Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
941 - 960 of 997 Posts

·
Si
Mk4 golf GTI/Mk1 Seat LCR
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #941 ·
it was 4wd you are going for right? might aswell fit the engine in the back you've gone far enough ;)
It would be fairly easy to do that from this stage. But I have other ideas.

I want to build a pro fwd car like in the US. No one seems to make them over this side of the pond, we'll at least not to the same standard. As far as I can tell no one has done it with a mk4 from what I can find. I've been watching a lot of PFI speed which is mainly Honda based but still such a awesome inspiration.
I'm hoping to end up with somthing along the lines of this

360.jpg

·
Registered
374 Posts

I want to build a pro fwd car like in the US. No one seems to make them over this side of the pond, we'll at least not to the same standard. As far as I can tell no one has done it with a mk4 from what I can find. I've been watching a lot of PFI speed which is mainly Honda based but still such a awesome inspiration.

360.jpg
YES!!!!

I know this is a car forum, filled with manly talk and grease but I feel that this pic deserves some kind of heart emoji...

Ok. 3 kinds.

Sent from my CPH2067 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts

360.jpg
it'll be great when the put the engine in, though probably should have done it back in the workshop! :D :lol-lol:

·
Si
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #945 ·
The weekend just gone I cut the door pillar out then had to add a fair few braces as the body got a little wobbly

360.jpg

Then started fabricating a chassis jig out of scrap laying about the yard.

360.jpg

The next day I finished it off and levelled it out

360.jpg

After reading through the spec a few times I started with the initial measurements and began laying out the main chassis legs

360.jpg

I've got the day off work tomorrow so I'll hopefully get the majority of the floor layed out and tacked together.
I can't do any of the bends at the moment, due to needing a new electric pump for the tube bender. Fingers crossed that'll turn up by the end of next week. If not I'll be stuck for a bit and probably end up chopping more out of what's left of the body

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Beast mode is on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MonK-E

·
Si
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #947 ·
That's the main floor layed out and tacked up. Now waiting on the pump for the tube bender to turn up so I can get on with the main hoop

360.jpg

·
Si
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #951 ·
Little bit of an update as it's been a while.

I recently sent my block and head off to pro race engineering for a bit of machine work and put in a large ish order for parts.
I've finally decided to go for new pistons as I don't trust the supertech ones any more. Which means it'll end up just under 2.0L
I'm also having billet mains and a few other bits done at the same time.

Any way back to the chassis.
I put the body back on so I could size and fit the main hoop, windscreen bars and what not

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

Once I had them tacked up, it was time to lift the body off and get the chassis back on the jig

360.jpg

Then started filling in all braces and made a start on the funny car hoop

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

Just about finished tacking all the tubes in for what's required by the 25.4 spec (just a couple of windscreen braces left to add)

360.jpg

Next I'll be looking at mocking the engine back up so I can do the upper frame rails and engine mounts

·
Si
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #953 ·
Yeah finding the time to be able to concentrate properly on cage work can be quite difficult. Especially with work and then the extra fab work I do for people on the side.
I've still got a set of control arms to finish off (hopefully tonight) before I can get back on my own stuff. Then there's the bug project that still needs a full loom making up and both manifolds still to fabricate. So many things to do and very little time for myself lol

·
Registered
931 Posts
Always great to see an update on this.

I am lost, is this to be FWD or 4WD?

I assume FWD as no hoops added for prop shaft to rear diff.

·
Si
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #956 ·
Couple more tubes done, only about 12 more to go for the main chassis

360.jpg

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Couple more tubes done, only about 12 more to go for the main chassis

360.jpg
Looking so good man

Reactions: MonK-E

·
Si
2,920 Posts
This weekend I finished off the back end reinforcement

360.jpg

I've been looking into longitudinal fwd transmissions and have found no one makes a gear set for my current box. So I made the decision to downgrade to be able to upgrade. The new box is out of a audi 80 v6, it's only a 5speed but its the same transmission used in the brazilian gol gti 2.0 16v.
Which I have found a gearset for and has proven to take over 1100hp.
The other bonus is that it's a good few inches shorter so I can move the engine further back.

The big down side is finding compatible inner cv joints. They have the od flange of 130mm and tripod plunge type that I can't seem to find anywhere other than second hand for silly money.

360.jpg

With the box swapped over, I re aligned the engine and finished off the front bracing around where the suspension will mount

360.jpg

I spent the majority of Sunday fabricating 1 engine mount

360.jpg

Then decided I'd better test fit the shell before I get to crazy with final welding all the tubes and what not

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

I'm really pleased how tight it fits. A few minor notches needed in the boot area but other than that it slotted straight on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Si, I have to say this project is just awesome. I’ve been following it on and off for quite a long time and I am so impressed at how nothing phases you.
The fabrication side of things is amazing and I would love to learn how to do it myself. Watching you create bespoke parts from the raw materials is inspiring me to do more.
Looking forward to the next instalment!
Rich

941 - 960 of 997 Posts