Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped my little black box of delights off early this morning (so Kirsty could pick me up on her way home from work) and got a phone call at 10....
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

Font Screenshot Number Electric blue

I knew the front discs were going to come up (they did last year too, prior to our ownership)

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Than why did you not change them with some new ones... let me guess you want big brakes? That is the only reason for you to leave them apart from being lazy at least it passed so now you need new brakes and new tires...

And your next mot they won't be on there

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are the green Skodas not 312 out the box? Might be full of glue. They contact patch isn't amazing, need cleaned up! :)

IMAGINE PUTTING A CAR FOR AN MOT NEEDING TYRES. TUT TUT.
It doesn't NEED tyres.. he reckons they've got a couple of thousand miles in them yet... good lad my meknic, been doing our mot's and most of our garage work for about 10 years now.
Been waiting for the fundage to get all 4 done, starting work next Monday so first payday will probably get them bought.
I quite like Toyo Proxes but Michelin Cross climates get a thumbs up from the vRS community.

Yeah, those front discs are 312, 256 rears iirc. All 4 discs and pads have also been on the to-do list since we bought it. But it stops well so they've taken a while to creep towards the top.
Wanted ate discs but the cost is a bit eye watering.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Than why did you not change them with some new ones... let me guess you want big brakes? That is the only reason for you to leave them apart from being lazy at least it passed so now you need new brakes and new tires...

And your next mot they won't be on there
Sorry mate, didn't see this..
Can't fit bigger discs under those 16's... and the 16's are staying.
It's been a money thing.

I ran out of the stuff.

Got a job starting Monday though (terrifying) so should be able to get everything done that needs doing.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found Pagid dics pretty good tbh.

Also I found Proxies to be terrible in the wet and also wear fast.
Had Pagid on the motorbikes, were decent back then.. will take a look.

Got Proxes on the Vectra, no complaints at all. But I think it's a little easier on tyres than the Octavia to be fair.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Sticky tires whatever brand you go for...

That said, try zimmerman disks they are quite good value for money and last seriously long... that is if you don't run the pads all the way down to the metal...

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sticky tires whatever brand you go for...

That said, try zimmerman disks they are quite good value for money and last seriously long... that is if you don't run the pads all the way down to the metal...
Crossclimate 2's are winning at the moment, they seem to be about the highest rated all season tyres out there..

Got about 5 weeks, all being well, so plenty of time to work it out.

·
NooNoo
9,472 Posts
Standard Pagid pads make a lot of dust, you have been warned :D

Reactions: northpole

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Dropped my little black box of delights off early this morning (so Kirsty could pick me up on her way home from work) and got a phone call at 10.... View attachment 52082

View attachment 52083

I knew the front discs were going to come up (they did last year too, prior to our ownership)

View attachment 52084
I had to laugh over the brake disc wear ad advisories.
I bought My 07 Golf 5 1.9Tdi late 2010 and early 2011 a VW dealer kdou g warranty work) told me I needed new front disks and pads but I knew they were Ok.
A year later at MOT I was given an advisory on the front disks but again knew there were Ok.
The bizzare thing is that just a week ago I passed for the 9th consecutive time with the same garage and even the same tester with the same discs never mentioned since, despite 40k+ of extra mileage

Sent from my HRY-LX1T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
With 40k of daily driving the pads should have cleared the disk back to normal looking disks... as long as there is enough meat on the disks you can actually just take a grinder to them and make em smooth... but the pads do the same... slower but eventually they'll get the lot off.

Hell I have even cut off the lips created by the ware on some disks... on a E36 M3, and a lexus is200 as they were fine but had this deep lip on em but still well within the tolerances... so took the grinder to cut them off than round them nicely like oem... all done on the car while having the disks spinning so the grinder was locked in a certain position.

Mot tester had no clue and thought they were new disks.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
With 40k of daily driving the pads should have cleared the disk back to normal looking disks... as long as there is enough meat on the disks you can actually just take a grinder to them and make em smooth... but the pads do the same... slower but eventually they'll get the lot off.

Hell I have even cut off the lips created by the ware on some disks... on a E36 M3, and a lexus is200 as they were fine but had this deep lip on em but still well within the tolerances... so took the grinder to cut them off than round them nicely like oem... all done on the car while having the disks spinning so the grinder was locked in a certain position.

Mot tester had no clue and thought they were new disks.
Until this year I always did my own pre-mot, wheels off and check sll the susprnsion, boots, and measured all the disks and pads with micrometer and dial guage to check they were within spec. The disks and callipers always got a good clean with angle grinder and wire brush and I ground the edge lip down with a flap disk a few times before lubing including the slide pins and pad back and touch points.
Disk wise I'm still on the 07 factory originals on 97k. I didnt check them immediately in Jan 2011 when VW said I needed new but did buy a full set from GSF to fit myself and they've been gathering dust in a cupboard for 10 years now.

Sent from my HRY-LX1T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I really cba with all that now..
Maybe if I had a lock-up of sufficient size.

Or the front was concreted over and the weather was warm and dry...

Other than that. Nope.

Miss the Southend days when I had full access to garages, spray shops, whatever I wanted pretty much.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Miss the Southend days when I had full access to garages, spray shops, whatever I wanted pretty
you aren't the only one... If i had access to that my daily would look like it just left the showroom... but i don't so i can't be bothered what i did do though was do most of the jobs that needed doing when it was nice and warm... So come MOT time i know the car will pass.

·
NooNoo
9,472 Posts
I always do the spanner work in the summer and I've got a covered carport with a pit. Cold spanners are the worst and my knees hurt!

Back to discs, there are some brands that have a total anti-rust coating on them that never comes off... The brake area gets wiped clear but the rest I'm told never rusts and looks unsightly. I need to do the ones on my ED30, starting to look dodgy but years of life left in them.

🙃

Reactions: Evil

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Back to discs, there are some brands that have a total anti-rust coating on them that never comes off... The brake area gets wiped clear but the rest I'm told never rusts and looks unsightly. I need to do the ones on my ED30, starting to look dodgy but years of life left in them.
🙃
Run 'em into the ground i'd say... the only reason i pointed to the advisory of his disks is because i know how @Evil can get... he looks at it, decides it needs replacing, buys the part than he decides he isn't going to put his body through any pain just to have some better looking disks... and they'll endup being dead weight in the boot. Although he knows i will always give him a hand, it still means he needs to come down to Ipswich... not that far for him but he is like me we both hate to ask for help... and we both suffer afterwards as we ain't no spring chickens 🤣😂😅

1 - 19 of 19 Posts