Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1020 Posts

·
Si
Mk4 golf GTI/Mk1 Seat LCR
2,924 Posts
I thought it best I start a new thread, although allot of the parts I'm going to be using from my 5dr technically it is still another car. I'll also most likely be taking a slightly different direction on this one too (no promises though ;) )

For any one who hasn't seen what I was up to with the previous car, MonK-E's old GTI

Any way new car, new motivation, new ideas and what not

ED0555BB-1EE4-4368-A288-FD456A5D1B85_zps

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For anyone who's interested in the 2.0 8v supercharger build.
It starts here http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/371674-monk-es-gti-soon-to-be-eaton-charged-20/page-9

The next stage of the cars long development plan... supercharger + BT
http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/371674-monk-es-supercharged-20-mk4/page-24

·
Si
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha yeah, The other 5door tub is free to any one who wants to collect it, ill just sell the other unwanted parts off

I think I will just keep this one as a fast road/occasional track day car with a touch more focus on making it look nice. lol I might even keep the interior, though I haven't really fully decided that yet. Either way it'll handle well and go quick ;)

·
Si
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Chris. I give you a shout when im at that stage :Y:

Not much for making plans any more as they always seem to have a habit of changing. But I want to stick my AGU engine in and up grade it to run on later management. Obviously I'm going to stick all my nice parts on what I've taken off my old car.
If it's ready by apex I'll be there

·
Si
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not much happening this weekend, unfortunately the Mrs is working all weekend so I'm on child minding duties. Still here's another pic of the car, it's already been lowered 30mm on b4 sport shocks and has 25mm rear spacers and 15mm front. Other than that it's pretty standard.
Obviously the suspension an wheels aren't staying on there as they are no match for kw v3s and TD pro race 3 wheels.

0199D88D-03AA-47B0-85A5-FF59BA808EB3_zps

First step was to get the ole laptop out and retrieve the SKC and pull the eeprom data from the clocks ;)

32468B5E-F06D-4CBD-B1D9-5133D981B682_zps

·
Registered
142 Posts
So glad this has finally ended up in your hands its always been more apealing to the eye without the extra doors,im quite surprised you havent put the wind deflectors on the blue golf yet though.

·
Si
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I'm rather pleased as its a nice free upgrade. so many things to do, its hard to figure out a plan of where to start. I think mechanically speaking ill start at the back and work my way forward

blue golf is a 5door, they wont fit

·
Si
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No seam welding on this one (takes far too much effort) and possibly no cage as I think I might keep the interior.

The engine needs at least a set of rods before it sees its new chassis.

which is why ill start at the back and work forward. I am still going to brace the rear beam as I've wanted to do that for quite some time and it gives me an excuse to give the beam a new coat of paint. Also will be fitting 256 rear callipers which I'm going to make my own stainless steel spacers for as I'm far to tight to pay for some ;)

·
Si
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Made a start on the rear beam today, just stripped it down and started cleaning it up for strengthening in a couple of places.

E02A2818-8826-46A3-8992-95F7B96AECB9_zps

Some people might remember my plan from earlier. I'll recap anyway.

I've spent a fair while researching the design of the rear beam and how it flexes. Which has brought me to the conclusion that the best way to modify it would be to copy the discontinued VWMS reinforcement plates that get welded between the stub axle mount and the beam pivot.
This design keeps the dynamic camber ability (the reason the beam pivots are at an angle on the mk4) without restricting it. But reduces unwanted toe deflection when cornering hard..

They used these only for one season but that was only due to homologation rules not really allowing this type of mod. I'm not going to be racing so obviously those rules do not apply to me

DC1CB133-0844-4A15-8104-327C03440B94_zps

Hopefully start fabricating these tomorrow :)

·
Si
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Plenty of clearance with 7"wide wheels and 15mm spacers. Won't actually need the spacers but I like to keep the track reasonably square front to rear ;)

1 - 20 of 1020 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.