Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
The info is now up of the VW site. Economy is (urban/ex-urban/combined):

1.4: 28.8 / 43.6 / 38.2
TDI: 35.8 / 56.5 / 46.3

So that'll be 34 for the petrol and 42 for the diesel...

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Yes - I think we are just about to see the current GT (TDI & FSI) being 'demoted' to Sport models as predicted in my signature. The game is up and VW UK now have no choice but to market them as they were built. The new GT has 17" 'Classix' wheels, unique radiator, twin exhausts etc and the old one does not so I think the Sport line up will simply be extended in the next few days to show 2.0 140PS TDI and 2.0 150PS FSI engines as further options in addition to the 1.6 115PS FSI and 1.9 105PS TDI engines already available. Virtually everything else is the same now anyway, apart from the foglights which will probbaly become optional.

It will be interesting to see how they re-price them though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I see the info on the new GT is now up on VW's website. Seems that the 2.0 TDI 140 will be in the new GT engine line-up alongside the 2.0 TDI 170 and 1.4 TSI engines so it seems it will not be moved down to the sport as we all thought. The 2.0 FSI 150 would appear to have been dropped.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new_cars/golf/gt

Cheers,

Osprey

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I am very surprised at this - how did VW UK get the parent company to make the new GT with an engine from the Sportline range and still have the new grille, wheel, alloys and twin exhaust? It does not mention that the 140PS TDI has anything other than the new features.[:O]

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's a shame to see that after the whole 2.0 115bhp MK4 GTI / Highline fiasco that VW hasn't given it's UK branch a slap for making up non-existent models!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Price-wise this range doesn't make sense. No mention of dual-zone climate, which presumably then is a ?700 option. Put that onto the prices for the GT range, and you're into GTi territory, especially for the diesels. I think they'll have trouble selling these.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Having had a look at the specs & prices on the VW website I don't think I'll be trading up to the TDI170. I was disappointed anyway that the new GT TDI wasn't a full blown GTI diesel, and it's looks don't really set it apart enough to get too excited about. It seems that economy is significantly down on the 170TDI also. The good news is that the 140TDI GT is still priced at around the same as the current model, therefore residuals shouldn't be affected too much hopefully. Totally happy with my 140TDI so it will be staying with me until the MkVI comes around.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think the biggest problem for the GT TSI170 is that you can buy a Focus ST or a Octavia vRS for less than the price of it with more standard kit and much better performance. Even if you're dead set on a Golf by the time you factor in Aircon,etc you're only a ?1k short of being able to afford a GTi! Cant see it being popular given what else you can buy for the same amount of cash.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When you take into account the spec differences, the GTI is only ?400 more expensive. Given the huge styling and image considerations, the 170 looks too expensive to me. If they were both the same price, and both had the same styling, features, suspension and so on (like the Mk4), then I'd probably go for it.

Oh well!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have to say I quite like it not as in your face as the GTi but different from the rest of the range.  Wonder what discounts will be like on the older GT models.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Personally I like the new model - I have to choose a diesel and have no interest in a Focus or Seat etc

I was going to have a 140 TDi, but now there is a better looking model with more power its a no brainer - bring it on! Surely its just good news for everyone... except those with a 140!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I think the point is that the 'older' GT model is still around. Although its not clear yet if VW will be putting the 140PS TDI engine in a car with the same styling features as the new GT, or whether the 140PS version is in fact simply a Sportline. Does anyone know if the GT in Europe has a 140PS option?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts