Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Info Guys...

I noticed what appeared to be water marks on my alloys, which would be strange as I always leather thoroughly after washing them, Dealer had car in last week to check out steering grind prior to ordering new rack, he too noticed the small circular marks and has now ordered a new set of alloys, apparently I have corrosion under the laquer, probably just a one off but well worth checking yours after the next wash, will keep you all updated.

Spin.[:|]

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've noticed a few marks on mine as well.

After having comps on my TT I can't say I'm surprised but I'll be waiting until all the $hite has been washed off the roads in spring before I approach the dealer [:)]

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I must admit i was suprised after all the trouble with this type of finish on Anniversaries they put wheels like this on.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Any lacquered metal alloy wheel will corrode in this country with the winter conditions we have. Take a look at the wheels on nearly any SLK 230 (the facelift version of the original car). they are in the same finish and will always have corrosion in and around the bolt recesses.

Stick to painted wheels

·
Registered
141 Posts
For Info Guys...

I noticed what appeared to be water marks on my alloys, which would be strange as I always leather thoroughly after washing them, Dealer had car in last week to check out steering grind prior to ordering new rack, he too noticed the small circular marks and has now ordered a new set of alloys, apparently I have corrosion under the laquer, probably just a one off but well worth checking yours after the next wash, will keep you all updated.

Spin.[:|]
This is waht really put me off ordering the 18's, I remember back in 1990 when VW changed the BBS cross spoke wheels for the laquered 5 spoke Corrado style 15" wheels on the Mk II 16V GTi's, (which I was unlucky enough to get on my new GTi) within 12 months the laquer was lifting, at least with the 17's they are painted and much more robust.

If on the Mk V they had offered 18" painted BBS cross spokes as an option I would have been tempted

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've just had a new set of 4 wheels on my GT TDI this week under warranty - different wheels obviously to the GTi but still lacquered finish. Corrosion was quite bad on all 4 wheels, and they changed them with no problem at all (even after 50k miles!)

Al

·
Registered
320 Posts
Its good to hear they are changing them without a problem.

I must say with Klasse and Wheel Wax protection haven't noticed a hint of corrosion on any of my GTI wheels!

·
Registered
307 Posts
My wheels on the gti( monza II) have corrosion as well now.  Going to leave it to the next service though to point it out.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone had their wheels changed under warranty yet? As mine are getting worse[:mad:]
Had mine all replaced under warranty last wednesday along with the steering rack. Car was washed, leathered, and is now as good as new. They even carried out a back to front on the tyres for me as requested. Absolutely no problem changing them just be careful if asked how you have been cleaning them to avoid a knock back, no abrasive materilas or chemicals etc..

Dealership confirmed VW have changed a small amount of sets due to a 'poor batch' they will check the part/batch number before ordering your new set. The wheels took 2 weeks to arrive after reporting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anybody had a bodyshop apply an additional layer of clear laquer to their Monza II's to help fight off corrosion? - if so, has it helped?

A mate suggested using Armourfend which might stop stone scratches/chips but the pieces would be tricky to cut and who knows whether they would stick for long.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Im 90% sure there is a cure for these polish looked wheels i read it on
here about the anni wheels i think it was something to do with plastic
coating or something like that not 100% sure.

Sat

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I had the dealer apply Supaguard to internal/external parts of car including wheels.

3 year guarantee from Supaguard themselves to prevent corrosion on wheels from brake dust etc.

I didn't really want the option but final chat prior to completion was with Sales Manager and all this and that about ?22k car and whats an extra ?200 I thought ok u've got me put it on LOL

Will see if it holds up true to its word.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Is the corrosion on the silver part or the dark grey inner part? I have just scuffed 1 alloy so im hoping to get water marks so i get a new set, or does any 1 know if laquered wheels can be repaired?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts