Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I just usually take my cars to the same garage i have always done....they just squeeze me in as it usually goes straight through!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
the south glos council depot - transport services.

not only coz my parents work there and i get a bit of discount, but also because they have no need to fail it so they get money from work done, like these tyre and exhaust places.

and they are as professional as you can get!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Cant understand why any one takes there car to a dealer to have an MOT, they charge much more and not all VW garages are MOT certified so they end up taking YOUR cash and then taking YOUR car to a back street garage to get MOT'd. Even whe they do onsite MOT's they still charge a fortune for something that any authorised garage can do.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Quote: posted by smithjoe on 12/10/2004 23:26:44

Cant understand why any one takes there car to a dealer to have an MOT, they charge much more and not all VW garages are MOT certified so they end up taking YOUR cash and then taking YOUR car to a back street garage to get MOT'd. Even whe they do onsite MOT's they still charge a fortune for something that any authorised garage can do.

Spot on. I know of 1 local VW dealer, and 1 Skoda dealer who do exactly this..... not on in my book.. its just extra money for nothing!

·
Registered
218 Posts
When the V6's first MOT came up a couple of months ago. I booked mine in with the dealer for the sole reason of having all the stamps match, only to be told that they are getting a local garage to do it for them! Told them they can forget it..

and had it done at the local old skool village garage instead, where our family have been going for years!

EDIT : How do you DIY an MOT?

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
To anyone who doesn't care that the only cat i have is 21 years old, and it eats cat food[:D]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Wilko is it me or you that's going mad, but what on earth does your cat have to do with mot's? Anyway I haven't had to get my car mot'd yet but when I do it'll be at JBS.

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
I think I might need one in my exhaust to pass an MOT

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Doh, I was obviously being a bit dim there, was thinking another thread might have been about somewhere or something.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Where do you take yours?
Late reply, but a chap I talk to said NOT to take my auto for a MOT to the same garage where I have it serviced.

Reason -- because there are many garages who will find something (non existant) wrong on a MOT just to up their profit factor.

What do you people think? I took it to the same garage (non-VW) and had no problem.

I must be his "pet" Yank because he can give me details of my auto over the phone after months based just on my telephone number and "S Registration Golf 4". The garage isn't that sophisticated to have some sort of computer link to the telephone number and my service record, the blokes doing it from memory or maybe a Roledex. I was impressed.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I know of a garage in Kidderminster who will M.O.T your car or bike from a photograph!!!!

I must admit that I made the mistake of taking the car to be M.O.Ted at the dealers this year knowing that it had nothing wrong with it and they failed it on rear axle bushes and charged me about ?400.

Funnily and coincidentally, my dad took his 1.6 there the previous month for an M.O.T and they also failed his on rear axle bushes.

Needless to say I will not be taking it there again if I can help it.

·
Banned
774 Posts
I just drive round and round until I find one who will do it on the spot and then stand there and watch them do it while asking questions from the viewing area (if possible). Always found talking to the guys (yet to see a woman doing a MOT test) smooths the process.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts