Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting quite sick of the golf now. 2 years of trouble free motoring, and in the past week ive had things go wrong left right and center. Latest problem: BEEP BEEP "ENGINE WORKSHOP!", GLOW PLUGS light flahes on and off. So at least we know the problem, but can somone explain this glow plug buisness to me, and most importantly how much to repair? How much for parts and labour on this little lot?

Also, still cant figure out why i have no brake lights working, all fuses are fine.

HEEELLLLLP PLEEEASE!!!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Don't panic, really simple thing. Brake light switch, goes under the brake pedal, about ?12 from dealers. 2 min to fit!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't panic, really simple thing. Brake light switch, goes under the brake pedal, about ?12 from dealers. 2 min to fit!
OK thanks, thats the brake lights sorted.

Anybody know about the glow plugs?!

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
No seriously,

Are your brake lights working ?

If there is a fault with the brake light circuit, it will cause the glowplug light to flash up. The glowplug light flashing indicates an engine management and / or safety critical system failure.

As the TDI is DBW, the brake circuit is a safety system.

As above though, if they are not working (whichh I guess will be the case), a new switch is about ?10 and will take about a half hour to swap.

I would be quite suprised if it is not the brake light switch. If not, get it read / read it for faults and post your findings.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ah right, so the ENGINE WORKSHOP and GLOW PLUGS lamp is to do with me having no brake lights then?!! I thought it was 2 seperate things!! Sos if that sounds thick!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
The words ENGINE WORKSHOP and the glow plug light are telling you about the brake lights. There's no other problem. Quite a common problem too!

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Yep,

One of the same.

Your glowplug light flashing is telling you you have an engine management fault.

The fault you have is the brake lights, which as it is a safety critical system is deemed to come under engine management.

This one panicks everyone and quite naturally you think there is something major wrong.

One thing......

At the moment, if your DBW throttle goes faulty, you'll have a runaway Golf as there is no safety cut out. (the throttle normally will be cut if you press the brake, even if you've got your foot hard down).... good for left foot braking though

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Ct.p, is the clutch pedal switch a safety cut off for the DBW too?
If you've got one fitted, I think it would as I'm sure they are wired in series.

Note; the brake light switch is split into two circuits, one serves the lights, one serves the ecu, it is (i think) the ecu circuit that is wired in series with the clutch switch.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Mike, I had a very similar problem a while ago, just as I was braking I got "Engine Workshop" on the MFD and the glow plug light lit up, although my brake lights were still working. I'd read previously about brake light/engine warning messages being related, but as my brake lights were OK I feared the worst.

Anyway, took it back to dealers (was still under warranty at time) and explained the problem, and the service receptionist just said "Aah, it'll probably be to do with the brake lights! we'll sort it out for you"

I think they changed some switch in the brake light system and the message went away.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bought the brake light switch from VW yesterday, ?6.60 plus vat. Not fitted it yet BUT tonight my brake lights are working?!?!?!? Whats going on?!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts