Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just washed the car at lunch & noticed that my rims have developed a "gold tinge" [:(!].

I've tried a bit of P21S Prepaint cleaner & its appears to be doing very little.

Any help or tips from fellow sad'o detailers on how to remove this would be most grateful.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Could be a discoulouring caused by simple heat build up....Have you allways used a NON-ACIDIC wheel cleaner??????

Are all wheels the same???

Could be a long shot,but it could be where over prolonged cleaning the lacquer has broken down...(DAM AMATURES[:D][:D][:D])

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote: posted by squky clean on 04/02/2005 14:36:00

Could be a discoulouring caused by simple heat build up....Have you allways used a NON-ACIDIC wheel cleaner??????

Are all wheels the same???

Could be a long shot,but it could be where over prolonged cleaning the lacquer has broken down...(DAM AMATURES[:D][:D][:D])

I've most used Hotrims, although of late I've used Turtle wax, but they get cleaned wheel by wheel & hosed off straight away & never when hot/or even used.

More so on the fronts than the rears.

Think Im gona give them a good scrub sat morning with some scratch-x/brasso mix, it should cut any film away thats on top, do you think ?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Both Josh and Myself have noticed this discolouring. We've both been using MC-2. We found one application of Wonder wheels got rid of it though. However I won't be using it too often as I know it's pretty harsh.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote: posted by EddyH on 04/02/2005 15:15:17

Both Josh and Myself have noticed this discolouring. We've both been using MC-2. We found one application of Wonder wheels got rid of it though. However I won't be using it too often as I know it's pretty harsh.

Eddy,

Interesting reading, shall go to Halfrauds later & give it a try.

Squky, nah never tried it before, only ever waxed them with NXT or pinnicle, no cutting agents used in the past.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
My wheels have this gold tinge too, and I have also been using MC2 after it was recommended, but still cant shift it.

Does wonder wheels get it all off then? might try that to 'cure' it then try and keep up regular MC2 cleaning and not let it get too bad.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Quote: posted by Jace on 05/02/2005 13:20:05

[:D][:D][:D][:D]

Tried the Wonderwheels this morning & I now have Silver wheels again.

I've taken Before & After pics which I'll put up laters.

Glad it worked for you!

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I have just spend the last 2 and a bit hours claying the car, I noticed a yellow tinge on the lower part of the door behind the front wheel.

I guess it must be something that the cars have been picking up of the roads.

Anyway, the paint is oh so smooth now [:D] Polish and wax tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote: posted by Benn130TDI on 08/02/2005 17:04:08

Where are those locking wheel nuts?!?!?!?!?!

Under the plastic cover caps, just VW standard issue ones that came fitted from the father land.[:)]

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Quote: posted by Jace on 08/02/2005 19:04:36

Quote: posted by Benn130TDI on 08/02/2005 17:04:08

Where are those locking wheel nuts?!?!?!?!?!

Under the plastic cover caps, just VW standard issue ones that came fitted from the father land.[:)]

Aah, I see thought most peeps changed the standard VW lockers for McGuards quick-smart.....I did, but the black cap doesnt fit on it then!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Quote: posted by Benn130TDI on 08/02/2005 22:24:03

Aah, I see thought most peeps changed the standard VW lockers for McGuards quick-smart.....I did, but the black cap doesnt fit on it then!

I have McGuard locking nuts and the caps fitted fine over them. You just have to give the caps a squeeze to help them grip the nut.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts