Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im thinking of upgrading my wheels, id prefer OEM wheels, im thinking of getting either the MontrealII wheels or the wheels on the R32.

Any ideas if they will look crap? does anyone know who make them? etc or where i might get a good price for new ones.

cheers

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Quote: posted by turbo_gti on 22/10/2004 16:00:40

BBS make the the simlar wheels I believe.

That would be OZ.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Quote: posted by dubzter on 22/10/2004 15:59:29

R32 wheels are a pain in the *** to clean

Your joking matey! They are a doddle to clean compared to others! I use a concentrate stuff, paste it on and hose off. My BBS wheels on my BMW take about 20 mins a wheel!!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hard to clean?!!

Spray with a wheel cleaner, wait a few minutes then use a soapy sponge to get them off using a little twist on the outside of the wheel. Quite a technique and I've got it down to an artform.

BBS wheels are the worst to clean but nowhere near as bad as those 18" ones you get on newish BMW 3 series.

Cleaning death!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for the suggestions so far, i think ill get the montreal II's however 16 or 17"? my car isint lowered so am wondering if its worth lowering? what do you guys think?

if so can you buy OEM sports kit, bearing in mind its a 1.6 match

·
Registered
158 Posts
All depends if you can live with the fist height gap on the rear you get when going up sizes on wheels.

I take it you had avus2 15" alloys on it, as i did on my match?

I now have 18" oettingers and believe me it needs lowering [:(]

GTI spings are 20mm lower than standard i think, and are easy and cheap to pick up. How low you want to go?

Im going the konigsport route soon [:D]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well ideally id liek to fit a set of 17inch montrealIIs, but unsure how much it would need to be lowered to look right, like u said i dont want huge gaps under the arches, any suggestions? does that mean id have to put a kit on springs and front and bacj shocks? if so any suggestions? could i go with OEM kit?

·
Registered
158 Posts
TBH i think 20mm is not going to be enough, suspension as with all things - you get what you pay for. You can go the cheap route just springs but your dampers will eventually get ruined.

Do a search or take a good look through the suspension topic as this has been discussed loads. Also check out the members rides to see different drops.

Oh and if i had to pick a fav OEM wheel its the santa monicas [^]

·
Registered
176 Posts
I dont understand how fiting larger wheels causes the need for lowering?

Surely the rolling radius is the same therfore the circumference of say

a 16" wheel and an 18" wheel with the correct tyre should be the same.

I wonder wether its just the bigger wheels make it look as if it needs lowering?!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Quote: posted by stokeballoon on 22/10/2004 18:45:30

get some S3 wheels, look brilliant on the Golf!

Only on silver and black ones i'd say. I saw an Indy Blue one and it looked fat and foul [:(]

·
Registered
348 Posts
Quote: posted by Milkfloat on 22/10/2004 16:24:29

Monty II's are common as muck, and a female dog to clean. Look in members rides to see what you like.

Mate they are easy to clean! i used to have bbs rm's on my corrado you should try cleaning them [:(] nightmare!! I upgraded to monty's II from the 15'' avus alloys a great improvement in looks total changed the car and the way it rides too much better[^] Imo 18's are to big ok on a R32 but i would'nt go any bigger then 16's on my tdi.[:D]

·
Registered
110 Posts
Quote: posted by g-master on 23/10/2004 10:03:46

Imo 18's are to big ok on a R32 but i would'nt go any bigger then 16's on my tdi.[:D]

My 18" R32's with a 40mm drop

http://www.edgedata.co.uk\mk4\m7rkx.JPG

Oh and I think these are so easy to clean. MC2 on them for a couple of mins then wash off with sponge. Job done.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts