·
Si
Mk4 golf GTI/Mk1 Seat LCR
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #982 ·
Yesterday I test fitted the front bumper before adding the grills

Then today I fitted the rear bumper

And sorted the front grills out, put the headlights on and refitted the bumper

I'm really loving it's new look, its freshend up a treat. I still really need to get the DA on the bonnet to bring back its shine but next up I'll be refurbing the wheels I think 😊

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Looking good bro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Si
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #985 ·
Finally finished the wheels. Damn I hate sanding wheels. In actual fact I'm never sanding another set by hand again. If I have to do it again I'll take the tyres off and get them sand blasted then spray them myself. But hey it's done for now.
Just need to re fit the side skirt on the drivers side, sort the tracking out, rifit the boot trim. Oh and give it a bloody good wash.
Then I'll start on the paint chips and DA the whole car. All this to be done by this Saturday as I'm taking her up to santapod for the VWDRC drag day.
I'm hoping it'll be able to run a mid 14 on road tyres and just a stage 1 tune.

Anyway here's how she's looking atm

·
Si
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #986 ·
And she sees the light of day again

There's still a few little bits to be done before the drag day. But I'm happy with how it's turned out.

Fingers crossed I'll get hold of the engine parts soon so I can start the build. Once again I've had some more ideas on turbo selection and what not. But I'll elaborate on that a bit later 😉

·
Si
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #988 ·
It's been a fair while since I've posted anything here. I am still doing stuff to the LCR and golf but you know me plans have changed about as usual.

I'm now a moderator on another forum that has only just started up so its properly in it's infancy. I've been putting progress updates there for the cupra.
If anyone is interested it's at

I will be continuing with the drag golf but the cupra is taking priority at the moment.

I'm thinking as I'm putting the 2.0 20v race engine in the cupra, I'm going to see if I can get hold of a audi 4.2 V8 then feed it man boost. It should be a better fit for the 1/4 mile, with the extra cc I would be able to run at least 2 proper sized turbos 😉👍

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Ur flipping crazy but I love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MonK-E

·
Registered
10,909 Posts
there a few kicking about on eBay ranging from 550 to a staggering 3300 pounds but that last one is low mileage, still in the car and comes with all ancillaries so can be heard running... all is depending on what you want/need to be on the 4.2 v8...

·
Si
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #992 ·
there a few kicking about on eBay ranging from 550 to a staggering 3300 pounds but that last one is low mileage, still in the car and comes with all ancillaries so can be heard running... all is depending on what you want/need to be on the 4.2 v8...
It'll probably be cheaper and easier to get a car with a 4.2 that way I can take what I need when I need it.

In other news I've managed to sell the big arse holset and have a fresh G series turbo on its way for the LCR with a genuine turbo smart wastegate. I've learnt my lesson with the cheap knock off valves and don't want issues with the new turbo setup

·
Si
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #993 · (Edited)
I thought I might as well post a brief overview of the engine build for the LCR.

Fist up all the parts and machine work from my good friends over at prorace engineering

And some cheeky tall boy billet main caps.

This time round I borrowed a proper ring grinder. Rather than being a ******* and using a angle grinder with a 1mm cutting disc

Then balanced the rods, pistons, pins and ring packs. Ready to drop in

Cleaned up the 2.0 tfsi crank with the 1.8t pump drive sprocket.

Done the clearance on all the bearings (old bearing shells in pic. Installed bearings are ACL race bearings)

Popped the PRE rods and JE 82.5 assembly's in

Lapped the valves in

Fitted the copper o-ring in the deck

Got hold of a set of IECVA2 cams

Made a adapter loom up for the maxxecu race. You can buy a plug in cable but as you know I'm tight, so I made my own one.

I finished the loom last weekend, yesterday I fired the stock engine up for the first time, still a few things to sort out on the calibration side. And for some reason the rad fans have decided they don't want to play now lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Totally unrelated to this thread but I've got zero response from anywhere else and I noticed this thread has tons of views and comments. I have a pd130 with immo3 cluster. Previous owner has removed LEDs from board so need to replace cluster. Mine has the coil light as engine management light, can I replace it with one that has the separate EML and will it work independently to the coil light? Or do I need another of the same with coil as EML? I've exhausted myself trying to find an answer to this. Help appreciated

·
Si
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #996 ·
Is that the new way to ring blocks?
Looks like you can use a much thicker wire and the joints are a lot better overlapped - than old school full ring on each bore
It's just the way I was told to do it by ProRace engineering. I belive the idea behind it is because the bores are quite close together, you only really have enough room for 1 groove between each cylinder. If 2 grooves were next to each other there wouldn't be enough meat left to support the copper wire and end up with a weak spot.
I like that the majority of the orings are just one bit, but it does have its down sides the centre two cylinders have an extra joint each with the semi circular part.
Either way it should be good for far more boost than the G30-770 can throw at it. Which is why it'll be force fed a bit of nitrous on top of that at the track, just to make use of the block upgrades 😉

·
Registered
931 Posts
Yes - the gap between cylinders is so small, individual rings would just be tiny gauge wire, with no real bite to grip the gasket - the way you have done it is much better.
I was watching a Subi performance vid on YT - iirc it was a Mk7 block he was ringing, the trouble he went to millport the grooves for full ring in each cylinder was pretty mad - even then he was just fitting very thin wire

981 - 997 of 997 Posts