do vary where they measure from so its not a 100% definate.

Posted Image

Hope that helps.... [y]

#8 ·
Ive just got a new bike!

Im 6ft (maybe 6ft1)

I have gone for a 19" 07 Rockhopper Disc, probably would have been fine on a 21" but I want to be able to throw it about more!

Whatever you get, I would recommend test riding, as you would be amazed how different they can be!

#10 ·
Really depends on what your using the bike for, if your gonna be using it for a bit of offroading and generally throwing it about over a few jumps then the 18" will probably be best, but if your just gonna be riding to work and back & so on then the 20" will probably be a better ride as your 6ft 2in, either of them sizes will be fine, probably best if you go down to your local cycle shop and have a go on a few different ones to see what you like, then just go back home and buy it off the internet for cheaper! [;)]

#11 ·
Or get down your local cycle centre (if there is one) as they will probably be ordering the 2007 bikes now for hire and be selling the ex hire bikes at around half price.

At the forest of dean the sell them after they have been hired 50 times. They also put new brakes, chain, tyres etc on them and come fully serviced.

#12 ·
Really depends on what your using the bike for, if your gonna be using it for a bit of offroading and generally throwing it about over a few jumps then the 18" will probably be best, but if your just gonna be riding to work and back & so on then the 20" will probably be a better ride as your 6ft 2in, either of them sizes will be fine, probably best if you go down to your local cycle shop and have a go on a few different ones to see what you like, then just go back home and buy it off the internet for cheaper! [;)]
This is what i planned on doing but found that once you added the delivery charge there was only a tenner difference on the net so i just got mine from the shop that i tried it in. They where really helpfull and gave me £15 set of lights and a free service in 6months time.

#15 ·
if that clicky is a link to the bike you are buying then i would say STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for the money it is a bag o shite!!! do not buy it.

if you are spending that much money on a bike the n look around for a decent one!!!

if you need help then i will suggest a few bikes in that price bracket that would be suited to your style/type of riding.

please p.m me for any help

cheers

steve

#16 ·
I will second that don't buy that it ain't good and that rrp is a joke! If you want something like that go to halfrauds and get one of there £99 specials

it will be the same quality! Look on ebay you will get a good quality second hand for a few hundred for a couple a hundred. that bike will weigh a tone aswell and the weight makes a difference believe me i got a 10.15 kg full suzer it makes my stumpjumper feel like a tank but it all depends on what you want or need

my 2p worth

lee

#17 ·
I would ....third that, that bike doesnt look good at all and for that price you can get a lot better bike, 2nd hand bikes are worth a look as they dont sell for a lot, because people always go for these cheapy ones but most peole have upgraded the spec on them, rear mech etc.so your getting a lot better bike for the cash.

i am 6' and i ride a 9" frame, (i ride trials) so i guess im not a big help on the sizing question,lol

joN

#20 ·
ok maybe i should of pointed out , the bike im after is only for traveling to and from the station about 2 miles each way and sometimes if i wana go through the forest for a bit of fun ,

i am not a cyclist anymore , as ive been there before with the racing bikes and won a fair few races

i dont intend spending a fortune on a bike as ive done this in the past bought the top bikes for £500 +, even paid £1200 for one

and only to have them stolen from my shed , garage , so its a runner bike , and sometimes a bit of pleasure [:D]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.