Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang

Booked the car in for the mot for next wed. This is the first time ive booked it in for a mot and a bit scared of being ripped off.

What checks should i do before wed?

Cheers for the help

Dean

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hi Dean,

Things that jump out are stupid little things like:

Check your; all your lights, washer bottle is full, horn works, Tyres have rubber on them, wiper blades are ok, seat belts work, pads and discs are in good order, no chips in windscreen/light lense's, no cracks/black marks on number plate.

Must be more though

HTH

Carl

·
Registered
414 Posts
A good emissions check is to let it warm up, hold the revs to 2k for 30 secs, let return to idle, and watch for any smoke out the exhaust. Obviously the less the better.

Handbrake works
Jack car up and check for play in wheel bearings - grab at 9 and 3o'clock and try and move each way and also 12 and 6 o'clock.
Check all bulbs inc. fog lights, reverse and correct operation of hazards and indicators.
Bounce all four corners to check shocks. Each should go down under your force, come up past the rest position, and return to rest position.

That's all I can think of at the moment!

Oh, and a good rag on the morning of the test may "help it along regarding emissions"!!

Andy

·
Registered
927 Posts
THey dont check the spare tyre

Above and beyond what cookiemonster says, anything else is wasted. The car will be warmed up on the test in preparation for the cat test.

I used to have customers ask if they can have pre-mot checks---why?, they're waste of time.

Get a test done, then you know exactly what needs doing.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I always thought they checked the spare tyre 'if it was there...'?

As for emissions, if the car does lots of town driving and short distances, or has done recently, I would recommend a good blast on the way to the testing station to blow any cobwebs out.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yeah i'd recommend good blast to clean things out before the emissions test. Had a failure once, the guy said i could strip everything down and clean it up or you could give it a good blast. After the blast it passed.

What are the MOT regulations with chips in windscreen and headlights?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the tips.

I mainly do short trips but i'm going to Harewood house tomorrow so will this give it the godd blast it needs?

Dean

·
Registered
65 Posts
What are the MOT regulations with chips in windscreen and headlights?
I think without looking in my book

maximium size chip/crack for the screen is

10mm inside the drivers side wiper sweep area

20mm inside the passanger side swipe area

Small chips are ok in the H lights BUT if the glass has a hole in or is incompleate its a fail, the same goes for rear red or ogange lights , if they show white light they fail.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Re. VW Festival

Just curious [:)] I live nearby (Harrogate) and I'd like to go but unable to make it unfortunately. Would love to have a good look at the restored camper vans.

Make sure you take your wellies: it's been raining cats and dogs today!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have rear black hella's with no reflectors. First MOT ive put it through since so its going to be interesting to see what happens when mine goes in on Thursday.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have rear smoked hella lights and have not had a issue with the lack of reflectors.. also front sidelights are not normally checked just dipped and full beam and beam alignment..

also only need one reverse light and one fog light.. spare tyres are not checked as well as rear wiper blade.

also min tyre depth is 1.6mm

1 - 20 of 28 Posts