Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it looks like they are getting further with this one. Just a few extracts I picked up on from the BBC and AOL news sites. What's peoples thoughts on this, especially the environmental groups who said all the money raised should NOT be put back into the roads and that cycle lanes were more a priority!

Of course, the old 'it's for our safety' nutshell is being cracked open again!! Saying that if the roads are congested, were more likely to crash. Well, really, you think so?! At the same time, saying any money raised should NOT be put back into the roads.... Wow, now thats making it loads safer.

Seems instead of making the roads better / safer they charge us. Just like safety cameras, doesnt make the road any safer, but they get to charge us.

The box is also likely to cost the motorist ?200 a box. Why us? Why do we have to pay!?

Motorists should be asked to pay to drive on the nation's road network, a report commissioned by the government has recommended.

Former British Airways chief Sir Rod Eddington has examined options for modernising the UK transport network.

He has reported that road tolls could bring ?28bn a year of benefits to bus and rail users.

Grand projects like high-speed rail links were less important than using existing networks better, he said.

Smaller projects, including an expansion of the UK cycle network, received string backing.

Motoring groups broadly welcomed the report and environmental groups said any money raised from charging motorists to use roads should not be used to fund more road schemes

---

The Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) said the report was in danger of overlooking the simple reality that road congestion is often caused by crashes - 90% of which are avoidable.

An IAM spokesman went on: "We broadly welcome this report as congestion is costly, not only in environmental terms but it has a major negative effect on road safety. Extended, unpredictable journey times do nothing to encourage responsible road use.

"Longer journeys cause driver fatigue, and tired drivers are more likely to crash - so it's a horrible, vicious circle. Around one in five motorway crashes is a result of driver fatigue."

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldnt worry to much mate, gimme a week with one and il work out how to trick the little git into thinkin im at home lol.
And you'll end up with a fine on your doormat! And most likely, a new code on your licence with some prize points!

Why doesnt the goverment just take all our wages, and then drip feed us pocket money? Surely that would work better?!

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
So what your saying is thi sblack box is gona be like an electric meter, pay as you go type thing ?

If so hows that going to stop you crashing ???

Less cars means less fuel duty, less road tax, less new cars, less servicing, or in other words, less money being spent.

More & more I think that being unemployed is the future,

I work bloody hard & commute a 70mile round trip every week day,plus my weekend driving, costs me +/- ?45 in derv a week, so I'm dammed if I'm gona pay even more ???.

Fair enough if fuel is free & I payed 10p a mile, but I know it wont be, it'll be more like 50p a litre & 30p a mile, which cost ?21 A DAY, thats ?130 a week with fuel MINIMUM !!!!!!!!!!!

WE'VE GOT TO GET THIS GOVERMENT OUT !!!!!!!!!!1

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
More shite, more tax blah blah blah

When they say crime doesn't pay, it is actually beginning to get to the point where it's cheaper to go untaxed, MOTd and uninsured in a car not registered to you and take the risk than actually doing it all legit. And guess what, people are doing it that way now.

Another round of applause to the goons in suits. They are sucking our money to fund themselves to sit at tables all day for years on end to come up with this dribble. Its getting laughable.

Am I the only one that can see that this country is slowly being killed?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jace, there have been no plans set out with this scheme to reduce tax on fuel. They would get rid of your tax disc though.

Also, think your overlooking it. It will be priced per mile based on GPS and a black box in your car. You will get a bill from the government either every month, quarter or year.

Prices can be up to as much as ?1.25 PER MILE on the busy roads, so thats most cities.

There will be on peak and off peak. Travel during the on peak on the busy roads, which is of course when people are going to and home from work, and the roads that happen to be busy are those which people use, and you will be charged more than if you were to use them at 3am in the morning.

I think the M4 was 90p per mile after a certain junction going into London at 7am in the morning until 10am.

This figures are obviously not set in stone, but the ones they were proposing last time I heard on the news about it.

All the money will be plowed into the public transport system....they say, but then they also say in the same sentence that high speed trains are not a priority. So, what they gonna do?! Use the money to buy tonnes of fabreze and spray the existing train carriages?!

·
Registered
728 Posts
The BBC did a study and a Woman taking her kids on a short journey to school each day cost her ?84 a month. Plus Fuel of course. The Tax Disc only costing approx ?13 month. A Florist was paying ?246 a month and said if it comes in he would be forced to close in 1 week.

Seriously if this comes in i am out of this country and it can be run by all the immigrants for all i care. there is only;y so much tax etc you can oay......

·
Registered
414 Posts
Perhaps we could all refuse to have it installed!! Lets see whether they take us all to court! Then if motorists can get out of Gatso fines under privacy laws perhaps we would come out of this one on top too . . . .

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perhaps we could all refuse to have it installed!! Lets see whether they take us all to court! Then if motorists can get out of Gatso fines under privacy laws perhaps we would come out of this one on top too . . . .
The trouble with this is, 90% of the population will go with the flow. This has been indicated with only 6500 signatures on the petition that's floating around most forums.

Therefore, you can refuse, but then your playing into their hands, another fine. Would need the population en masse to do this kind of thing. That just isn't going to happen.Government can do what they like in the country and they know were not going to stand up to it, only a handful of the population are willing to do so, and for them, that just means more revenue.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
What if your here on holiday, driven over from Europe or a european lorry driver, how they gona keep tabs on you then ??

·
Registered
495 Posts
I commute in using two of the most congested routes in the coutnry, M1>M25 so my bill will probably be ?20..30..40?? a day. Clearly that is insane, there must be some sort of charge cap because if I had to pay ?40 a day I would have to quit my job. And no, there is no other viable other way into work.. I would need to take 3 trains with a total journey time of 2 hours for what is a 29 mile commute.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
WE'VE GOT TO GET THIS GOVERMENT OUT !!!!!!!!!!1
Ditto
And don't you think the Green party, sorry the Tories would push this through as well? It'll be great if Labour do go and the other lot get in, no huge tax bills but no facilities to use as nothing to pay for them with.

The road charging idea is a bad one, if you overcharge for peak time motorway use then it'll just force people to use back routes on country roads through villages and towns. Thus causing more pollution from stop start motoring and higher pedestrian injuries/fatilaties. I really don't think that advisors/project leaders really think these things through properly.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
[:mad:][:mad:][:mad:]

I was going to post this up myself, but then thought that there isn't a week when we do not have a discussion on how we are being screwed by the Government and how motorists are a soft target.. so I didn't.. However I wish I had because I have just been sat here thinking about it and its making my Blood boil. I love England well the UK for that fact .. I don't really want to leave, but this slippery slope to oblivion just seems to be getting steeper and steeper.

Charging people for using the roads will not stop people using them, which i'm sure that they know, look at our road network, we already pay road tax to use roads that are complete and utter toss yet we are going to have to pay more and more just to get somewhere.. I can't believe it, it really makes my blood boil, so much so that I can't rationalise my argument properly... Infact i want to burn down the Houses of Parliment with all those dithering idiots still in it. Congestion is a problem because of poor planning and a crumbling infrastructure.... Britians road network has been and still is cack, it has been for many years, Toll roads work well in other countries because they have been properly invested in, French Toll roads are brilliant, but I would love to see the french Government try and impose a permenant fee for driving.. lol They would burn down the whole of Paris without a doubt!

We all take the Pi$$ out of the French, but maybe we should be more like them and start fighting for what we believe in and more importantly for how we want our country to be ran, yes we need to pay tax for benefits like the NHS, but we should not be bled to death for it.. If I thought that it would be properly supported I would be up for a revolt, but at the end of the day it's not the British way... as a nation we are like a knackered old Guard dog, Lazy, long in the tooth, and willing to be walked all over.. we once had a powerful bite and were feared and stood up for what we believed in..... bring back the glory days... ! (although thats not going to happen is it)

·
Registered
337 Posts
What if your here on holiday, driven over from Europe or a european lorry driver, how they gona keep tabs on you then ??
They won't, imagine the blockades from the french on our ports if we said we are going to charge them all to use our roads by the mile. I bet there is probably some human rights EU law too do with privacy or something which conveniently we won't have signed up to.

Chris

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
It is a load of absolute tosh and just tippifies the way this government thinks:

Theres a problem with the NHS - throw money at it!

Theres a problem with crime - throw money at it!

Theres a problem with the roads - throw money at it!

I am absolutely sick to death of the amount of tax we pay in the is country and to propose adding what is essentially another tax is dispicable. I heard that VAT is to go up to 19% soon too. We pay in collective tax the highest proportion of our wages than practically anywhere else in Europe but this country is rapidly turning into a rancid cesspit.

This wouldnt be so bad if, as posted above, they abolished road tax and reduced fuel duty down to sensible levels (or at least in line with the rest of Europe) but they wont. It'll just be another source of revenue for the government. Working out my own example, I travel 60 miles a day to commute to work at peak times on motorways. This means that it would cost roughly ?30 in road charges, ?10 in diesel and ?6 toll bridge charge. This represents roughly 60% of what I earn each day after nationa insurance and tax! And I'm sorry but I'll be buggered if Im working for 40% which will then probably be taken off me in other forms of tax!

So this means that I would either have to move to an inner city area (wa-hay! house prices will rocket again as everyone is forced to do the same) or simply not work.

This government has absolutely no idea and has had its time - I pray God for a credible alternative because there is no way on earth Im voting labour!. Tony Blairs legacy must be that of the prime minister who has had the longest term in office, perhaps the largest revenues to spend with absolutely sod all to show for it all other than a screwed up war in the name of 'freedom and democracy'.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
And thinking about it, how can this not infringe on our human rights? By fitting a tracking device to our vehicles the government will effectively be able to track your location 24/7.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
We have human rights??? What planet are you on [:p]

They obviously havent thoughts of the impact such a move would have on businesses, and all the in turn knock on effects have they...

Are they really that stupid that they cant see the blatently obvious

STOP WASTING MONEY, THEN YOU DONT NEED TO MAKE THAT MONEY UP!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is a load of absolute tosh and just tippifies the way this government thinks:

Theres a problem with the NHS - throw money at it!

Theres a problem with crime - throw money at it!

Theres a problem with the roads - throw money at it!

I am absolutely sick to death of the amount of tax we pay in the is country and to propose adding what is essentially another tax is dispicable. I heard that VAT is to go up to 19% soon too. We pay in collective tax the highest proportion of our wages than practically anywhere else in Europe but this country is rapidly turning into a rancid cesspit.

This wouldnt be so bad if, as posted above, they abolished road tax and reduced fuel duty down to sensible levels (or at least in line with the rest of Europe) but they wont. It'll just be another source of revenue for the government. Working out my own example, I travel 60 miles a day to commute to work at peak times on motorways. This means that it would cost roughly ?30 in road charges, ?10 in diesel and ?6 toll bridge charge. This represents roughly 60% of what I earn each day after nationa insurance and tax! And I'm sorry but I'll be buggered if Im working for 40% which will then probably be taken off me in other forms of tax!

So this means that I would either have to move to an inner city area (wa-hay! house prices will rocket again as everyone is forced to do the same) or simply not work.

This government has absolutely no idea and has had its time - I pray God for a credible alternative because there is no way on earth Im voting labour!. Tony Blairs legacy must be that of the prime minister who has had the longest term in office, perhaps the largest revenues to spend with absolutely sod all to show for it all other than a screwed up war in the name of 'freedom and democracy'.
The tax disc will be abolished under this scheme, there will be no need for it, probably a need to display a disc with the number of the box though or something similar that you have installed.

Yes people are right about how much it will cost them, look at the example posted above by diesel4. All she was doing was taking her kids to school, cost her ?84 that month under the road pricing scheme.

I will try and find how much it will cost per mile.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts