Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right chaps, dunno about the rest of you...but if your anything like me you are always on the look out for ways to save money (without) getting a 3 cylinder diesel lupo with 10bhp....

So, tell me your top money saving tips.

My first one has to be Freeview, saves us loads loads of money over the old Sky...

Saving = £40 p/m

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
  • Check USwitch for best electric and gas deals out there.
  • Dont pay mobile insurance just keep last years handset.
  • check your Direct debits and standing orders... if your affairs are complicated there maybe one or two you have forgotton
  • fit energy saving bulbs EVERYwhere... it will make a huge difference.
  • get the loft insulated.
  • spend ten pounds on door draught excluders, and check for draughts with a candle/lighter round the seam
  • when folks ask what you want for christmas/birthdays ask for toiletries etc.. My Mum buys me a retail pack of 50 mach 3 razors and other stuff for christmas it usually lasts me a year.
  • If you live alone ... make sure collect the 25% discount on your council tax
  • if you have a home phone add what minutres you use on that to your mobile contract and see if you can just use your mobile and ditch the calls on the land line.

·
Registered
471 Posts
right chaps, dunno about the rest of you...but if your anything like me you are always on the look out for ways to save money (without) getting a 3 cylinder diesel lupo with 10bhp....

So, tell me your top money saving tips.

My first one has to be Freeview, saves us loads loads of money over the old Sky...

Saving = £40 p/m
getting rid of sky for freeview[:O] surley you will pay more by going out because there is nothing on?

what about setting up a standing order for a little amount each month to an account with no card. so you have to go into the branch for money or have to sign a form to release the money

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
When ya phone a freind on their mobile let it ring 2 times and hang up .......9 times out of ten they will ring back and they obviusly pay for the call ...saves you money ......

i had a freind who did this alot , it didnt take long for some of us to realise what he was doing ....lol

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Walk to work. Due to political reasons I drive 10 minutes to my aunt's house, park up then walk 20 minutes to the office. I can walk the entire journey in 30 minutes [:cool:]

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Charge your phone/camera/MP3 at work or in the car (lol)

Turn off lights/TV/PC/amp/sub etc when not using them at home

Buy a thick tog duvet for the winter to save on having the heating on all night

Drive sensibly as opposed to full pelt at least some of the time

Dont smoke in the house. You will smoke less when you have to go out in the wet or cold! Same goes for the car, chew gum. Plus your car wont ming!

Dont impulse buy. Only buy something you need or really want. Look around for the best price.

Buy a years worth of clothes and trainers when you go to the US (like I do every year, go out with 2 suitcases, come back with 3)

Sell all your old crap on ebay. If you dont want it or need it, sell it. What you cant sell on ebay take to a car boot

Packed lunch not petrol station sandwiches!!

Fill your tank to the brim. It will save you sitting in a queue and or spending money on treats in the petrol station.

Do all your shopping at the supermarket to save you popping down Spar all the time to pay £1.20 for a loaf of bread etc

Buy a push bike and ride to the shops, the gym, the pub etc instead of the car. Even ride to work on nice days if you can. Its actually quite pleasant!

At XMAS, get everyone to buy you Asda/tescos/Sainsburys vouchers. That way you wont get people wasting money on the usual pointless crap you get and never use, plus you wont have the cash to blow on crap you dont need in the sales!

Search ebay before you buy anything! I buy all sorts of household stuff on there, including Mach 3 razor blades in bulk at a huge saving!

·
Registered
471 Posts
da_cortez:Getting rid of sky for freeview
Surprise
surley you will pay more by going out because there is nothing on?
bazking69:

As opposed to 999 channels of crap and nothing on anyway?
Stick out tongue

skysports 1/2/3 and xtra has you sorted for the weekends a few evenings during the week[:D] and im sure there are a few cartoon channels for you bazking[Y]

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
If you are sensible with the money get a cashback card, then rack up some money on that. Obviously you have to clear the card every month, so only if your good with money.

Don't boil a whole kettle of water for two cups, just boil what you need.

Doing pasta ? Boil the water in the kettle instead of on the hob, uses far less energy and is quicker too.

Energy saving light bulbs everywhere.

Loft Insulation.

Cavity Wall Insulation - You can get very good grants on this now.

If your buying stuff online, do it on a site like mutualpoints.com or one of the other cashback sites.

Goin local ? Walk, run or use the bike instead of short trips in the car.

Turn off stuff properly, are you really THAT busy that it has to be left on standby ? Do you REALLY need it left on standby so it'll turn on 0.005 of a second quicker the next day ?

Use the economy wash setting on the washing machine.. do you really need to do a load of washing for four items ? Ya usin' the same amount of water and leccy, so ya may as well fill 'er up !

Shower instead of bath - Do you REALLY need to shower every single day ?

Turn the thermostat down a bit.. does the hot water cylinder need to be on "scalding" setting ?

Check to see if you can get a cheaper or better value mobile tariff.. there's so much competition, mobile firms are falling over themselves to give you a better deal.

In 'La Voiture'....

Make sure the tyres are at the correct pressure.

Don't nail it... well not all the time [;)]

Share a lift to work if you can. We do this at work and it works very well.

If you can, leave the air con off and close the windows, it only saps more juice.

Don't drive around with a load of crap in the car, it's just dead weight. Why drive with a full tank if ya only goin roud ntown or short trips. I try to keep mine about 1/4 of a tank (unless i'm goin on a long trip obviously !)

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
skysports 1/2/3 and xtra has you sorted for the weekends a few evenings during the week[:D] and im sure there are a few cartoon channels for you bazking[Y]
Lol, I'm more a gold man, Knightrider, A team etc

Granted, skysports is good for us footy maniacs.

Heres another one. If you are paying gym membership, use it. And also take advantage of nice long showers at their cost instead of theirs.

·
Registered
423 Posts
tesco screenwash £1 as much as u like in 5 minutes from the machine at their petrol station....where as halfords premixed is £2.99 for 5liters and esso consentrate is £3.50ish for 1litre you do the math

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
A lot of the tips on hear are great unless you have a GF or wife. Try implementing some of these tips when there are three women in the house (wife and 2 teenage daughers)

For example I have lost track on the number of times I have tried to tell my daughter not to have 1/2 hour showers !!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts