Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took one of these out yestee.......WOW [:D]

Wot a car, handling is AMAZING! it has quite a bit of go although cos its a bigger car u dont feel how fast ur actually going! Really good trim finish, all the gagets, looks nice!

Got offered a reeeeeeeeally good deal too if I was to purchase [8)]

Gets my vote!

·
Registered
221 Posts
The mondeo is a very good car.......always has been I suppose. It looses its value so fast though. Not something I would buy as a personal car purely because of that fact. I had one as a company car though and really couldnt fault it.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Think this car will be the start of a mega hp derv battle between Ford and Vauxhall. It has taken them both long enough to realise people want fast economical cars and to catch up with the VAG group!

As has already been said though, I would never buy a new one. Would be as well buying a 2nd hand one and throwing a few grand in to the wind!!

Despite all its plus points however, its still 5 bhp short if the Ibiza 160 TDi Cupra...!!

Anyone got any idea of the bhp in the forth coming GTi badged Golf diesel? My stealer reckons 170 or 180 or 300 ft/lbs....

·
Registered
111 Posts
My old mans up for a new car in the next 6 months and it has to be a ford(discount ticket),wasn't anything in there range i liked until i saw the ST TDCI!He's coming round to the idea thanks to my gentle coaxing[;)]

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I am very impressed with them too. There is a blue ST220 with the same kit as the ST TDCI and 18" wheels, leather/alcantara Recaros, Sat Nav, the lot and its such a nice looking car. If it weren't for the crippling depreciation and Mondeo image I would be very tempted, lot of car for the money.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote: posted by djhorace on 28/10/2004 17:52:34

Despite all its plus points however, its still 5 bhp short if the Ibiza 160 TDi Cupra...!!

Ive driven a Cupra 160 too and although quick I found the interior finish quality appauling

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I had a standard TDCI Mondeo the other month when my golf was in for some work at VW. I was very impressed with the handling and the engine was smoother and quieter than my TDI, even to the fact that I managed to fill it with unleaded.

·
Registered
798 Posts

But the Mondeo has a trick up its sleeve, it can produce nearly 300lb/ft temporarily with its 'transient overboost' that's quite a bit more than the Ibiza's 243lb/ft

·
Registered
798 Posts
I doubt it, weight becomes less important with those levels of torque, it's like saying your Golf for example would eat a 330d.. not likely

·
Registered
990 Posts
Weight is always a factor. How do you know a 150pd can't take a 330D, have you driven one against a beemer?

·
Registered
131 Posts
i got both and my 330d would mash my pd150..and i mean mash ...the 330 has the most outrageous power on tap ...and mine r both standard ..but even a chipped pd would struggle i think ...but i dont really know ..for sure ..go to the BMW dealers and try a manual not a auto and tell me they aint fun...also ...i bought a manual cos the auto drinks diesel compared to the manual ..

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I think comparing the Mondeo ST 155 and Ibiza 160 is a lot closer a comparison than a 150PD Golf and a 330D BMW. Engine size and configurations are very similar in the Ford and Seat and the size and weight of the Mondeo would definitely have an effect on performance despite the extra torque.

I am sure the Ibiza would be quicker than the Mondeo too. The Mondeo does not boast a 0-60 time of around 7 secs or close on 140mph top speed. Maybe through the gears it would be close but I would put my money on the Ibiza in any race against the Mondeo.

Comparing the 150PD Golf against a 330D BM is like putting a 1.8T Golf against a Subaru Impreza WRX. Standard v Standard and Tuned v Tuned, the Scoob would always wipe the floor with the Golf.

I remember a thread recently here that quoted 200 bhp for a variant of the the Vectra 1.9CTDi. I expect within a year or so, rep mobiles will boast an option of a WRX power equalling derv mobile. This could only be a good thing eh?!!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Quote: posted by budgie on 04/11/2004 10:13:18

i got both and my 330d would mash my pd150..and i mean mash ...the 330 has the most outrageous power on tap ...and mine r both standard ..but even a chipped pd would struggle i think ...but i dont really know ..for sure ..go to the BMW dealers and try a manual not a auto and tell me they aint fun...also ...i bought a manual cos the auto drinks diesel compared to the manual ..

I note the word WOULD. You haven't tried it then have you? A friend of mine with a superchipped 150pd was hanging on to the back of a superchipped 330d at a recent track day. Mash, I don't think so.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Lol at Irish! [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

I agree with you mate!!

Going back to the mention of torque not mattering with weight - it must do!

A chipped/standard golf/bmw/mondeo/lada/ssanyong etc etc will always be faster with one person than 5 people in it regardless of torque levels.

Having never seen a 150PD race a 330d, cant comment, but my money would be on the BM. COf course, it depends how far both cars have been tuned. A 250bhp NOS'd Golf TDi would have a fair chance of beating a 230bhp BM. Tuned could be + 30bhp or + 200bhp.

My 2p's worth [:D]

·
Registered
565 Posts
How much is the ST155? Sounds nice.

On the great 330D debate, doesn't it have ridiculous amounts of torque on tap? I love my PD, but i know which one i'd have out the 2 - mapped or otherwise.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Just plucked these out of AT...

'BMW 330 DIESEL SPORT, 33500 miles, black, BMW service history, Harmon Kardon stereo system, M3 sports pack ,including multi function steering wheel, Xenon headlights, 18 MV alloys, CD player, cruise control,company car forces sale' - 19K pounds

'2000 BMW 330D SE (DIESEL), W reg. 60000 miles, 1 owner, FBMWSH, E/W & E/M, leather, ASC, MFS, air-con, cruise, climate, bluetooth kit, 6 disc auto changer, 18 MV alloys, RCL with alarm/immobiliser, immaculate. . . . . . ' 13K pounds

1 - 20 of 26 Posts