Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi guys,

A few weeks ago I decided to get a Mk4 Golf and came across this one. It's 10 years old, 59000 miles and in fantastic condition. Bought it the same day and haven't looked back. I've got a mod list as long as my arm now and one of them (probably the biggest) has already been started as I'm sure some of you know.

That's the start of fitting a Mk6 reversing camera to my Mk4. Unfortunately the project is coming to a screaming stop as I have a house move coming up and work is getting busy so it'll probably be some time before I can finish it off (also out of money!!). In the next few weeks though I'm having my new 225/40/18s fitted, the mudflaps are going and it's being lowered courtesy of Awesome GTI.

More to come! [ :D]

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
glad we had the pleasure of doing this mod, looks so factory- i bet if you didnt mention it no one would know
Doh! Should have kept quiet!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well this car was written off in an accident over a month ago now. a girl broadsided me at a t-junction, all of it her fault. Once she stopped crying I got out of her that she's 17, very stressed out with AS-Levels, just started driving and Daddy just bought me this car (which happened to be a brand new mini!!!). [:mad:]

Apart from the usual impact damage she had managed to break the rear axle. Insurance companies weren't interested after that. Worst bit, when the car ended up at the scrappers they said they would hold it for me to get the bits back I wanted. Especially the boot. Found out this morning that left hand wasn't speaking to right hand, and the car is gone. [brick]

So we start again. I've now got a 2003 PD150. It's already been at Jake's Panel Care in Rochdale, fitting the R-Line body kit and headlamp washer system I'd had planned for the last one. As usual he's done a cracking job. Will upload some photos soon as I can.

·
London Refurbs'
5,615 Posts
That sucks mate! Hope they paid out and everything went smoothly for you. Atleast your ok though.

Peter

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, it's the new year and here we are! I've continued from my barely started build thread as my ideas are the same and for all intents and purposes so is the car.....it's just a PD150 now!! [:D]

First of all the thanks yous (and this list will continue to grow as this project goes on)

Jake at Panelcare

Awesome GTI

The guys at Autotrim

Kufatek

vw_teeside of ebay

aRd

Imagewerx

Graeme86

F_X

vwdubster77

The guys in my local dealer's parts department

And everyone who's written the DIYs I've used - thanks very much guys!

Second of all, if I've copied anyone I'm very sorry, let me know and I'll add you to the 'thank you' list.

So continuing from where the story left off, I bought this innocent looking PD150 back in July. It was just your standard 5 door, black GT TDI, 70000 miles, walnut trim, with a rough idle and a slight lack of power! Drove it to Jake's, got the R-Line bodykit and plumbing for the headlamp washer system fitted and then proceeded to repair and replace the slightly dodgy/worn bits on it. It's been a bit painful but I've almost got to the bottom of my list. The two big things this year have been the water leaks (guess where they were) and on my way home a couple months ago the infamous camshaft went. I knew it was going to go, but I was hoping I'd have more time to get the cash together to do the cam/DMF/clutch at the same time. Oh well!

As far as mods go, the list so far is:

Custom fuse card (as I've added a few 'custom' circuits and the backwards fuse card was annoying the he!! out of me!)

R-Line Body Kit

R32 Alloys (refurbed locally) sitting on 15mm H and R hub-centric spacers on the back on 8mm on the front (so total of 30 and 16, and the tyres are 225/45/18, so there's a great fat look at the back! The wheel nuts themselves have the new VW nut caps on them (see photo). They look great.

Brake callipers painted up in red (of course). But I painted the hub, top edge of the disc and the brake shields black. As a final touch, I got the R-Line logo off the net and long story short, painted that in silver on the front brake callipers.

Shark Fin Aerial (reception is crap....good thing I don't really listen to the radio! [facepalm])

Headlamp washer as well as heated washer jets. While I was there I fitted a loom for the Bora R-Line spotlights I'll be fitting at some point (more on that later).

Rear fog lights on both sides, then I replaced all bulbs with various Phillips for the rear, LEDs for the rear number plate, Osram Night Breaker Plus for the dipped, beam and fog and chrome bulbs for the indicators (really does get rid of that fried egg look!). Phillips BlueVision had to be used again for the side lights. Had them on a previous car and they are the business.

While a lot of the outside work was going on, the water leak started, which led to a complete stripping of the interior. Turned out to be three doors, the plenum chamber, pollen filter and believe it or not, under the weather seal of the rear left door! Many tubes of silicone sealant later I am proud to say my car is water tight again. While the interior was stripped out I thought it was a brilliant time to be completely unoriginal and add Bora vents and the W8 dome light. Continuing with the winter proofing I installed the heated seats loom and a demister switch from one of the VW vehicles (got the idea from Graeme86). Fitting/plug is exactly the same, the big difference is this switch runs on a timer. So after 10 mins it automatically switches off the heating elements.

My carpet/underlay is back in and my Christmas present to myself was a set of Recaros, re-trimmed in leather with white stitching to match the R-Line gear gaitor I bought. While being re-trimmed they were fitted with the pads for the heated seat system. These seats are just the best thing I've ever sat on. If you haven't got a set, get on ebay and find some!

(excuse some of the circular marks, they're brand new and haven't worn in yet)

While fixing the water leaks, I decided now was the time to get to work on the door cards themselves, in particular the driver's card. I managed to find a Passat mirror switch with red LEDs and a door handle trim to go with it, but the trim needed painting to match the car. It didn't come out to bad even if I do say so myself. While there I started fitting red LEDs to provide a bit of handle back lighting. Again, I wasn't sure how it would look once done but really pleasantly surprised. I'm sure everyone knows how hard it is to get a good shot of their car at night. I will get some photos up, bare with me.

Leading on from my complete re-trim, I've got my hands on a US spec centre console (with the EXTRA-large drinks holders). Not fitted yet as I'm waiting for a few more bits and I have some work on the centre dashboard (including getting rid of all that walnut trim) before I can fit it. I was wondering where the Americans put the fuel cap release button (as this console hasn't got a hole for it) I went searching and found they have a little two button console in the driver's door. Further investigation found our B5 Passats have the same little console, but with the added bonus of being on the correct side of the car! [:D]

Bit of a search and I found a complete Pasat door card, and proceeded grafting the door card 'pocket' with said console onto my door card. This was actually quite tricky as the Passat's 'pocket' is smaller than the Golf's, but not by much. It'll cover the hole in the door card completely, but the edges needed warping with a heat gun to get it to fit properly. Lots of glue (no more nails is amazing!) and once dry it was absolutely solid. Then to tidy it up, I used black silicone sealant to cover the white glue-resin and fill a couple of small gaps I couldn't quite get the plastic to fill. To finish off the console, I removed the locking barrel that came with it (no idea what it was for), painted the whole thing in the same black satin used on the door handles and fitted it. It's such a subtle mod I have to point it out to people - brilliant!

To finish it off, the switches that came with the Passat door card looked knackered, so I bought some MK5 look a-likes off Chinese ebay. Same switches but with a chrome edge. Once they arrived I swapped the covers but kept the German electronics. The boot switch and the third switch that replaced the locking barrel will be part of a mod I have planned for this summer.......cash permitting!

(sorry for the rubbish photo, looks better in real life)

The hardest bit about that mod was separating the wires for the fuel filler cap release from the loom. It was just slow, very awkward work. Once free, it took all of two seconds to make a new loom of them, run them through the driver's door and wire them into the plug/repair wires bought for that new fuel switch.

While still on the door cards, I noticed the Passat puddle light is a unit like our boot light but mounted on the bottom edge of the door card. Thinking to myself why not, I ran some extra wires in parallel from the existing puddle light and plugged this extra light in. Verdict - absolutely pointless! The light out of them is about as useful as chocolate tea cosy! Once again ebay to the rescue and I got some plug and play LED replacements. Verdict - I'll let you know when I can see again! Haha

I'm going to do this mod for the rear doors as well, but I'll wait for the summer for that I think.

Finally, for now, I fitted a 12V socket in the boot as mine being one of the newer Mk4s didn't have it. I was a bit concerned when I found that both sockets are permanently live. When I switch the car off I want nothing running the battery down except the alarm. So after some serious hunting around I found a rather smart push button switch, swapped the backlight LED for a red one (obviously) and then worked out how on earth I was going to wire it in. Several rough diagrams later I worked out that to keep it as OEM as possible, I need plugs (if the trim ever needs removing). So a male/female 4 pin pair were bought with the necessary repair wires and following my rough diagrams I ended up with a guarded switch that lights up in red when the socket receives power. Bit pleased with myself about this one!

Some of the inside shots are a bit crummy. Once I've got the interior all back together (and cleaned) I'll take some more and upload them.

Plenty more mods to come.....just bought myself a Full FIS cluster!! [<:eek:)]

·
King Dogger
13,907 Posts
Very nice mate, looks really tidy and nice mods, i really like the seats!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. Hope the cash doesn't give up. Got some really cool stuff planned! ;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seats are very nice
What is the 3rd button on the fuel release console for?
Have a look at this thread:

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/402028.aspx?PageIndex=1

That was my previous Golf. I'm planning on doing that mod again this year, but this time I'm going to finish it!! The third button on the console will be like a manual override for the camera. The camera pops out automatically when reverse is s elected. Now lets say you want to see what's going on behind you for (whatever reason) while driving in a forward gear. Hit this button and (in theory) the camera will pop out. The button symbol is for a pair of sidelights, but standing on an end the way it is, I thought it represents something coming out the back of my car. The jury is still out on that one to be honest.

The seats themselves were an ebay find. They came out of a three door Golf and were in a bit of a state. While at Jake's Panelcare, the first time, I saw a calling card for Autotrim near Manchester (you can see more of their work here: http://www.autotrimnorthwest.co.uk). Long story short I dropped the seats off with them. The guys were very friendly and we talked about a few ideas and what would look good and what wouldn't.

Around about the same time I bought a R-Line gear gaitor that came with white stitching. I loved the 'sporty' look that gave it.

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=3796&xSec=142 (for the eagle eyed out there I know this is a 5 speed. I'm just using the photo)

And while thinking about that gaiter, I wandered into my local VW dealer and had a look at the new Sirocco. Or more specifically, it's seats. Between the two of them I had found the style I was after. The pattern for the stitching came from a photo of some Recaros somebody else had done (those had red stitching though). And the final touch was to get Recaro embossed on the seats themselves. It was the guys at Autotrim who suggested having the logo on the back seats as well (my idea was all black originally).

EDIT: Forgot to say I gave the gaiter to Autotrim and they did an amazing job matching the seats to the gaiter in terms of leather and colour.

While the seats were with them, they got rid of the handles that tilt the seats forward (as mine is a 5 door), fitted the heating pads and then went to work on the seat covers. All in all, I thought they did an amazing job. I'm a complete ass about them now though, no eating or drinking in my car!! [:mad:]

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is the fuse card I made by the way:

·
i love to ski, its so relaxing
2,365 Posts
I love those seats, and the r line bumper its a smart car! I wud love a r line bumper but ive gt a red car if i was to spray the bumper i dnt think it wud match the rest of the car [:(]

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I love those seats, and the r line
bumper its a smart car! I would love a r line bumper but ive gt a red
car if i was to spray the bumper i dnt think it would match the rest of
the car
This guy did it. Think it looks awesome!

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/442651/3040552.aspx

It's just such a good looking bumper it doesn't matter what colour it is!

Could you pm me how much they charged you for
the seats please, as I have a spare set of seats that I may get trimmed
rather than buy a set of leathers.
You've been PM'ed

Awesome mate that interior is lovely. Need to get my ass in gear and get some bits done to mine
Thanks dude. While I'm replacing the walnut trim with black versions I was looking at my cream (and dirty) headliner/pillar trims. Trying to work out if it's worth going 'all' black........I like the cream, it breaks it up a bit, but I'm not convinced it works with those seats.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
can't believe I missed this build thread, looking forward to seeing what you've got planned

love your seats. That's on my list of stuff to do.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts