Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
961 - 980 of 994 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just a thought regarding your Audi 80 5-speed box, I don’t know these particular gearboxes but in the past I have swapped the drive flanges on VW gearboxes in order to make them compatible with different driveshafts. Is this a possibility?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Si
Mk4 golf GTI/Mk1 Seat LCR
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #962 ·
Sorry for the long delay in updates, lots has been going on. Some good some bad. I haven't done a great deal to the tube chassis golf. But I have managed to get hold of CV joints and make up some solid engine mounts.

Now for a bit of bad news. I've been suffering from high blood pressure for the past year or so and have been on medication for it. My last trip to the doctors has seen my blood pressure shoot up again to above 150/120 (heading for a hypertension crisis) which makes me at very high risk of a heart attack/stroke. As I'm not getting any younger it was time to take this a bit more seriously. So they have doubled my dose and I've had to massively change my lifestyle.
The good bit is I'm cycling every other day and it's having a positive effect. Still quite a way to go but at least its now going in the right direction.

Whilst all this has been going on I have decided I want a road car to play with as well so I picked up a LCR for some giggles.

Why does it always rain when I go to pickup a black car lol

After a bit of a clean up and sitting next to the Mrs's car

One thing is for sure as this is pretty stock (just a stage 1 map and a small FMIC) it is by far the best handling mk4 chassis without mods. Its just like my old supercharged golf but that had nearly every handling mod under the sun and wasn't as comfortable either.
I do love how it instantly fitted my driving style like a pair of well worn in boots. Just about perfect. I didn't realise I've actually needed one of these for a long time.

And yes I wouldn't be me if I didn't modify it. I've got some plans for this and it doesn't involve roll cages or cutting the body apart. The LCR will be staying as a road car but I'll be giving it a fair bit more poke and adding a bit of what I think is taste full style.

So let the fun begin

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
i have been waiting for the prices to drop on these as i'll be damned to pay more than 1000 pounds for one... i mean i'm going to mess with it anyway meaning most of the suspension will be getting new bushes, a big old welly cooler, bigger injectors, another big turbo and downpipe with a custom map before the thing will actually be used as a daily.

have fun! i wouldn't hold back performance wise ;)

ps good to hear you are controlling the high blood pressure

·
Si
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #964 ·
i have been waiting for the prices to drop on these as i'll be damned to pay more than 1000 pounds for one... i mean i'm going to mess with it anyway meaning most of the suspension will be getting new bushes, a big old welly cooler, bigger injectors, another big turbo and downpipe with a custom map before the thing will actually be used as a daily.

have fun! i wouldn't hold back performance wise ;)
Yeah prices have dropped a bit. I paid 3k for this and it needs a bit of work. To be fair any 20 year old car is going to need some attention. Considering how local the car was (south east car prices are ridiculous) I think its a fair price. There's a few around here for 5k+ which in my opinion unless they are super mint they are way overpriced.

I'll be getting the head and block back from ProRace engineering later this month so I might build it up and drop it in the LCR to run it in and build another to replace it.
Turbo ideas at the moment are somthing along the lines of a g30-770.
Which should be plenty drivable on a 10:1 cr engine. As with normal MonK-E style it's all subject to change though.
The only thing certain of is the interior is staying 100% intact and I won't be putting a roll cage in it. After all that's what the crazy golf is for 😃

·
Registered
834 Posts
I paid less than £3k for the last 2 LCRs I bought combined :rolleyes:. I'm at the other end of the spectrum now though, and will be getting rid of mine shortly as the TT is almost on the road.

Sorry to hear about blood pressure issues - sounds like they're being sensible with it though, and so are you. Don't make the Golf too exciting I guess...!

·
Si
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #966 ·
I paid less than £3k for the last 2 LCRs I bought combined :rolleyes:. I'm at the other end of the spectrum now though, and will be getting rid of mine shortly as the TT is almost on the road.

Sorry to hear about blood pressure issues - sounds like they're being sensible with it though, and so are you. Don't make the Golf too exciting I guess...!
Yeah it's just the area I live in. A good condition mk4 gti still fetches just over 1k here.

Its just a part of life buddy, I'll adapt to the lifestyle changes, meds and what not and hopefully I'll be able to continue to play with drag cars without the possibility of my heart exploding 😂

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
Don't talk about it cars in Suffolk and Norfolk are generally more expensive than in the bordering counties... So yeah I do travel in most cases to buy cars... and i find cars up North to be the cheapest regardless of them having more mileage they are generally better cared for... any car around 1k around my area is usually best of at the scrappy , unless you got the time, money and know how to sort it out.

but for some reason the LCR's keep their price and i haven't ran into one yet under 2k that isn't in need of a full engine overhaul or a bodyshop. and if they are in god nick they are well around the 3k mark.

·
Si
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #968 ·
Don't talk about it cars in Suffolk and Norfolk are generally more expensive than in the bordering counties... So yeah I do travel in most cases to buy cars... and i find cars up North to be the cheapest regardless of them having more mileage they are generally better cared for... any car around 1k around my area is usually best of at the scrappy , unless you got the time, money and know how to sort it out.

but for some reason the LCR's keep their price and i haven't ran into one yet under 2k that isn't in need of a full engine overhaul or a bodyshop. and if they are in god nick they are well around the 3k mark.
Yeah my one isn't in the best condition body work wise. Its not bad though. It's got a few minor dents here and there, a couple of bumper scufs and numerous little scratches that I'm sure half of them will polish out. But to be fair it is nearly 20 years old.
I'll take a few pics soon of the worst ones that I'm considering repairing.
Mechanically it seems pretty sound and the interior isn't too bad either. There's a few bits I want to freshen up a bit but for a car that's done 110k it's pretty good, I've had plenty worse.
I've ordered a genuine touch up kit to do the very minor stuff. The medium ish dent I'm still thinking about how I'm going to go about it. Luckily it's a solid colour ebony black L041 so it shouldn't be too bad to blend the paint

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
L041 that is an oem vw colour mate it's deep black with a mirror shine to it... if I was you I would satin black it. It just means everything has the same colour, bodywork and grills and other plastic body parts making for one hell of murdered out look.

But that's completely up to you... nothing wrong with the L041either but the LCR mk1 has the perfect bodyshape for a satin black murdered out look.

·
Si
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #970 ·
L041 that is an oem vw colour mate it's deep black with a mirror shine to it... if I was you I would satin black it. It just means everything has the same colour, bodywork and grills and other plastic body parts making for one hell of murdered out look.

But that's completely up to you... nothing wrong with the L041either but the LCR mk1 has the perfect bodyshape for a satin black murdered out look.
Yeah gotta love vag for shearing parts including colours.
I do love a bit of satin black but I want to keep that for the grills and badges.
I'm going to attempt the paint repairs in the genuine colour so it should be OK.

These are the worst bits:

There's a couple of small dents on the lower rear wing (around where the paint chip is)

A small outward dent, in the rear door with a scratch

Then a few bumper scratches and scuffs

All in all imo not too bad for a near 20 year old car. In theory I should be able to do the majority with the touch up paint.

I also had a better offer up of the drag cooler

Unfortunately there's no chance this will fit under the bumper. Even with extensive modification to the rad surround it wold stick out of the bumper a good 1" or so.
Which means I'll have to grab a normal 600x300x76mm front mount at some point. Might as well save that for the big turbo conversion and do it all at once

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
You made the right decision on both intercooler and colour... think I would do the same to be fair. It doesn't look half bad at all

·
Si
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #972 ·
You made the right decision on both intercooler and colour... think I would do the same to be fair. It doesn't look half bad at all
Cheers buddy. Its all fairly easily repairable (I think)

For the scratches that haven't gone through the colour coat, I'll wash out with thinners then apply some more clear coat and flatten off with 2kgrit, 3k grit then 4kgrit. For the deeper stuff I think I've found some scratch leveling filler by 3m but I need to do a bit more research on that before I get a load

·
Si
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #974 ·
Good luck with the new health regime Si
Thanks buddy. I've already lost just over a stone of fat, which is having a positive effect on my blood pressure. Although now I get so dizzy from standing up after working on my knees for a bit. It's a bit of a pain in the arse but hey it's the least of my worries tbh.

Back to the LCR, a fmic turned up

But as you can see its a tube and fin design. Which is not what I ordered.
So I sent it back. They then sent out a bar and plate FMIC.

As soon as it turned up I knocked out a few little brackets. They still need shaping and painting, plenty good enough for initial mock up though. I've decided to do the wide mouth mod at the same time so I'll have to trim a bit more out of the bumper bar and add a reinforment tube across it to give it back a bit of stregnth

I've also had to pull the turbo. It's got over 1mm of axial play. Fortunately @rainbird gave me a k04 a while ago which has a cracked turbine housing. The CHRA is spot on though. So my idea was to swap the internals over and make 1 good turbo out of the 2

However my plans were scuppered a bit when I took the original turbo apart and found it was cracked in nearly the exact same way.

Apparently all k04s do this after a fair few miles so I'm going to choose the slightly less cracked housing and run it for now. It's only going to have to last about 6months or so before it's getting a big turbo.
On current thoughts of big turbos. I'm trying to sell the HX55 as eventually I want a even bigger turbo for the golf and could use the extra bit of cash to put it towards a G30 turbo. But it's been advertised for over a week now and no one has given a slight bit of interest in it. So... if it doesn't sell I think I might just throw it on the LCR.

While the front bumper is off I decided that I'm not going to patch repair the scuffs and scratches, I might as well re-spray it. And then I thought if I'm doing the front bumper I might as well do the rear at the same time. Then.... as the side skirts are off and one of them has some how managed to end up metallic, I'll do that at the same time lol.

So this weekend there's been lots of sanding and knife puttying

But then today disaster struck with a bit of a flash flood

Luckily it doesn't seem to have damaged much and it soon drained off.

So all I really managed to do today was fit and prime some diffuser fins lol

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
Lol i might just respray it, use other chra... same crack.. f-it i got a holset that will do just fine... wait for it.... soon this car will be in bits next to the project drag car.... aka don't do to much in one go mate... take it easy and chillax enough in between.

It's one of the reasons why i haven't made my daily look like new... it looks like a cared for used car, with battle scars... can't be arsed to make it look it's best, mechanically it is in top condition though.

·
Si
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #976 ·
I agree 100% it's far too easy to let it get out of hand like how the drag car started.
Once the bumpers are painted and the turbo is back on that's how it will stay for a good 6 months. Which will give me plenty of time to gather/fabricate parts for the BT conversion. That way I should be able to do the swap in one go with minimal down time on the car

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
did you check if you can repair the cracked housing with your mig welder? don't know if it will be a permanent fix but must be better than just leaving it with the crack. ( obviously you try it with the worst one first, if that seems to go oke than use that)

·
Si
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #978 ·
It did cross my mind. But decided against it as it'll just crack along the edge of the weld in no time at all. Its realistically possible a turbo in this condition would last a fair few years. but in my case it only has to last about 6 months so I'm really not worried about the cracks.

A little update, I've stencilled the cupra logo on the FMIC

I've also refitted the rebuilt turbo. A fellow VWDRC member donated a good condition K04 TIP. Not surebif I mentioned before but the one that came off the car was split

So with the engine stuff back on I fitted the new front mount and modified the bumper bar. I cut a lot of it out but there is a bar hidden underneath to reinforce it, which is fully welded each end and in the centre. Strangely enough it now feels stiffer than the original tin box

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
i actually like that cupra badge.... did you not consider replacing the oem S badges for the Cupra ones? and than delete all the other stuff? the moment i saw the cupra badges on the new cupra models i thought how good ot would look on the LCR mk1 mainly because ithink the LCR mk1 is their best looking model... i do like the newer ones but the mk1 LCR is just a timeless looking motor.

·
Si
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #980 ·
That would be pretty sweet to do a badge swap. I'm really not sure how it would be done though. I'm finding it really hard to find simple overlays for the mk1 badges. Seat seems to change the badge size on every version lol

961 - 980 of 994 Posts