Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bizarre one here, but I have just had my MOT and the car passed with no problems...however I did get an advisory of which I have never seen or had before on any of my other cars "Front and Rear lowered suspension".

The bloke said that there is no problems with it what so ever (car or suspension), but it is something they have to state on the MOT. Is this something new, as I have newer had one of these on any of my other cars (all lowered) or the Golf in its previous 2 MOT's (lowered in both cases)?

Luke

·
uk-mkivs
1,572 Posts
I just went through MOT last week & nothing said to me about being lowered.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps they viewed my car as 'excessively low' then (despite the fact its not).

But if this were the case, then surely lots of others on here would of had the same advisory. Which makes me beleiev that this is something new?

·
Registered
569 Posts
on mine last month they advised all 4 shockers as worn. on my eibach coilies, they are all fine! prob just trying to cover their own asses. I just wish they didnt do stupid advisories cos i like a clean sheet!

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What was the code they gave?
I will have a look tonight as the MOT is at home, but from what I can remember it had a number "1" before the description...?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
yeah to cover their asses most likely. like someone said could catch out a few people say if the insurance company was to dig deep in case of an accident. Then the person cant really turn around and say "i didnt know my car was lowered"

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
I know some one who had advisorys saying "Aftermarket Suspension fitted" & "Aftermarket Brakes fitted" Because he had coilovers & Porsche brakes on at the time

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Anything that is advised is only there to show that the testers SPOTTED the item but decided it was safe.

If they had not advised it and your car was inspected by VOSA 5 mins later, the tester can be closed down.

I assume they did it because they have had issues in the past with a car that has been lowered, and dont forget that uprated shocks can mean that the car is outside the manufacturers safe allowances on suspension heights etc...

·
Registered
576 Posts
On my MOT on my advisories it said "non standard wheels and tyres" and "non standard suspension" i was a bit miffed by this as i didnt think it would make a difference?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
it is just to save the mot testers ass, they wont write if on if you know the guy. for example say you were stupidly low went down the road after the mot and bit a hump and cracked the sump, someone might go back and blame the testers whereas they could turn around and say you were lowered so much that your sump hit the road.

·
Registered
576 Posts
it is just to save the mot testers ass, they wont write if on if you know the guy. for example say you were stupidly low went down the road after the mot and bit a hump and cracked the sump, someone might go back and blame the testers whereas they could turn around and say you were lowered so much that your sump hit the road.
Hmm i supose this is right. i was just a bit miffed to see it on my MOT form at the end. and mines only lowered around 40mm so its not even that low. And i dont see why mine said "non standard wheels and tyres" im guessing thats the same as the suspension to cover there own backs as my tyres are stretched a bit, but i still dont see why the wheels makes a difference though.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Hmm i supose this is right. i was just a bit miffed to see it on my MOT form at the end. and mines only lowered around 40mm so its not even that low. And i dont see why mine said "non standard wheels and tyres" im guessing thats the same as the suspension to cover there own backs as my tyres are stretched a bit, but i still dont see why the wheels makes a difference though.
Its just to state that the suspension and wheels are not set up as factory std. So if your wheels were causing the tyres to wear quickly, the testers cant be at fault if your tread becomes illegal within days of being tested, yet not at advisory level on the day.

Also, if you had an accident and the wheels were to blame, the testers have confirmed that they knew you had aftermarket wheels, plus that at the time, these wheels were safe.

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
So why did I receive an advisory for a diesel de-cat? What could that lead to that could drop the tester in the poo?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts