Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help please. I have just failed an MOT on my headlights. I replaced the bulbs 2 months ago with PowerBulbs as recommended on here.The tester said that the headlights had no pattern. Does anyone know what this means? He said i must have installed the bulbs incorrectly. To be honest i spent 3 hours installing these bulbs( alot longer than it should), but i know i did it correctly. Am i right in thinking that bulbs just plug in and dont need adjusting. Im presuming the reflector or light case itself is the part that needs adjusting.thanks in advance,(and by the way he also failed me on having my rear middle seatbelt under my seat).matt

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Beam Pattern, basically when you aim beams at a wall there should be a defined flat line (within a certain height limit) then they kick off at an angle upwards to the left (so you dont blind oncoming traffic)

Id imagine the bulbs arent sitting flat/correct way in the holder or something silly like that. Didnt think i t would fail on the centre seatbelt but still its only 2 minutes to rip up the back seat and fish it out. Then everyones happy

Edit , towards the back of headlights there is a 6mm allen key plastic fixing, wind it in or out to adjust height of headlamp aim if patterns look ok

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
If you're taking 3 hrs to change bulbs, you're taking too long - remove the bumper, it'll be easier!

Can you get your old bulbs back in just for the re-test then change them back?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, 3 hrs includes chatting to neighbours and drinking t. So is the pattern adjustable or just the height.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
If you can , get a picture of your beam pattern up against a wall in the dark... ill let you know what needs doing/checking then.

If the pattern is right,i.e perfectly straight then flaring off up at an angle then all that`ll need doing is adjusting the height., which can be done in a few seconds.

If you do not have a perfect pattern then you need to start checking the seating of the bulbs etc...its hard to fit these bulbs incorrectly but i have seen it done many times

·
Registered
798 Posts
If you're taking 3 hrs to change bulbs, you're taking too long - remove the bumper, it'll be easier!
Headlamp bulbs should take a max of 5 mins per bulb, you cetainly don't have to remove the bumper, side light and mainbeam are trickier though since they are far less accessible.

·
Registered
183 Posts
They must be incorrectley fitted to loose the pattern, adjusting them up or down won't make any diff.    Trust me, I've done it meself and it is really obvious something is wrong. I'm surprised you didn't notice yourself in the last 2 mths.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
VOSA are Vehicle and Operator Service agency, they are the MOT authority!

As above make sure the bulb is sat correctly in the headlight.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I also had the same beam pattern issue on my old Lancia last week.  I tried re-fitting the bulb numerous times and also tried a different bulb, all without success.  In the end I removed the headlamp and fitted an old spare one that I had and, hey presto, the beam pattern was back.  I still have no idea what the problem was.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mine failed on having powerflex bushes, fair enough one was upside down.....but he failed the other side too, also had a problem with my headlight pattern!

Imp

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
resat the bulbs at the weekend. I had them up the wrong way. WHAT A TWAT. All sorted now and passed MOT. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP.Free tibet.matt

1 - 20 of 31 Posts