271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the bhp limits on

a) A K03

b) A K03 Sport

c) A K04

d) Jabba's IHI

e) An E05

I want to go the next step in tuning and really wanted to know whether its worth going from a K03 to a K03s. Is there a lot more power or would it be worth my while saving a little more and getting something better?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
a) A K03 - 200ish

b) A K03 Sport - 220-230ish

c) A K04 - 230-240ish

d) Jabba's IHI 280-340ish

e) An E05 - 280ish

depends on setup and other hardware "ish!" only

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, thanks for the info...

Im running an 1999 AGU Non-DBW, Pipercross Viper CAI, Neuspeed Turbo Intake pipe, Neuspeed Downpipe (soon), Mongoose Cat-back exhaust and Upsoluted ECU.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Depends on your budget.

K03S or K04 - Turbo, fitting and remap - ?1k+

E05 - Turbo, Injectors, Pump, fitting and remap ?2k+

IHI - Turbo, Manifold, downpipe, injectors, pump, LSD, clutch, Brakes, TIP, Remap ?5k+

Have you considered NOS? upto 100bhp extra for around ?1200. You'll still need to consider transmission and chassis upgrades though.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Yep think Edd has nipped it in the bud for ya there... how deep are your pockets! Hes been down the BT path to.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Sceptic, given your current setup a K03S/K04/E05 isn't gonna be particularly good value for money IMHO. Either go big turbo or NOS. You could prob go with 50bhp of NOS without any transmission issues.

Probably not what you want to hear but have you considered changing cars?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote: posted by EddyH on 28/09/2004 16:50:42

Sceptic, given your current setup a K03S/K04/E05 isn't gonna be particularly good value for money IMHO. Either go big turbo or NOS. You could prob go with 50bhp of NOS without any transmission issues.

Probably not what you want to hear but have you considered changing cars?

Thanks Edd, Great Info there. Definately not changing cars..yet. Only bought it in June! [:I]

NOS has always scared the hell out of me. Ive always worried about it blowing up things before they should blow up! Is this true? BUT, saying that, ive liked the sound of progressive NOS, in the fact that if you drive it normally its not active but if you plant your foot to the floor it throws a bit of 'kick-ass' in. Is this right?

At the moment my pockets are shallow but my mind is broad!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hmmm... dunno you could pick up a 2nd hand KO3s charger for 100 - 150 quid and fit it yourself? should give you a 20 - 30bhp hike, chuck in a 3" down pipe and cat for a few more horses both of which could be used on future upgrades....

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
A progressive system isn't going to cause any more stress than the equivalent power from a bigger turbo and will actually also help keep the engine cooler.

With a progresive system nitrous isn't injected unless the 'arm' switch is on and the accelerator pedal is fully depressed. Then when it does come in it builds progressively over a preset time rather than an instant hit of the full jet size. This avoids undue stress on the drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Quote: posted by Geeba on 28/09/2004 19:26:34

... should give you a 20 - 30bhp hike ...

With an appropriate remap to take advantage of the bigger turbo.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Quote: posted by Geeba on 28/09/2004 19:26:34

Hmmm... dunno you could pick up a 2nd hand KO3s charger for 100 - 150 quid and fit it yourself? should give you a 20 - 30bhp hike, chuck in a 3" down pipe and cat for a few more horses both of which could be used on future upgrades....

You won't get 20-30bhp without a remap which adds ?500, also allow ?30 for new bolts, gaskets and other fittings. Also if you can't fit yourself allow around ?200 for that.

BTW the DP would only be compatible with K03S/K04/E05, new DP is required for IHI/garret.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hmmm... thought you can cut the DP flange off for IHI? Yeah I agree on the map but he's gonna need that whatever path he goes surely... Gary think he already has the TIP...

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Quote: posted by Geeba on 28/09/2004 19:53:56

Hmmm... thought you can cut the DP flange off for IHI? Yeah I agree on the map but he's gonna need that whatever path he goes surely... Gary think he already has the TIP...

You can......but the cat also doesn't flow enough gas for a big turbo so it's wasted money really.

He won't need a remap for NOS, also if he goes bigger turbo later he'll need another remap.

IMO the K03S is only really cost effective if you're not paying for a remap twice.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Quote: posted by Geeba on 28/09/2004 19:53:56

Gary think he already has the TIP...

Yeah, saw he had a Neuspeed TIP seconds after posting so I deleted it.

Thought I had got away with that one!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, some interested points made here.

A few of my friends are mechanics so fitting a new Turbocharger wont be that much of a deal.

Another question now though seems to be:

Say i get a K03s and stick that on, as i have had my car Upsoluted doesn't that mena its irreversable? (sp) Would i have to buy a brand new ECU to make use of the new K03s and remap that one or could i get my existing one re-remapped?

Thanks for your help so far guys and girls

[:D]

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I'm afraid you would have to pay for a complete new remap from somewhere like Jabbasport as Upsolute don't do software for the K03S on an AGU engine.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Silly question but can someone explain the different turbos you are talking about.

I have been told my 110TDi would take a 130PD Turbo, a 150PD Turbo and Intercooler, but I dont know the model of any (apparantely there are several different versions of each). Given that my car is a cheap run around, I am not looking to spend 1000's on it. I can get access to cheap VW parts through a contact I have including the turbo's.

Hence the reason I am interested [:D]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts